[RELEASE] Ulrichen LSMC - Highest European airbase | MartinFromCH

Trailer:

Category Options
Cost freeware
Category airports
Creator flightzoomer

My second airport on flightsim.to after the Frutigen scenery is another closed Swiss Air Force air base: Ulrichen - LSMC

But, other than Frutigen, Ulrichen is a downright jet air base with a long runway, which saw jet operations until the nineties.

For inspiration, I would like to point you to these two YouTube videos, that show the last Hawker Hunter operations from Ulrichen:

So what highlights are offered by this Ulrichen scenery?

• The airbase had a spectacular canyon-approach, for which the pilot has to literally throw down his aircraft the steep flanks of the Minstiger-Valley. In the above videos, the canyon approach is shown here. In MSFS, I have recorded and published the canyon-approach under this link.
  • The airport has two shelters on the other side of the Rhone (up there called Rotten). These shelters are connected to the taxiways with wooden bridges! So in the scenery you have to taxi over a wild mountain river in order to reach the runway.
  • Very unique is also the railroad crossing, which has to be passed by the aircraft coming directly from the Rhone/Rotten bridge!
  • The Furka-Oberalp (FO) railway is modeled fully in the area of the airport, including a precise replica of the catenary with wooden masts. A train with an authentic FO HGe 4/4 I locomotive and a couple of jet fuel tank cars (which existed on the Swiss narrow gauge networks exactly for the purpose to transport aircraft fuel to the remote Alpine air bases) is waiting on a siding next to the airport.
  • The U-68 aircraft shelters and the hangar recreate the scenery as it looked about at the early 1970ies. This aerial image from 1967 shows the layout and the details, how they are modelled in the scenery.
  • Flight duration from the eternal snow of the Aletsch-area glaciers to the circuit of LSMC: 30 seconds.
  • Highest fighter air base in Europe.
  • Good place to take off with Swiss military airplanes, be it the F/A 18, the PC-6, the Ju-52 or even the upcoming Hawker Hunter.
  • Even after being closed, Ulrichen was used by Italian aircraft manufacturers for high altitude testing.

For support, please write a comment at the flightsim.to page, where you can download the scenery!

5 Likes