[RELEASED] Ant's Airplanes Tiger Moth

Not all of them, the internal panel options save between sessiosn but the external options are preset by the aircraft.cfg for the individual livery.

1 Like

Don’t let the tablet put you off :wink:
It’s a great fun aircraft :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t even use the thing - liveries can set the airframe options anyway, cockpit stuff sticks, tablet is entirely optional.

Its true that if you change the default external model options (e.g. straps around the oil tank) then they won’t stick as they are defined in the .cfg but you can do a ‘one time’ change in the .cfg and you’re set.

I really wouldn’t let this put you off - its a great aircraft.

I got it… one flight, seems great! Going to plan a little tour with it, get to know it more. This airplane is what the sim is good for. Low and slow.

I de-quirkyfied my rpm gauge so it sits straight…

1 Like

Yeah I thought I would do that when I got the plane, but the strange orientation added to the flavour of the plane so I ended up keeping it in its default state.

Soon coming up on six hours in this beauty within three days. Still awesome!

Wonder what the real purpose of that clickspot is? Surely there is a reason why you’d want your gauge at a jaunty angle.

My hypothesis would be that the gauge physically won’t fit in a horizontal orientation. The manual does state that the orientation is accurate to the real life plane. But maybe someone with real life experience on the Moth could confirm.

Reminds me a bit of Soviet era planes where I’ve seen similar things. In those cases I believe it was done to orient the position where the dial would be in normal operation horizontally or something along those lines. But that doesn’t seem to apply to the Moth.

Pretty sure it’s so 12 o’clock on the needle is regular safe cruise RPM. Not redline but best revs for not over stressing the engine.

3 Likes

In racing cars they used to orient the tachometer so that the red line would be most easily visible to the driver or even be in the 12 o’clock position. Maybe this has a similar reason. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Aligning the a correct reading for a gauge, whether pressure or flow or some other settable rate is a standard method for power stations and similar activities. They are usually set to the upright or 12 o’clock position so that all gauges are the same. This makes it easier and more reliable to keep them in check at the desired position.

Is there a way besides going through the checklist to jump to the view to open the engine cowl (priming?)

Ctrl-4 is the default keystroke ( iirc ). Ctrl-5 for props, Ctrl-6 for front mags.

Aces - bought and will really enjoy this. Thanks for posting.

When I bought his FSX model and flew it in VR it was hard to stop smiling.

I saw a couple of old looking aircraft flying past a couple of years back and got my camera out - it wasn’t possible to ID them with the naked eye or through the lens, so I zoomed in to max and took a couple of snaps.
When I put the photo’s on my PC it was clear to see one was a Tiger Moth - think the other was a Gypsy Moth, but not sure. I’ll see if I can dig that out. There are a lot of classic aviation sites around where I live - seen all sorts over the years like a B-17 (“Sally B”) a Catalina and so-on. A field a few miles away does experience flights in the Chipmunk and Harvard/Texan. There’s an Auster fly-in next year which I’ll be visiting, with my camera! Really lucky.

edit: Here ya go - slightly out of focus due to the distance…

Moth flight 1

1 Like

Its not Gypsy Moth. The wings are straight on a Gypsy Moth. Looks like a Hornet Moth to me with a wider cabin
edit Not a Hornet Moth either after looking at images as the wings are straight…think it is a Thruxtun Jackaroo which is essentially an enlosed cabin 4 seat Tiger Moth. We have one here at my local airport in Tauranga NZ… the only one in NZ… are you in the UK?

1 Like

Yes - not far from Coningsby. It was actually a Hornet Moth that I thought it was - just got mixed up! :slight_smile:

It’s my age… Do you think they might both be Tiger Moths?

edit: just looked them up and yes, you’re right. Wonder if you’d know a couple of others I have - Any clues?

sorry for going OT…

Looks like a Spartan Executive ( very nice old radial engine aircraft - quite rare) and an Extra 300

1 Like

Thanks - really an Extra 300? Never would have thought - I’ve only seen them in FSX but Fenland airfield has some aerobatic display weekends and they were probably on their way there.

Edit - might have found it: NC17633 | Spartan 7W Executive | Private | Matthew Hallam | JetPhotos

The guy in a video of this plane on YT said there are only two flying examples left - one in the US and one in the UK - guess I was pretty lucky to spot this outside of an airshow.