Real fog / low visibility

Even if there’s no slider as such in weather menu, I would expect sim to atleast match the real visibility as per METAR which it doesn’t do atm. There are regions in which maximum visibility (without rain or fog) doesn’t exceed 6SM more often than not but sim shows crystal clear surroundings.

3 Likes

Haze is also a big issue. even when HZ is present in IRL metar, it does not appear in sim. For places in the ME such as DXB or BAH, this is an issue as it looks way way to clear, especially in the summer months. Changing the aerosol value improves this a lot, however I’ve noticed the live weather doesn’t seem to ever change the aerosol value even though, when looking at meteoblues site, i have found they have aerosol maps, these values however have not been put into the sim by the looks of it

1 Like

This is how the following METAR should look like

VIJU 280330Z 2806/2818 16005KT 6000 FEW025 SCT100 TEMPO 2812/2816 34005KT 6000 FEW025 FEW030TCUCB SCT100

Yes I think you are correct. The aerosol setting is not implemented in real weather (yet). I think I saw a discussion on this shortly after release, can’t find it now though.

Any thoughts that this would be introduced within SU7?

I have recently encountered fogs at EDDM… much more frequently than at other airports around Europe.
Two issues though:
Visibility/ceiling still too “high” even in the most foggy of fogs. Borderline CATII/CATIII conditions, I haven’t encountered ceilings less than 200 ft or indefinite ceilings (vertical visibility - VER VIS).
Some airports get fogs very often, even when there are none IRL and at some airports the fogs are nonexistent even when it’s like the third day in a row with a fog.

I believe that in SU7 when the METARs will get blended more “properly” with Meteoblue model, we’ll get more fogs because of a more precise weather model.
I don’t know if the visibility/ceiling will be different though, I think that will come later in 2022 as Jorg said with the even better weather system.
We’ll see.

1 Like

I wish to see more to be honest. Almost 4 days in a week, the weather is foggy in EDDM, but whenever I open a flight just to test it, what I see only scattered clouds or some low level clouds and they don’t reduce the visibility really.

Fingers crossed for the SU7 though.

1 Like

Well I don’t know about you guys but I’ve made my first proper (NO DH) autoland yesterday.
With all its quirks the weather system has, we finally have real deal fogs.

2 Likes

Great for you. As I mostly fly VFR I’m grounded the best part of the year.

I agree, low visibility conditions are finally here, although not a perfect implementation as of now since it’s strictly based on METAR for particular airport. I noticed some abrupt weather changes especially if there are multiple weather stations close to aircraft’s position but nevertheless, a HUGE shout out to Asobo for integrating METAR visibility conditions into live weather.

2 Likes

With all due respect, a “sim” is not supposed to give you the best possible flying conditions, you still have weather presets though.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful, but I fly about 400-600 hours per year all over the country (North America) and only 2-3 times per year do we experience weather that is right at minimums. Most of the time it is descent weather or the lowest ceilings are 800-1,500 feet and visibility 2-3 miles.