Regression: Departure / arrival autofocus text input in world map no longer working

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
PC

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Currently, when you want to look up a departure airport you have to click the dropdown, which then opens, and subsequently you have to click the textbox so you can enter the name of the airport. This unnecessary second click should be removed by automatically setting focus to the search box whenever the dropdown is opened. It used to work this way and it no longer does.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Moderator added:

1. Start Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  2. Go to the World Map.
  3. Click on either SELECT DEPARTURE AIRPORT or SELECT ARRIVAL AIRPORT.
  4. Do not click anything. Start typing.

Expected result: In previous versions, you would have been able to type in an airport code immediately.
Observed result: Now, typing does nothing. You would have to click into the text box first.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

Moderator added: A merged bug report used Zendesk ticket #127031

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
PC
Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store version
Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
no
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no
Brief description of the issue:
Starting the sim and clicking on the departure airport or arrival airport selection box does not automatically show a cursor and sets focus on the search. Where we used to be able to click once on “Select Departure Airport” and start typing, we now have to click on “Select Departure Airport” and then click again on the search bar to begin typing.
Small quality of life, but makes a big difference on usability and responsiveness.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Load sim, go to World Map and directly select “Select Departure Airport” or “Select Arrival Airport”
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
I think it started after Sim Update 5, but issue is still present on 1.19.9.0
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store Version
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Request #127031

Click “search” instead “select departure”.

2 Likes

Thanks! never though of using this search bar on the left. Always thought of it as a way to search wildlife and POIs, never occurred to look up airports. Good alternative/workaround

You must have an ultrawide monitor to have such a large search bar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Nah.
Pro tip > go to options > general options > accessibility
decrease minimum text size and interface scale > apply and save :wink:

1 Like

Huh… I never really use that search bar myself… When I want to look for a departure airport or arrival airport. I just drag and drop the globe and zoom in on the place I want geographically and click the departure gate I want…

And I do the same for the arrival, I zoom out, drag the globe again and zoom in on the destination and set a gate as arrival gate.

“Search” is faster.
Don’t waste your time, mate :smiley:

The problem with search is that sometimes it can’t find the airport unless I put the right keyword. Sometimes the database is using the airport name, sometimes it uses the city, these inconsistencies made keep having to guess what the right keyword is, and most often than not, the first thing I typed returned no results.

The most consistent thing I can find is if I use the ICAO code. But I don’t remember all ICAO codes, so that’s also difficult for me to use.

Typing the city that I’m unfamiliar with also resulted in me having a flight that’s either too long or too short.

At least by dragging the world map I can just pick a place I fancy, and looking at the map, I can determine which city I should go to for the flight duration I want. eg. If I want to fly for 1 hour, then it’s around “this” radius. If I want 2 hours, it’s about “that” radius, and see what airports within that radius that I fancy.

This regression keeps being annoying :confused:

1 Like

Marked as Won’t Fix.