Real World Pilots, please state your feedback about the flight model

After few days with the Flight Simulator, i personaly like the Flight Model find it pretty realistic as a real World GA Pilot.
Enjoyed how the nature act with the Planes, and you feel Airborne.
Can not speak for the Jet’s obviously, but the Landing for my taste are to easy.
When you nail some of tail Draggers in a Side Slip on the Runway like it is possible in MSFS2020 dont think you would leave in one Piece…

1 Like

True…good point. I’ve only been flying the C152, C172 and cubs so far and they feel very good with a full size stick (PFT Puma) w/o centering…but my PFT Puma has friction adjustment and stays where I let go of it. There is a little bit of force whenever you move it. When I took the spring out of my T16000M (which is the same stick as the Airbus branded stick) i sanded down the ball at the bottom to get the same effect. I agree that a stick that just flops around would be very unrealistic.

I have about 190 hours in the Cessna 152, 65 hours in the Cessna 172 and 20 hours in the Cirrus SR22. I have hours in other types but these are the aircraft that we have in game. Here is my opinion.

The flight model is very good. Takeoff and roll out are very similar to the actual aircraft. The aircraft seem to be more like a brand new plane, with more power than I am used too, especially in the 152. As planes get older they get a bit more inefficient unless they get a major overhaul. They rock and roll in the wind just like the real planes. PFactor seems a bit more subdued than the actual aircraft, I can throw the throttle all the way in and wont get much torque feeling unlike the real aircraft. Stalls seem good up to a point, I can’t seem to get the plane into a spiral of death.

I would like to see a bit more buffeting at high speed. I was cruisning around at Vmo in the 172 at low altitude and the plane just wanted to go faster without a lot of drama. In the real plane at these speeds the control surfaces would be heavy and the plane would buffet around with a ton of wind noise. These are very nitpicky issues though. Overall I feel like this is the best simulation flight model I have ever experienced.

I should add, simulation wise these planes are way too tough, I should be seeing my oil temps getting dangerously high when flying at max throttle for extended periods of time, but I will leave that area of advanced simulation to the A2A team.

And still more. In order to feel more like the real planes I had to seriously dull down the inputs on my controls (Honeycomb yoke and TPR rudders) at default settings the plane is way too responsive.

3 Likes

Don’t understand, what exactly do you mean? Never heard about this problem, neither in the sim nor IRL.

It’s called flat spin, look it up.

It’s somewhat strange you haven’t heard of this. At Embry Riddle we spent at least 10 hours learning about recovery techniques and practicing for this type of stall.

1 Like

A graveyard spiral refers to a descending turned induced by vestibular and / or optical illusions. It could theoretically result in a spin, but I certainly wouldn’t call It synonymous.

You are correct, I am confusing the two terms. The one I was more concerned with was flat spins. I can’t enter a flat spin no matter what I do.

Sorry, but that’s nonsense. If you don’t know the difference between a spin, a flat spin and a spiral dive I seriously doubt that you are a pilot IRL.
Btw, it’s Embry-Riddle, not Emory Riddle :wink:

2 Likes

If the CG is within limits it’s impossible with most aircraft to get into a flat spin.

Well auto correct says I can’t spell Embry, sorry. But honesty look up spiral of death and you will see videos of flat spins and lots of forums discussing it. It was the term we used, so you may be some great military expert pilot, but that doesn’t mean you know everything.

You don’t know what the term you are using means nor how to spell the name of the well-known institution you claim to have learned at.

Oh dear!

LOL, the only time I see the non-pilot terms you are using are from wikipedia:

Forget it. You can’t talk yourself out of the armchair-pilot nonsense you are posting.
Have a nice day.

1 Like

Quite apt as this thread also dives into a spiral of death like all the others because the egos get in the way of the useful discussion.

12 Likes

This is an excellent summary of the issues I have faced. Please male sure to submit it to the development team.

1 Like

Yes. I’ve noticed this too. I’m also a real life pilot and the flaps seem to create more drag than they do in real life, to the point where it is almost impossible to maintain your altitude at full throttle if the flaps are deployed. If you are trimmed for the approach at a specific power setting and holding an airspeed, and then deploy a notch of flaps, the plane just sinks at an exaggerated rate which then requires a very large increase in power to remain on the glideslope. I’ve noticed this in the turbo props in particular.

3 Likes

Yep, Take offf and initial climb in the 208B as well. With one notch of flaps deployed I find it hard to accelerate past 70. Raise them and it’s instant full back elevator to keep from smashing into the ground from 200ft. Quite the experience

1 Like

I think that Asobo made this intentionally to compensate the missing prop drag. Try a clean approach and watch what happens during the flare :wink:

Not if you keep the power on, some models will flat spin if the spin recovery procedure is not followed through and power isn’t cut :wink:

That’s why I wrote most and not all. :wink:

1 Like