[RELEASED] Ant's Airplanes Tiger Moth

You mean two examples of the Spartan Executive? That’s really a pitty. It is such an icon and a looker :grinning:

I hope secretely Asobo will bring it as one of their Famous Flyers or some other dev would take the challenge.

The only Spartan Executive I have ever had in a flight sim was the one for FS2004 later ported over to FSX.

1 Like

Back on topic,

I hope the dev is planning updates to this one in future. I think a bump in texture resolution in the cockpit wouldn’t go amiss, especially on the compass faceplate and other gauge faces.

I’d also love to see the cockpit interaction system align with the standard lock system, I.e move things with click and drag, it would make repositioning the trim handle or compass face a lot easier

There’s at least 3 examples of the Spartan flying in Europe - N17615, NC17633 and N47W. The Extra 300 is G-EXIL

1 Like

I now have about 20 hours in the Tiger Moth and can say with confidence that it has become my go-to airplane in the sim. With VR sitting in an open cockpit is simply great. Sure, it’s not the fastest thing in the sky, but for low-and-slow it can’t be beat.

By the way, there hasn’t been mention of it in this thread but there’s one livery with a different colour padding in the cockpit. Thought I’d point this out in case there’s anybody else who likes the lighter cockpit more and wasn’t yet aware that it existed :slight_smile:

That’s the airframe A17-692 for anyone who wants to try it out.

3 Likes

Oh all right, you’ve convinced me! :grinning:

I’ve been holding off on this since it released as I wasn’t sure I needed another biplane in my hangar, but wow it sure looks like fun. Looking forward to trying it later today.

1 Like

I wonder if any repainted wants to take a crack at a WW1 “Fokker” livery like the Tiger Moths and Stampes used as on-screen stand-ins for period fighters in The Blue Max?

Bought it a while ago and finally got to fly it a couple times last night. I love it.

Only disturbing part was the need to read the manual to get it started properly :wink:

But, really, I loved that, too.

2 Likes

Is it possible to patch in sounds without rebuilding/replacing the whole lot? one thing this is badly mssing is some rather overwhelming wind noise in the cockpit…

1 Like

F-AZEI (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6 Likes

Just placed my order for a Reverb G2… this airplane will probably be my first priority trying VR

1 Like

Not that I disagree with you, but, especially since this is a base aircraft now and not a niche addon, that’s on purpose?

It’s so cool…

This, and the JN4d are great in VR, like feeling the wind in your hair….

1 Like

I’ve been contemplating getting a fan with a windscreen in front of me…

2 Likes

I got a ceiling fan mounted vertically on a gimbal to the front of my desk - the monitor is the windscreen - set it on low if you’re flying the Jenny tho…

rotate the fan up to horizontal for helicopters - lol - like a stable genius

3 Likes

That would indeed be awesome! Maybe even have the wind noise increase significantly when leaning out of the cockpit in VR or with a head tracker. Boy would that increase immersion!

6 Likes

Just get FSRealistic… Has a tonne of immersive effects incl. wind noise added to aircraft & can be edited to your liking. Simply, it’s a must have payware addon for MSFS…

2 Likes

I’ve got FSRealistic as well and agree that it’s a superb addon. It does add a lot to the ambience and immersion. What it doesn’t do (or what I haven’t found out how to do it) is to adjust the wind noise based on the viewpoint. Whether I’m leaning out or not the wind noise doesn’t change.

Also right now even at maximum setting the wind noise feels too tame. But I’ll play a little bit with Windows volume control, probably I can find a sweet spot with a bit of work. Anyway that’s not FSR’s fault of course. But it would be cool if they could add a setting for open cockpits which boosts the global level of the appropriate effects.

1 Like

Rise of Flight did this effect perfectly -

2 Likes

That effect was so cool in RoF. I remember the first time I poked my head out from behind the windscreen in that game many a year ago and being amazed by it. I imagine it’d be pretty tough to implement in MSFS as there only seems to be ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ cockpit spaces, no kinda inbetween stage for open cockpits.

1 Like