Recent Update Stutters - Where In The World Is It Happening To You?

Take off from KFHR (Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington, USA) in TBM 930 on 150° M heading - climbing at 1500 fpm over open water with very little land within 10-miles I see 14 - 16 fps for up to a minute elapsed, then suddenly jumps up to the 30 - 32 fps I normally experience.

During the entire time I see low fps - the sim alternates waiting on GPU, Main Thread, and Manipulators, which is very unusual because until this last update - the sim ALWAYS waited on the GPU.

No mods of any kind loaded - NOTHING else is running on system (I use Task Manager to kill everything not essential to the sim). I fly only GA, mainly the 172, G36, and TBM 930 at levels below 10,000’ along the US West Coast. Until the most recent update I experience almost no stutters and very consistent and stable performance at 27 - 32 fps everywhere. I have always been very pleased with the performance. After the update- I experience these low fps episodes very occasionally but they are quite dramatic when they happen.

i3-9100F, GTX 1650, 16 GB memory, 500 mbs internet connection

Prior to update the sim ran at 27 - 32 fps everywhere including landing at KSEA or KSAN or flying over LA with all the scenery enabled. Now, I see these 14 - 18 fps spells in many locations

Just tried this same area and had stutters as well LIQS - 1 -2 miles Runway 36 straight out

2 Likes

Really bad between Santa Paula and Santa Clarita north of L.A for me earlier and lasted about a minute, fps dropped into mid to high teens. LA area itself was absolutely fine though.

Costa Rica over Quepos, Pittsburgh, NYC, then I just stopped using the sim. LA seemed to be fine interestingly.

1 Like

Easy answer: everywhere and anywhere.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I have been meandering on a World Tour the last 2 months and am now in China - the entire flight from Kyrgyzstan through to Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia) was beautiful and smooth.

Last 2 days Beijing down to Wujan also pretty much stutter free - a tiny bit over the Forbidden City POI but nothing major like I have been seeing on other flights.
Will see what comes now that I am making my way toward Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibet.

1 Like

I saw all the 76T posts and had to give it a shot. I am going to say… 15 FPM.
For those reading carefully, that’s NOT a typo.
I had to CTRL/ALT/DEL to get out.

1 Like

Last night in rural central Ohio I was getting random drops to 12 fps. Normally running a steady 30.

2 days ago, finally ran into the lower fps issue that everyone had been complaining about after the recent update when i finally crossed into north america (i was in the brazil area when the patch dropped). really inconsistent and sometimes really bad fps in areas that have been generally fine previously. last night, fps in similar north america areas was much better, but inconsistent. and now tonight, i had my first CTD in awhile where everything froze, both video and audio, for a few seconds, stuttered, and then CTD.

personally, i think most of the inconsistent issues can likely be attributed with the cloud portion of this game. the last 3 days where i’m running into issues also happen to be days where Microsoft cloud services are experiencing issues. and the last 2 days, i noticed other players also dropping and reappearing which indicates an issue on the MP side of this game.

1 Like

This. I believe it is all caused by cloud performance and streaming. Not related to internet speeds but more to server issues.

Edit: What led me to think that is the fact that the only time I had massive stutters was when I was playing online with my brother who is in a different country and we both had stutters but not at the same time… I would have massive stutters for 30 seconds and few minutes later he would experience them. Perhaps the issue happens when some specific areas are being streamed to many users at the same time (you never know how many people fly the same area because they may have online play off but they still have to stream the ground textures).

2 Likes

I fly 100% in the US and haven’t had a single stutter.

Try 76T airport - I dont know of anyone who has tried that airport that doesnt see the issue…

3 Likes

Yup for some reason Rio de Jainero area runs butter smooth for me in VR every time.

Its just as densely populated with objects and has to render 2 airports in close proximity but runs really well.

Meanwhile aiports like Charles de Gualle located away from the main concentration of Paris’s cityscape will absolutely tank performance to where I can barely get off the ground without stutter.

Testing the Spitfire update, did a quick haul from Melbourne (FL) to Vero Bch. Half the flight no problemos
Get a few mi outside of Vero Bch and ive never experienced anything like it. Not low fps, just straight stutter. I dont have to tell you its difficult af landing in those conditions
It is a photogram/urban area - but pales in comparison to others… i tend to steer clear of metro areas

1 Like

Have the devs responded to this yet?

I have just tried it using different servers, planes, weather settings, etc. The worst stutters I have ever experienced since commodore 64 in the 1990s… no matter the settings. I got maybe 3fps on my 5800x and RTX3080 with 32Gb RAM. It was so stuttery I could not exit the game, had to click exit multiple times. So indeed, stutters are related to areas. I suspect the way they are streamed? No idea.

For anyone who says there are no stutters… try that airport 76T.

1 Like

Try 76T and let us know if it works fine for you

i tried it , 2 fps omg what a shame :frowning:

2 Likes

Here’s one in Wasilla, AK (near PAWS) that I went back and forth to map exactly where the manipulators thread goes haywire and up to 100ms then fights with main thread to massively slow down.

A very distinct pattern emerged when I placed markers. Crossing the line from the North or South caused the slow down. But you can fly right down the corridor in between without any impact. As soon as I experienced a hit I would slew out and try another spot. 8-10 FPS on all those markers, 45-50 FPS everywhere else.

This is with terrain LOD at 40 and building LOD at 10. No settings other than LOD make a difference. Most of the flight was with Bing data off.

2 Likes

loading it now and will let you know what I have.