Recommended procedure for Steam + Quest 2 + Link?

Hi all,

After trying following a number of guides here, I’m still somewhat at a loss. Most of the time, the game doesn’t work at all, and when it does, the screen is flashing and it’ll crash if I try leaving the current flight.

So my question is: what IS the recommended procedure for playing with the combination of Steam (I own the game on Steam), Quest 2, and Oculus Link? In particular:

1. Do I launch Flight Simulator directly from Steam on Desktop, or do I launch Steam VR on the headset, then launch FS from that?
  2. Do I use SteamVR OpenXR runtimes, Oculus OpenXR runtimes, or Microsoft OpenXR runtimes?
  3. Do I use Oculus beta or stick to v26?
  4. Do I connect the cable on the motherboard or video card?
  5. Do I use OculusTrayTool? (Reprojection is awful without it)

I’ve tried a lot of permutations of the above without much success, but I was hoping to hear what people are using so I can at least focus on that configuration.

My specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
GPU: RTX 2080 Super
RAM: 64 GB
Motherboard: Asus Zenith II Extreme Alpha (latest BIOS)
Link cable: Official Oculus Link cable, connected to GPU atm
Driver: 461.92 (Downgrading is tricky for me because it makes Visual Studio misbehave)

For the record, other games work flawlessly over Oculus Link. I can play Half-Life Alyx without dropping frames (depending on the situation anyway) or ever encountering any technical issues.

I’ve also tried Virtual Desktop, but Flight Simulator straight up refused to go in VR mode through that, not entirely sure if I was doing anything wrong there. The actual Virtual Desktop experience was pretty smooth, so that was also annoying. :frowning:

Right now, when I’m in Oculus Link (even if Flight Simulator is still in 2D mode), as soon as Flight Simulator gets focus, Oculus Link goes super slow and wobbly (like 1-2 FPS). It immediately goes back to normal if I tab away from FS.

I know that a lot of people are asking for help, but any pointers would be appreciated!

1. Don’t use SteamVR. You can start FS from Steam it doesn’t matter.
  2. Oculus runtime
  3. Beta V27
  4. On the motherboard
  5. No need but if you want to tweak a bit you can

Hi. I was able to fly circuits with stream vr and virtual desktop… just launched msfs from steam vr desktop (not steam library or the Games tab of Virtual Desktop, though I think you can do this) and pressed ctrl+tab to enter VR once in the cockpit. The Issue I had (separate post) is that the glass cockpit was unreadable (I only have gtx 1650 graphics card so can’t use Oculus Link).

Here’s an example of the kind of very strange behaviour I’m experiencing:

For this, I first connect Oculus Link and leave it idling on home, then I run Flight Simulator (with the settings recommended above).

The above video is from the lens of the headset when Flight Simulator is on the main menu - BUT STILL IN 2D MODE. The FPS jumps massively up and down based exclusively on whether the FS Window is FOCUSED or not (when the FPS is low, Oculus Link Home barely works, it feels like it’s at around 1 FPS)! I don’t even understand what’s going on here anymore. :frowning:

The whole time, the MSFS Window on my PC has good FPS (it caps itself at 72 when the headset is “active”, otherwise it’s over 100), but if I switch to actual VR mode, then the perf on Windows matches the extremely low headset perf.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.