Really REALLY bad frames all of a sudden

Microsoft Store version

Normal mode with no Changes to Dev Mode

Brief description of the issue:

I have had MSFS since launch and play a mixture of VR and Track IR depending on what i am flying and for how long and i have never had terrible frames. Roughly around 25/30ish which is fine for me on high end settings. I havent flown in some weeks my last flight in the PMDG DC6 on the 25th of October. But since then to monday 15th November the frames have just tanked!! having an older CPU i thought that maybe my PC couldnt run it on High any more and did my normal trick of going to minimum graphics and turning them up slowly but i noticed that the perfromance is just as bad. When i look around in track IR, VR or even using the buttons i get about 3/6 fps and when i put the throttle to go down the runway were then need to start counting frames per minute as to get from one end of the runway to the other its about 8 frames to get airbourne.

I have tsearched high and low on the web and somepeople have had similar issues to me but no solution. Can anyone help please

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: what ever aircraft, what ever location, un modded and modded. Does the same

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:I have a I7 4970k, 2080 (not S) and 16gb Ram (i know bit of a weird combo long story) X56 and saitek pedals, Rift S and Track IR pro

`Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: Now really and before the most recent patch with the air races

Hi Vernibob,

Look at this thread…
Poor performance on the ground - Bugs & Issues / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Many of us have had this issue after the last WU… we tried everything in the book to resolve it. The only thing that worked for many of us was unfortunately reinstalling windows. We have tried to bring this issue to the surface… seems like it is continuing to happen to certain users systems.

Rick

This has happened to me from the last version to SU7. All settings the same, the FPS takes a massive dip only when panning, however. This is far worse when at a detailed airport or densely populated area. So it doesn’t seem to be terrain based. More building/foliage based maybe. It’s also much worse w/ DX12. DX11 is worse than it was with same settings for the last build. If you give it 3-4 seconds after you pan around, then the frames settle. Feels like a stream loading issue w/ terrain object data.

Community folder clean. No add ons.

GTX1070 and i7 67000K.

1 Like

Just to make sure, you have not turned on dx12?

Because the difference between 11 and 12 is over 45 fps for me…

unknown.png (2560×1440) (discordapp.com)

unknown.png (2560×1440) (discordapp.com)

DX12 is worse for sure. But even DX11 took a huge step back. To be clear, this is not peak FPS. If you isolate your view for several seconds, it stabilizes at a high FPS. If you begin to look around (as in loading new data), then the FPS tanks completely before stabilizing again after several seconds.

ah yes. Ive noticed that too.

If im on runway and look straight its stabilizes at 55 something (KDFW for example) When i move around it goes to 20 until left in one position. Then it goes back to the 55 or whatever it was.

Seems it has some trouble to cache/uncache data. Not sure whats happening.

Yep, that’s precisely what I’m getting. It’s very bad at the detailed airports. Not as bad in highly populated areas but no detailed airports. Its almost unnoticeable if in the middle of nowhere.

Jup. These kind of things are really annoying. Anyway, this time there are really a lot of new bugs… I guess we have to swallow these pills as flightsimmers. Seems it will never change ^^

My sim is performing well most areas except a few places like Flytampa KLAS its stuttering on the runway and ramp.It has been performing poor but feel it has gotten worse after this update.

Im no expert but my sim has dropped from 32-34 FPS with settings generally on high at 1440p (on an Omen HP Hexacore laptop running a 1070 Max-Q GPU) to around 12FPS. NVidia driver is currently v471.68. Im also getting the occasional CTD.

Yes I did try DX12 and reverted back toDX11, removed all items in my community folder, shutdown several times but absolutely no impact. Help pls!

I can play around with updating graphics drivers (mine is NVidia 471.68 not the current one (which was by design to max FPS for MSFS prior to the GOTY update), game mode on/off and the full screen optimisations - i.e. all the stuff you see on Youtube) but keen to know if anyone else has experienced the same?!

Thanks everyone

I’m also having performance problems after the update. Usually I play around 30-35 FPS with High-Ultra settings at 2560x1440 with a 1070ti, but after the update I lost as lot of FPS when I’m on ground (15-20 FPS in some situations).

Performance start to increase when I fly over 500-1000ft

Add me to the growing list. Running XBOX version on Series X. Almost never experienced a stutter before this update, one of the strengths of the XBOX version. Since the update: Non-stop stutters, so severe that it frequently even pauses for several seconds at a time, and the stutters are even sometimes disrupting the sound, causing it to crackle and drop out. On top of that, I am seeing a TON of pop-in, both close to the aircraft and in the distance. This was also virtually unnoticeable before the update.

I’m really wondering (hoping) if it’s a server problem. It feels like it’s having tremendous difficulty trying to load scenery, but that’s just a guess. All I know is that if it remains as it is now, I will have to abandon FS2020 until they undo whatever they’ve done. It’s that bad.

2 Likes

Wanted to update on this, that ALL my 3D games are now running 40-50% slower by FPS (e.g. Ghost Recon Wildlands - Now at around 12 from ~30). Wondering if it has something to do with DX12…

OK, a major update to my previous comment. As a last-ditch effort, I tried deleting and rebuilding my rolling cache. Amazingly, that did the trick. Went back and flew in the same area and same weather conditions that had been a stuttering mess before, and they are now perfectly smooth. And I noticed a few new graphical assets I hadn’t noticed before doing this, like the rays around the sun in a clear sky. So now I’m thinking that maybe some of the new graphics assets from the update couldn’t load, or were otherwise impacted by old assets remaining in the cache. Just another guess, but all I know is that it worked. Phew!, minor stroke averted.

Incidentally, while I was at it I also increased the size of my rolling cache from 8GB to 32GB, but I doubt that had anything to do with the improvement. It was likely just the cleaning out of old stuff. Fingers crossed now that it stays this way.

As another update, I’m getting 12 FPS in the menus as well as in the SIM. @NoiseMan tried rebuilding the rolling cache but this didnt work for me (Glad it did for you! :-))

Same problem here, before the update I had 30-50 on air and around 20-30 on ground, after the update I have 10-25 on ground, is amazing how bad optimized this game is.
I run almost everything on ultra, but the funny thing is that even if I put everything on Low end, the fps are the SAME, turned photogrammetry off and the SAME fps.
I believe I have a good machine and this is the only game my computer seems to struggle with.
i9-9900k-3080Ti-32gig ram-game on Nvme. 1440 165Hz monitor.
I’m tempted to re-install windows but if there’s no guarantee will be fixed I’m not sure.

I think it depends what/where you are flying. I was getting great performance with smaller planes, but spawning a CJ4 into Heathrow and i can barely use the mouse to pan around - even on low settings. It’s just super laggy.

Hi all,

Since yesterday update (SU7 ?) I have stutters as well… tried deleting the cache but no luck… performances are still good enough but every 5/10 seconds, I got a nasty stutter…

Any ideas?

I have lower fps too. I’m note fps before updates.
All is Dx11

Before update:
KVNY
PIPER TURBO ARR IV
FPS:55
LOW:13
REN:30
PROC:40
GRAF:99
TEMP:65
WENT:2100
W:101
Volt:0,9

After update:

Same here.
Notice a drop in performance.
Especially when turning the camera/view. Stutters like hell.

Game seems to consume way more GPU memory now.
Reduced texture quality from Ultra to High to get the performance back.
I not sure whether it is as smooth than before. But it works for me.