RELEASE: MilViz Corsair for MSFS

I just logged into the Corsair support forum and it’s fine

MSFS2020 FG-1D Support Forum

You’re looking at the wrong thing.

We just watched this clip from Devotion,…Enjoy !

2 Likes

Don’t hold your breath. They have been saying an update is on the way for a year now. Initially, they said they wanted to wait until after a sim update to avoid having to release another fix due to broken functionality. I guess by that logic we’ll be waiting for quite a while. That was two or three sim updates ago.

I think at least one update per year with hotfixes to cover any glaring problems with functionality due to sim updates is more than reasonable given the price of the addon. Furthermore, the Corsair deserves it. For a while, it was the best addon in the sim (IMO). Now it feels analogous to a classic car rotting away in a garage while the rest of the world moves on, yet only a few simple repairs away from ruling the road again.

1 Like

If you actually look at the movie clips from Devotion, you will see that the plane almost never does a nose up on level flight. This is because of the way the plane is built… it’s built for one thing and one thing only…

Shooting at the enemy. Which you CANNOT do if the aircraft is nose up all the time.

We will not be fixing this as it’s not broken.

The update is being worked on as we speak.

1 Like

Look forward to the updates, I know you’ve all been really busy with the recent projects and other up and coming projects. Appreciate you all finding time to squeeze in the Corsair :+1:

1 Like

I’m very confused by this?
By Nose Up…do you mean nose level?

I’m not truly familiar with the issue, but from what I understand, people are concerned because the plane is in nose down (about 5 degrees it looks like?) when trimmed for level flight.

I thought in fact that this was correct, but when I looked for videos of Corsairs in flight, in level flight they were level. I didn’t delve deeper into it, because I thought the issue was recognized and was going to be fixed.

It sounds like what you are saying is that it’s ok with the team that the orientation of the plane when trimmed for level flight is ok with them that it’s not level, and that this is by design or not worth fixing?

it’s about 2 degrees nose down as it should be IRL.

This accounts for the gunsight and bullet drop.

And no, we will not “fix” something that’s not broken. Pilots that fly the corsair today trim it such that it’s nose level but that’s not how the actual plane, in WW2, would have flown.

If someone wants to fly it nose level, they may feel free to mod the config files that it does so.

2 Likes

I assume this is what you meant, and if so, this is the answer and acceptable to me. It’s as IRL.

Sir you are incorrect. Please look at any pictures and film footage of corsairs in flight. Non of them fly nose down like your version of the aircraft. If you want to use this as an excuse not correct your mistake that’s on you. I will be sending an email request to be reimbursed for this add on. This seems like a cop-out and really just a sad response. I have purchased all of your MSFS2020 add ons but this is not good customer service. Please provide proof that the corsairs flew like this. It must be in some technical manual somewhere if in fact it’s true. Good day.

For a WW2 aircraft, flying in combat, yes.

What you’re looking at is videos of the aircraft in a non combat trim state. What we’re modelling here is the aircraft in a combat ready state.

We will not fix what isn’t broken.

1 Like

Could it be possible to include a „non combat trim style“ in the clipboard, please ? Or can you be so kind to share the adjustements for the .cfg files ? :pray:t2::wink:

1 Like

I am also very confused by this explanation. I hope that we, as consumers, are offered something a bit more technical than “if you watch the movie”.

2 Likes

Also other developers model their warbirds (Flying Iron) to fly in all conditions… Slow speed, high speed, flaps down with gear. Not one has ever said they model the aircraft for combat flying only. There is no combat flying in Fs2020, so why model it this way at all?

Seriously, is it just to much work to fix it? Maybe not profitable as continuing other development.

1 Like

I think the explanation is that, we don’t know what we’re looking at when we review videos. We don’t have any experienced Corsair pilots among us. So we don’t know what the trim set up is for the various configurations we’re discussing.

What Colin is stating is that, the team designed the trim to work from the drawings and maintenance manuals of the plane. It is flying as designed by Vought in their estimation. When we see planes trimmed level, they may not be trimmed for least amount of drag per se, or maybe Colin’s “Combat” trim set up is what is neutral, or the neutral setup as delivered, and modern birds have the angle of their tailplanes changed to keep them level, or who knows what.

It would take a Corsair pilot who’s familiar with the setup of the planes and their trim state and the possibilities to really have any say that contradicts Milviz’s / Blackbird’s decision in this case. Otherwise, it is what it is, and they’ve said what their decision is.

Whether a plane goes up or down in any given trim state is also a function of its velocity, too.

I will say I have a deep dark memory from days past that said just what Colin is saying, that the Corsair was designed to fly slightly nose down and I was expecting to find that. But I haven’t found that reference (nor have Iooked very hard). So I can’t say my memory is correct. (I’ve been reading about the Corsair since I was something like 7 years old in 1970 :smiley: )

Neutral flight for a combat aircraft would be 2 degrees nose down. As this product flies.

In order to save fuel, today’s “warbirds” are ground trimmed to be nose level. Fuel was the least of the problems for a combat bird.

We will, again, not be fixing what is not broken. If you want it “fixed” to your specifications, we suggest that you mess around with the config files.

1 Like

This is more than 2 degrees. And its in a slight climb. Please explain.

1 Like

Well, I give you credit for trying to explain for them. I didn’t see any explanation from Kolin regarding the technicals of how they set the aircraft up. I was hoping for something along the lines of wing incidence and washout versus thrust vector and all that. Instead, I got “if you look at the movie clips” which is ridiculous. Also, “trimmed for a combat state” is also ridiculous because, as you mentioned, trim is a function of speed, not a function of potential weapons employment.

Above all, I gather from the harshness of the customer relations that the developer is not particularly interested in the accuracy of the model and will not be addressing the raised issues. That’s completely fine by me. It is what it is and I will move on.

How are you measuring the angle? The wings look “level” to me here.

Perhaps you and Colin/Blackbird/Milviz are measuring different things?

Again, I don’t have a dog in this fight, just trying to bring some insight, since details are lacking from people on both sides of this argument and, as @SiphonicMoon7 pointed out, nobody is providing any scientific information other than, “see… look at the plane here”. Who could possibly make a decision based on what’s been given so far?

In which case, eh, I’m happy with the plane as is. It flies. I have fun. I’ll trust Colin that they’ve put in the effort to design the plane as closely to the real one as they could.

And one point I forgot to mention, one reason for the nose down state design was for landing on carriers (and in general).

2 Likes

2 degrees nose down as he states. Its far more than 2 degrees. When in VR it feels like you are in a dive looking at the ground. Yes the wings are level in the screen shot, but that’s not how it flew.

1 Like