Random crashes to the desktop

So far, I have nothing in the Community folder and yet I get these CTDs every now and then it seems. Haven’t been able to find any pattern, they seem completely random.

Also as mentioned in my post above, I’ve seen different .dll files referenced. So I guess that mean it can be various things causing these.

I didn’t have ctd before the navblue update now I always have ctd on loading screen :angry::angry::angry:

I’ve been getting some random ctds for the first time since the last patch myself. Just got back into the sim too to try out the CJ4 mod, but the constant CTDs are a problem.

1 Like

@SuperfluidZero, what does that even mean? And what is it you’re stating makes the sim unplayable?

1 Like

@WebMaxxximus, Community folder difficulties is only one of many things that potentially cause unexplained CTDs. There was a recent thread here that found that most people, maybe even almost all, have never had a truly “unexplained” CTD. Many of those people found that once they eliminated Community folder causes, all of their CTDs could be explained by older bugs that were found and fixed.

A couple of the most common examples include turning the VRF map on in flight, or pressing the “wrong” button in several Carenado payware aircraft, and both of those issues have long since been resolved.

There’s lots of things that can contribute to CTDs. These include (but are by no means limited to) unstable overclocks, PC parts that work most (but not all) of the time, say a memory module that is 98% reliable, or a PSU that is only 99% reliable. (These are only hypothetical examples, it could be just about anything inside a PC that isn’t in tip-top condition.)

Community issues are, naturally, the top leading cause of CTDs, which naturally can be frustrating because they can be difficult to track down, but the alternative is for you the end-user to never use a 3rd party add-on, or even for Asobo to go so far as to remove the Community folder feature completely.

Anyway, those are the likely reasons that it can appear so random, because it can come from so many different places.

As you say, troubleshooting these kind of intermittent issues which can’t be recreated on demand usually is very hard.

In my particular case, I can at least rule out issues related to stuff in the community folder and as for my PC, it is overclocked but I’m positive it’s 100% (or at least 99.9% :wink:) stable.

Next time I get one of these CTDs, I’ll collect the details from the log and post here. So we can see which different .dlls are causing the crashes. Maybe that can serve as a hint what might be the actual culprit for at least some of them.

I CTD’d after a 1 hr flight from the Bahamas into KMIA a few minutes before landing. I had REX Weather Force + Bijan Seasons + Spikes fix (and some addon sceneries) active in the Community folder and the weather turned “strange” (i.e. nearly no clouds suddenly despite weather maps showed rain which I had until nearing the coast) before, thus I suspect it has something to do with weather.

There’s an error number 1000 and an event entry which mere mortals are unable to take advantage of:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.12.13.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5fda3fe4
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.12.13.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5fda3fe4
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000043df8a
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3dd4
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6ea0be6d86c55
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: K:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: K:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: 7e98a0f0-3901-42f3-a0ba-559e16f596d3
*Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: *
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

This is my first CTD since quite some time. I resigned from a Zendesk report in this case, as I already know the answer which taken seriously would occupy me for a day with little hope for a result.

Start cleaning your Rolling Cache , had the same prob , started 2 days ago. First deleted all addons, did not help. Then I cleaned up the rolling cache and added them back to the folder, after that I had no CTDs anymore, 8h Flight since then. Maybe this advice will help someone.

Turning the quality of the clouds down to medium seems to have solved most of my ctd’s; fingers crossed

never had them before and get them every day now over last week or so. I want to try your rolling cache idea - what exactly do you mean by clean it? Just remove the folder and re-generate it?

Besides the Community addons, there are many possible causes. I had consistently reproducible CTDs when approaching NYC, often right at the same waypoint. In that case, deleting and recreating my rolling cache helped. I also think reverting my nvidia drivers helped, but I still get them occasionally.

There are lots of potential causes, and lots of threads about them, but they are hard to read through because they get filled with arguments like “I’ve never had a CTD so it must be your PC”. I think they’ve gotten worse with recent updates, but… (shrug)

1 Like

yes, clean it complete and it will load it again refreshed after deleting it. takes a few moments but then i had no probs anymore

1 Like

cheers buddy!

The graphical glitch that looks like a “tear” in the clouds/sky. The random crashes to desktop are a problem – though last night I got an update which was pretty stable. I thought I had previously installed 1.12.13 when it was released, but the version number said 1.12.13, so not entirely sure what is going on.

There is a MEGAThread where this is being discussed.

No Cache at all, never used one.

Looking at the dll being referenced, that sounds like Nvidia. What version of the Nvidia drivers are you using? I’ve read 457.30 is a good version which was released before Nvidia screwed up their drivers. Which they’ve now said will be fixed in…was is sometime Feb?

@WebMaxxximus
You need to actually open that thread and have a read. The thread starts in August. The number of different scenarios is a bit mind numbing but there is a trend. Generally speaking we are talking about dll exceptions that point to more than simply drivers, although there are some cases…

For those interested, there is a large thread that addresses CTD. You may also vote on this thread if you desire.

Closing this thread as it is a duplicate.