Realistic Up and Downdraft option

Then we seem to agree that there ought to be a realistic and perhaps less realistic models, but what i was trying to say was that the default ought to be for the realistic model, with an option to select less realism, as this appears to be how the sim treats other assistance options.

In practical terms, as and when Asobo create the realism that we desire, it ought to be inserted into the game as the initial state, with an option, perhaps in the form of a slider, to make it less real and more flyable for those that need it,

@HawkMoth9135 In the alpha they had up and downdrafts limited to 4 or 5 thousand feet per minute (possible in the real world are up to even 10000 if not even more under strong conditions)

Even that 4000 caused problems in terms of understanding whatā€™s going on for ā€œbeginnersā€, thatā€™s why they limited it to 1000 for all.

My suggestion was to make the original version at least optional possible for all the people who can handle the realism.

In addition it would be a nice feature for the glider mods.

Thank you for the reply! It would be interesting to know if the people who couldnā€™t handle or understand the up/downdrafts was the only reason for the 1000 feet per minute limit?

Or are there other aspects which have to be improved, before we can get the unrestricted version?
I donā€™t think people who fly with realistic settings gonna need any hud visualization, like Sebastian mentioned in the interview.

I can only imagine how much fun it will be to fly into a strong updraft or having to counter act a downdraft with a small GA Airplane. It would bring so much life into the flights.

A consideration to (optional) unlock this rather sooner than later would be nice, If there arenā€™t any other reasons for the limit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Assuming (seems reasonable, having listened to the Q&A) that proper up/down drafts are already in the sim; why wait?

As someone suggested: Just make it possible to tune the realism and set it to ā€œweakā€, where it is right now, as default .That way we can decide for ourselves.

In all honesty: A realistic weather engine is what drew me to MSF in the firs place but the weather, apparently, mostly looks good.

Assuming this is mostly a matter of making it optional; why are you guys hesitant to make the weather as realistic as possible?

1 Like

If it is possible, bring it on!

I could also imagine introducing a slider ā€œmax vertical air movementā€ in realism settings going from 0 to 10,000fpm and let everybody select their preferred grade of realism.

1 Like

The thermals are already in the sim,
but only noticeable with very high unrealistic temperature settings.

This suggests there is also a limit or reduction of the effect.

Exactly, if Iā€™m not mistaking Seb said something like 9000 ft/min updrafts on approach would confuse people. 9000 ft/min on approach doesnā€™t sound plausibleā€¦

1 Like

@Nijntje91 He said the following (the complete interview part is in the first post):

One thing we were doing during the alpha is that this was much stronger
I think updrafts were limited to 4 or 5 thousand and some people didnā€™t understand
why on final they were just going upwards and itā€™s because they were on a hill and
the wind was blowing them.

But thatā€™s just the limit, I donā€™t think there were constant 4 to 5 thousand fpm on final and the situation with the hill does make it plausible that you can get strong updrafts.

Iā€™ve read a comment on a real life glider video where somebody mentioned that in Abu Dhabi the glider pilots have to point the nose really downwards because of the strong updrafts/thermals for landings in some situations, because of the high temperatures there.

I still believe we have everything already correctly simulated in the sim but only tuned down very badly.

The only questions remaining:
are there other reasons than ā€˜ā€˜people wouldnā€™t understandā€™ā€™ and ā€˜ā€˜we need visualizations for beginnersā€™ā€™?

I hope that gets asked in the next Q&A.

1 Like

Hello everyone, Iā€™m closing this thread as this not an issue but a will to unlock any sort of limitation on updrafts.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts after the last Q&A! This feedback has been shared to the team!

5 Likes