Reflections look grainy, even if reflections are on ultra

great, thank you, i was thinking it was worse with more curved windscreens ( ie VL-3 bad - 172 - good ) and that would make sense base don your comments.

1 Like

I could see an improvement, when selecting a higher value! In low, or middle itĀ“s still looking really aweful due to this ā€œgrainyā€, but itĀ“s getting better with a ā€œhighā€ setting.
(Tested with the latest version - End of Nov. Update)

Does turning windshield effects down to high change anything else? I donā€™t want to lose rain drops, for exampleā€¦

As far as I can tell, youā€™ll only really lose the reflections of the cockpit/interior on the inside of the windshield when switching Windshield Effects down to High from Ultra. I believe rain effects stay much the same.

All of a sudden I noticed after todayā€™s update ā€œDec3ā€ all reflective surfaces look terrible, they are grainy. The cowlings, wings, water and all other surfaces which reflect light. Is anyone else seeing this? It takes so much away from the experience that it is almost unplayable.

Experiencing the same issue, have not noticed it before.

1 Like

This has been an issue since the sim was released. It is a result of the way reflections are generated.
The Dec 03 update had NOTHING to do with your graphics. This was the monthly AIRAC cycle update that keeps your navigation database current.
Do not be fooled by the Update Notes that were on your screen. Asobo just got lazy and did not change the notes file from the last major update.

3 Likes

Hard to think that this VERY obvious visual defect is something which has only been noticed. I only fly the bonanza with track IR situated high in the cockpit so the front cowl is always visible. It usually shows a smooth reflection of light and all of a sudden today it looks like it has a grainy film over everything with hardly believable reflections. Using rtx2080 all graphics settings have been static since day 1.

1 Like

Something else has changed. This was one of the first complaints after release. Use the search tool. You will find it.

Noticed this today too. I recently changed my main monitor from DP to HDMI and thought that might have had something to do with it. But I guess Iā€™m not alone.

Jim-Sim

I am not seeing this. Whatā€™s your config like? (GPU, drivers, graphics settingsā€¦)

Iā€™ve been having this since day one. Most modern games seem to have that nowadays. It has to do with post processing, specifically post processing anti-aliasing. I miss the old MSAA days : /

1 Like

Thank your lucky stars that your graphics didnā€™t do this to you ā€¦ but yes, noticing grain for a while now.

i7 8700K 3.7GHZ
64GB Ram
RTX 2080 with latest Nvidia driver update
2560X1440 Display

Global Rendering Quality is set to Medium

Doing a fresh install of the simulator from scratch. Just in case the new update clashes with data from an older one. Will let you know if this Hail Mary works.

I9 10900k
Rtx2080
64gb DDR4

1 Like

You can push it to Ultra with the 2080. And if 40-50 fps are not enough for you, compromise with the LOD settings. No wonder it looks bad at Mediumā€¦

I experienced the same thing this morning after the update. I found if I set some setting back to HIGH from ULTRA or vice versa that it got better.

From Ultra to High:
Windshield Effects - This had the most effect

From High to Ultra:
Shadow Maps
Contact Shadows

Shadow Maps:
up to 1536

i7 7700k - 32GB RAM
GTX 1080Ti - I game in @ 4k 60fps
Core Game Runs from M.2 drive - Game Data Drive SSD Sata6Gb

Thanks @Havenwrath for the update. Iā€™ve been playing with settings recently trying to optimize my experience. I first noticed the same graininess recently. Wasnā€™t sure if it was an update or something I changed. Your post gives me some more specific things to try to improve it.

Overall very impressed with the sim!!

2 Likes

The easiest way to ā€œminimizeā€ the grains is to modify your ā€œUserCfg.optā€ file [MS Store version is under Microsoft.FlightSim_lettera/numbeers>LocalCache]. Open it, scroll ALL the way down to the bottom; section. Find [Sharpen 1] and change the 1 (one) to a 0 (zero). Save.

The grains are still there, just not so pronounced.

I have completed a total re-install and the sim is now considerably smoother, but the weird grain effect is still present under certain lighting conditions. I have also overcome a serious graphics glitch where all trees were mutli-coloured. Hereā€™s an example image of the grain.