Random mods being deleted without input

I have an odd issue that has been happening for I’m not sure how long as I only noticed it a few weeks back. The Sim will randomly delete mods from the Official folder (these mods were all purchased on the Marketplace). The most common ones are the Aerosoft CRJ and Twin Otter and this time as well it deleted Berlin, Munich, Paderborn and La Palma but other various developers. I’m not sure if this is post SU9, because I flew the CRJ around the day of the patch, but I am not sure if it was before or after the patch actually dropped (but I am leaning towards after).

Anyone have any ideas?

Mods don’t go into the official folder, they go into the community folder. The official folder is scanned and files updated every time the som starts, and that includes removing files that shouldn’t be there.

(Unless they are marketplace downloads?)

1 Like

As I said, they are Marketplace purchases, which do go into the official folder.

2 Likes

I have the same issue, but with mods in my community folder. I use MSFS Addons Linker to manage my addons, and I randomly have deletions all over the place. The CRJ, DHC-6, DC-6, Drzewiecki/Flightbeam scenery, etc. I also get these weird deletions of the layout.json and manifest.json in many addons (mainly from flightsim.to) which the .json files were definitely there the day before. Strange is all I can say.

A lot of people say it’s best to purchase outside of the marketplace. There have been issues with the Marketplace ever since the sim was launched.

Sorry, don’t know how I missed that.

Can you log in to Marketplace when the sim starts and see all of your purchases? i.e. See that you own them even though they aren’t installed?

It doesn’t look like anti-virus behavior if whole folders are removed, but you should probably check it anyway

try checking your content manager. they may need updates.

I’m only using Windows Defender, but it hasn’t picked up anything. So It doesn’t seem to be that sadly.

I am checking the Content Manager, that’s how I first noticed they were gone when they showed up in the ‘Uninstalled’ section. Subsequently checking of the Official directory showed they weren’t there either, since I figured maybe it was just confused.

this simply shouldnt happen

they can be ‘unusable’ or wont load if they need an update (particularly this happens on updates) but otherwise they should Never be removed without you telling the game to do so
Entire folders going away sounds more like a bad hard drive or something, single files disappearing would suggest antivirus maybe?

the only possible way i can think of for these getting ‘deleted’ by the game would be if your trying to use 2 different ms accounts on this machine, ie if your logging into an account that doesnt have the addons and logging into the game they may get removed because of no license (just a guess here)

this is just what happens when the game gets updated, like in su9 or w/e, they get moved to ‘uninstalled’ untill they are current (ms cant require a mandatory update and may not have any update for this 3rd party content so they dont put it as ‘needs update’), its what is supposed to happen - so if you dont play often Always check for updates and such in Marketplace and Content Manager

heck, for all i know they may now uninstall some or all 3rd party content before every update, similar to telling us to remove all community mods, this may be a safeguard for the installation process - tho i havent noticed this before

I know right…

Nope only have one account.

I have other Marketplace purchased items that haven’t been updated for a while and haven’t been deleted between updates though (like some of Drezwickis US stuff and Flightbeams Portland and number of other things). And I play a lot, like probably an unreasonable amount. I just hadn’t used the CRJ, Twotter or those airports for a while since I’ve been sticking around Oceania. I usually check to see if there are updates every couple weeks, unless the little exclamation mark appears at the top of the main menu on the bell icon.

Maybe there is a time limit on things and Asobo automatically uninstalls things if you haven’t used them for a long time when an update comes around??? That’d be weird… Or maybe the game is moving them, like you say, but its confusing itself and rather than pseudo flagging them as uninstalled its actually uninstalling them. Or maybe if there isn’t enough space during an update it will delete mods (but the drive still has 150GB free on it, although I did delete Cyberpunk the other week and its around 60GB so may have been 90GB free when the patch dropped).

Either way, I’m just going to DL these things again and see what happens.

Moved to #self-service:install-performance-graphics

that is wierd i seriously doubt its timed haha, idk maybe it has to do with whats updated? aircraft may be more prone to issues both for the game or the addon for example, scenery is Huge so only certain areas are even looked at each turn

all the Packages work the same, there is no ‘flag’ to disable them, if they are in Official\OneStore or Community they get loaded - its that simple
infact i have some official content moved out so i can use addonlinker to enable/disable them quickly [shh dont tell anyone :P]
most people dont really realize the main game packages work exactly like our community addons but they do