Recent Update Stutters - Where In The World Is It Happening To You?

I would have thought that too…but with every day going by without a further update makes me wonder…at best I believe we are looking at waiting until the next release cycle (which frankly is insulting given the impact of this issue)…but at least there should be updated communication…We know what the issue is, we dont know (which would be crazy)…We dont care…ETC

1 Like

My flight a320nx from LGSR TO EGKK FPS 30 TO 50 on apprach to egkk 26 L FPS down to 4 unplayable it was a slideshow GPU went down to zero all temperatures were ok cpu and GPU.

you are right. Time for MS to give us an update on all of this even IF they say they are aware, although in fairness they already have done that so an update on all of this would be helpful.
I am beginning to think that it has less to do with the actual scenery code and has more to do with
a Server issue. something about how they deliver this scenery has changed. So I wonder if the MSFS team are infact waiting on others in MS to get to grips with random server issues.
76T is a red herring. The problem there is so exceptional I believe it has a major additional problem and I dont think it is a good testing ground.
KLAL is I think.

I don’t think it’s a function of where you are, rather, it is a function of how CPU/GPU load is managed and balanced. For example, I have an i9 OC 5.3Ghz, 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, an RTX 3090, and 2 TB SSDs with medium to high settings terrain LOD 100 (so not pegged at all). I launched from Portland (KPDX) and flew to KUIL which is a remote strip in NW Washington state about 150 miles west of Seattle. Super smooth during takeoff/climb/level off at 18000ft, then about 20 minutes into flight, slideshow, it lasted for about 1:30 minutes then went back to smooth. Again, during decent, got slideshow for about 30 seconds then back to smooth. It’s like running a 100yd dash, then 50 yds into it, a 400lb gorilla jumps on your back, then jumps off 20 yards later. It’s not stuttering, it is a CPU/GPU throttling issue, that eventually recalibrates/reallocates itself. So, yeah, a big problem that showed up (for me) after SU3.

1 Like

This am for KHOU to KBOI was terrible for most of Texas - I had one stretch where the 2-3 FPS last a good 5 mins. Once I got to about Colorado its smoothed out to its generally not so good most of the rest of the way…then on final in Boise again right around the runway awful until just a little before the threshold. I hadnt done much flying in the US lately and it appears to be worse there then anywhere else I have seen

I have finally got my brand new RTX 3080 but I’m so disappointed. Tried Ultra first but turned it down to High but only gets around 23 fps flying around with the CRJ. It is amazingly slow, I had better performance in my old GTX980 TI with lower settings. The built in fps tool says I’m limited by main thread. The task manager in Windows says my GPU is working less than 5% and my CPU around 30-40%. What is wrong?

in task manager select the graphics_1 thread. this should be near max capacity

I too experience quite some stutters and lagspikes. past week it was bearable with only a few on rare occasions but today is quite bad

RTX2060@80%Graphics_1, 16%3D, 5.0/6.0 gpu memory
i7-9700K @44%
36gb ram @16gb

I usually have between 30 and 40 (mostly near 40) fps in flight.
near the ground ~30 (depending on scenery 20-25)
stutterst drop to 12 or 2-5 fps at times even less
ATM noticed it over the south of the uk and over denmark/ most northern parts of Germany (which is where i fly today, usually I was over central europe with no issues, that doesn’t mean / imply, though, that central europe is ‘clean’)

The more I read the various performance threads on here, the more convinced I am it’s a server problem. Maybe the way the game interacts with the server, an interpretation problem or something similar. In no way am I a techie, but I sometimes (often?) feel that people are over-thinking the problem and need to get back to the grass roots, the nuts and bolts of the programming.

It doesn’t matter how high-end or lowly your kit, if it’s not communicating properly you’re going to get problems.

1 Like

Its starting prime time, started the game (hmm only 24) okay launch, buzz the tower on the way out, minor stutter no biggie turning direction, 5 min later I watch as my FPS goes from 23 to 15 (still playable), to 10 to 1.

Hmmmm I quit the game uninstall the drivers/software for my new X56, rebooted started over, okay seems better now Im running at 28 fps, well I didnt need that driver anyways windows see it for what it is 5 min in 20,15,3…quit the game…

Uninstall the icue software, reboot, launch a flight 34 …5 min later 2-12 FPS … ■■■■■■ I toss the computer joystick and my wifes ashes out the window…the whole time screaming ASOBO you Bastards! So the way I see it they owe me a X56, new computer and new wife (pssst not a blonde anything but a blonde)! ha ha /disclaimer the last paragraph is humor…

That demonstrates my thoughts. After a normal start, the game deteriorates until it forces you to restart. Everything back to normal then it happens again - and probably again and again and again…

Common denominator - downloading data from the server. A comunication problem, and not necessarily speed, is gradually affecting the progress of the sim - and it may be, of course, the higher spec of hardware the faster it will happen.

Any other thoughts anyone? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? :smiley:

So far the only place I’ve flown that still has stutters / freezing is approach into LAX 10-30 NM from the airport.

Everywhere else that stuttered before the hotfix is better for me now since the hotfix. LA is still bad enough I can’t fly there at all. It’s also better than before the hotfix, but nowhere near good enough.

I dont think its so much of a bandwidth issue as it is pure server over saturation…hence the ms is building another Azure cluster. So until they can get more hamsters to power the new machine. The article I read said it would be 2 months before the new data center is done, and the was a couple of weeks ago. So if that is indeed the problem we have 6 or so more weeks of the fun and BS.

I’m not saying that it’s an issue connected to the machine. giving specs just to have the data since without it one may have a hard time determining whether it is hardware connected or not.
I think it could be connected to ai / MP traffic (I’m usually on vatsim and in named regions there’s been significant traffic) but it may also be a scenery issue. Whether it is streamed or local scenery i don’t know but I doubt it’s the streaming of the data but rather the data itself.

Do you have a link to that article? :grin:

Encountered some bad stuttering here tonight and just decided to end the flight
10700kf
32gb
2060super
All running stock atm
It was a slideshow departing Fly tampa KLAS the latest FBW A3NX.cpu 20ish% gpu 80%

Just flew over the mountains in Manipur, India. I eventually reached 2 fps and it stayed this way for 30min until I decided to alt+f4 and F*** this.

Overall things have been much better for me since the patch…However today I flew into Augusta Georgia and the landing was a stutter fest (Even after taking off from JFK which was pretty good). I still notice that the USA in particular is still not great in areas. I am thinking that its still a certain amount of trees myself…but thats just a guess on my part.

Happening really badly in vicinity of KLGB.

I can report I never see long stutters (freeze) or irregular stuttering. I fly cache off, 50MB internet connection. I have low end hardware i7 10th/16GB/MX330/SSD laptop and I’m used to 18-22Fps. Sometimes I experience periodic stutters, it seems to halt, skip a few frames and then proceed about 1x per second. Between that scenery moves smooth. Very annoying. But I won’t throw my laptop out of the window (rather replace it some time in the near future…)

btw look at the dates of this topic about stuttering… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: this complaint around stuttering is revived whenever small updates occur… and supposedly server side things change, it seems communication can go wrong as a result of server side changes made by Asobo ? What happens when your cache content does not comply to the new (changed) format that the server is using ?

The only one who is talking cache here is

… which is a good plan imho, when server communication things change… or protocol is updated… maybe there is error handling and your cache gets much more to swallow during flight, crossing boundary coordinates, ILS/VOR peeping all kinds of events back and forth to your instruments etc…

I wonder what would happen to your MSFS experience if you would switch cache completely off during server side changes, or crises like they occurred this week ? It doesn’t help for FPS, you’ll loose a lot of frames… but maybe it helps against the stutters.