[RELEASED] Gee Bee R3 Special - Got Friends

Soon ™️…

As I mentioned on the Got Gravel Discord and will copy here:

“We are Verrrrrrrrrry close. No more are the updates saying “Months, Weeks, or dar I say… Days!” Verifying some final info with Flightsim.to and she will be online in no time. At this moment, we are ready to upload for release! Waiting on our partner, but as mentioned… very soon! Lots of planning going into flightsim.to and their launch of their new payware platform, so I can’t talk on their absolute timeline. Keep your eyes peeled!”

Sorry for the tortured release! Haha we made a promise to the community to exclusively go with flightsim.to and the in-game marketplace. Nothing better than supporting the hard work flightsim.to has put into their site! Love their website and even though we are on hold for a little while longer, we are so ecstatic and honored to be part of their new launch!

2 Likes

Is there a way to upload our own photos into that spot? Pets, significant others, idols?

It looks REALLY nice… The only thing that makes me think about whether to buy this or not is… this aircraft never existed. :frowning: Whereas with Scrappy and Turbulence I can say the Grravel and Vertigo pay homage to those existing aircraft, this one seems a little… on the fantasy side? Can anyone enlighten me? :wink:

Yes, the only Sub-Model with that Decal is “The Rocketeer” livery as it was designed for. But you’ll be able to edit the “Rocket.DDS” image with your own, update the .json using LayoutGenerator.exe and you can have your own photo in the cockpit.

If you need help with this step, there are plenty of youtube tutorials out there.

If you wish to do it with the default model, you can model match from the Rocketeer’s Interior model files as they are identical aside from the picture inside.

The last one takes a little more work but is possible with some research!

1 Like

I see that side, trust me I do. We went back and forth on this aircraft and the R2. But ultimately we decided to go for this one and we took the care and time to ensure it’s as realistic as it can be to a true upscaled version. This aircraft fit our modern aerobatic vision perfectly.

I know you’re debating whether or not to include her in your payware list. I’ll send you short PM.

2 Likes

HOLY SCHNIKIES!!! (However you spell it…) I also feel like I need to do a Chris Farley David Letterman entrance here…

Jonx was kind enough to invite me for a final beta test of the aircraft and every single reservation of mine has been safely put into a dustbin where it belongs. I will say this outright: THIS is the best racer in the sim… Remember that Papercraft RaceX that no one bought except for this guy here? Yeah, me neither. That didn’t happen.

But THIS did. This is the most fun I have had in a long time in MSFS. You get amazing aerobatics, a great feel, performance out the Great Wazoo (thanks, Frank!)… Whatever you want, this thing provides.

GRAPHICS: Absolutely gorgeous. On A1R Ryan level, and I think that one has been done well. Measures up to Carenado. Great smoke effects in all sorts of colour and combination of colours.

SOUND: That’s probably the least impressive bit about it, but it does the job.

FLYING: I don’t have any numbers or a manual. I don’t know the performance profiles of this, but it feels great! I had a few bouncy landings even at near-stall speeds, but… it’s not really a tricycle, so it may just take a bit more finesse and better planning. Takeoff and ground handling are smooth. I wasn’t able to get the G-Force indicator to light up though, makes me wonder if I was flying too safe. NOS Boost - on prop level of 65% or so, when enabled it just kind of peaks at 25 and jumps up and down a bit… but these things can be sorted out. Not really sure what I am supposed to be getting as far as reading on the RPM gauge with NOS enabled, but the gauge goes higher than I was ever able to take it to. Maybe worth looking at? Or maybe I just don’t know what I am doing, because like I said… I haven’t seen a manual. This comes with GNS430 AND a native GTN750 bezel as well! No autopilot… Who would ever want to fly this on autopilot? Stand up! OK. Sit down. Go back to your Airbus.

OVERALL: This is not even a question. This is worth it. You thought the Grravel and Turbulence were fun? They are! …But this one goes up to … 11 (Insert confused look here…thanks, Spinal Tap)

This is amazing and I will definitely be purchasing this and including this on the list. Let’s put it this way - it may not have existed in real life, but the concept was developed. And there WAS a R1 and R2. This one won’t take too much effort to suspend your disbelief, cause you will be too busy having a blast in it.

You all know I don’t make any money with my reviews and I don’t care about the developers’ feelings if their product is rubbish. Yeah, I got this for free, but it’s a pre-release and if I didn’t have anything nice to say about it, I would have said simply “thanks, but… not my bag”… Taking this for a few flights just now was all the convincing I needed. Again, many thanks to the team for this great work! I can’t wait to see what you do next. Here are some pics for you.

11 Likes

What a review! Honored to let you take it for a spin! Back to fixing those small things… great feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for an awesome review!! Super good to hear this from you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries, guys! I am grateful for the test-flight! It’s a pleasure! I am really happy with this. Purchasing for sure!

5 Likes

I would’ve also preferred one of the real life Gee Bees. There were a number of freeware Granville Brothers planes developed for FS9 and/or FSX that I had fun with back in the day and I just absolutely love 1920s and 30s aviation but this one does look pretty good and not too implausible. And at the price point mentioned earlier in the thread it looks like a no brainer to buy. Plus you can’t go wrong with a glowing endorsement by Dr Jeremy of Boston. A smart move to give him an early access look :wink:

2 Likes

That move simply put my mind at ease. I would never write something that I didn’t genuinely feel about a product, though… so my “endorsement” is neither here or there - I am honestly just really impressed with how fun this is! It looks great, flies great, what’s not to love? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The BostonJeremy seal of approval is highly respected by me and I suspect many others!

8 Likes

I honestly cannot wait to fly this aircraft. I’ll be getting this day one. Wow! Fantastic work thus far. So good to see so many talented creators / designers / developers out there… This is one of the biggest draws to this platform and is one of the reasons that make it so wonderful.

2 Likes

Alright everyone! I know you’re not just tuning in, you’re thinking 8-31-2021? Yeah, you read that correctly. That is the hard release date! Last night I was in contact for the final time with Flightsim.to and they are working overtime to ensure their new payware launch is ready to come online. I’ve been hinting at a release this week, but we will have to hold until Tuesday the 31st. At least we have set a hard release date and you’ll be able to fly this aircraft in under a week.

That’s not all the news I bring today! Last night was a milestone in Effects development. Alex from Touching Cloud helped me incorporate a new Smoke System. With this system implemented, each player will be able to control their smoke and color directly from their cockpit with FULL MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT. Which means you’ll be able to color the skies together with precision. When your friend deploys green smoke, you will see it deploy on your screen in real-time as well. This has created a possibility for multi-color airshows! It’s a true multiplayer feature now and I can’t wait for you all to get your hands on it. Smoke trails have also been optimized to look less blocky and restrictive. With this new system implemented, we were limited to 5 colors of smoke. We will be removing Black Smoke from the inventory.

Also, we were able to give Smoke and NOS Boost the ability to be triggered in game with Hotkeys, more information will be provided in the manual in a later date, but now you’ll be able to flip into overdrive on the fly during any competitive race without the need for any 3rd party applications!

We have some extra time now to bring you all additional features on the Gee Bee R3 to ensure your purchase is 100% worth it!

Thank you for all the support and understanding! We will see you all in 7 days painting those skies!

• Got Friends (Jonx, Got Gravel, 270Inc)
10 Likes

Super excited to see this! Gotta buy it just as a thanks for all the great freeware the team has done. Plus, it looks like a great plane!

Curious, is Mirco Pecorari aware of this? I was happy to see him credited in the manual, after all the drama around the initial release of the flying model GeeBee R3s in the early 2000s. (Short summary: A German RC designer claimed it was his design and sold it to an RC producer without crediting Mirco and a lot of drama and disappointing behavior ensued on RCGroups as a result.)

I have to think Mirco would be pretty psyched to try this out.

We’ve tried to get in touch with him via a few ways including social media. No response, hopefully he’s seen it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, even after all the screenshots and video clips, it’s only when I look at your #3 side view that I’m realizing how big this thing is! Does it come with a ladder?? LOL

Instant buy!

1 Like

Most of the IRL Gee Bee planes were rather chunky. Have a look at the R1:

absolute unit!

1 Like

Just a flying engine!

…with a fuel tank