Reinstall required - but root cause unknown

Hi everyone,

I recently updated to SU5 along with the subsequent patches and all seemed to be working relatively well. But for some unknown reason (i did not change anything on my pc), i was unable to access the sim on Friday and could only see that reinstallation was required.

I have the ms store version, and had to go through the cycle of downloading 128 GB again plus all the inconveniences which come along. Everything worked fine after the reinstallation, but it was 2 days of download.

I wonder how many people faced issues like this, where the Sim needs to be reinstalled. In my case, there was no option to repair or fix the problem !

Not many people have 128 GB data quotas on hand, and let alone having slower connections.

Thanks to let me know your thoughts.

I just experienced this on my pc. It appears it uninstalled the game, prior to allowing me to download the 1.1gig file which then allows the huge 123gig update.
I also have this installed on my Xbox X and it seems fine there. In fact, starting it on my PC syncs to the Xbox X data, and this was prior to downloading the huge update.

I have a 1 gig download and upload speed but MS seems to throttle this to about 200Mbps average or less, and installs stuff along the way, so reinstalling on the PC is going to take a few hours.

I like playing on Xbox X for the 4K resolution and PC for overall smoothness of the controls at 1080. I’ve lost navigation POI on the Xbox bush trips after leg 1 of several bush trips, but not on the PC, for the bush trips. So I am usually swapping depending on what I want to do.

One thing I did was change the drive it was on from a basic disk to a dynamic disk because I wanted to add more unallocated space to that partition of the drive. Maybe this is what caused the error on my PC. It’s the only notable change I can think of, and I’ll check event logs later on to see if I can come up with anything else of note.

I hope you were able to get reinstalled and back in the air successfully!

Thanks Zatooti,

indeed, now that i recall, i installed the xbox software on my pc as i got myself the gamepass. Since I already owned the msfs 2020 from the microsoft store, something went out of sync and required re-installation.

Everything is working fine now. But it was really painful to download everything just because there was a glitch somewhere.

I still wonder how people with slow/ limited internet manage. ! :thinking:

1 Like

I asssume , because we have year 2021 , it’s more like “not many people have a data limit”.

About the problem that MS-Store users sometime have to re-install the whole game, exist some topics with and without possible reasons. One assumption you mentioned already, that it have somewhat to do if users have/switch to gamepass.

1 Like