Rant: For a VR update, Occulus should be plug and play

Oculus rift was the first VR unit released to the public, it and the quest are probably the most affordable and popular headsets on the market.

But for the last 2 weeks trying to get it to work is like pulling teeth. Elsewhere, I can get Occulus to work flawlessly on indie games from teams of 4 people. I, a pretty technical user, cannot get a rift s to work in VR even on the beta and reading the help documents.

How wasn’t this tested and shipped with all the code needed to make it work out of the box?

I’m usually pretty positive but this is just unacceptable.

Sorry to hear, It works fine, has to be your settings.

Works fine for me just press CTRL Tab

That’s my point. When I boot up half life alyx, or beat saber, my settings don’t matter, it just works.

I plug in the headset, go to options switch to VR and the monitor splits in 2 but the headset shows nothing.

thats not how its done, you dont go to options, you press ctrl and tab at the same time, also, make sure your headset is plugged in before you start MSFS

you may need to restart your PC before VR works , i did.

im assuming you can see your desktop in your headset before you start MSFS ?

How wasn’t this tested and shipped with all the code needed to make it work out of the box?

It was tested but the problem was that because people were so keen on getting the VR to work the Oculus OpenXR implementation wasn’t ready.

Only a workaround was in place at the time of VR release for Oculus and that’s why they initially said that the MSFS VR would only work with the WMR headsets while rest would come later. They did a mistake for trying to cater for eager people who don’t know how to work with instructions like “put Oculus software on beta channel” and “edit registry to make OpenXR look for Oculus OpenXR runtime”. Unfortunately it is what it is. An out of the box ecperience for Oculus will come in time when both OpenXR and Oculus makes their software work with each other without too much hassle.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean, it was plug + play for me. Have since switched to a G2 though, and that was plug and play too!

I just ordered a powered USB c hub to see if it helps. Yet to get Occulus to work. I am playing other VR games with no real issues.

Open XR Seems to be the issue. I have Occulus on beta but either it doesn’t recognize the location of openXR or it just splits the monitor screen but the picture never makes it to the headset.

I have an original rift. It was plug and play for me. I just pressed ctrl tab and everything worked.

1 Like

“VR failed to initialize, make sure open XR is installed”. Not very plug and play

…but you have to download the Oculus Software…

You can set it aside and come back in a few months if you don’t like it.
It’s great they got it out for all of us to enjoy instead of holding it off for a few people who can’t/won’t follow a couple of instruction steps…

It works fine for me. Once I downloaded the beta Oculus software it is pretty much plug and play. Now I only fly in VR, I just can’t go back to using a 2D monitor again.

Everything seemed to be working for me, it opens in steam vr and is 2D. When i go to press cntrl tab says no headset detected… Im using 2.0 usb at the moment to test it out until my cable arrives. Is this going to prevent it detecting the headset? Even if its detected in steam VR?

I solved it by getting a powered usbc hub, reinstalling Occulus drivers, and doing the regedit for open XR.

It works now but I still maintain it should be simpler.

Some of the issues could have been from my Occulus unit. Either way closed it as solved.

1 Like

For those having an Oculus headset please don’t download OpenXR tool, it’s useless. Oculus Software have its own OpenXR implementation and you just have to point your registry on it, but it should be already correctly set by default if you didn’t mess with OpenXR itself or the Steam OpenXR implementation.

3 Likes

I agree, the whole process should be simpler, I have used link most of the time but now I have tried vd its easily as good if not better, I also changed my ethernet cable to cat8 and that upped my speed from 3.5 to 12, amazing.
Hopefully we will be given a choice at start up asking which way you want to go, steamvr or openxr.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.