[V2B2 RELEASED] Fenix High-Fidelity A320

Do you have DX12 turned on in the settings? DX11 is the default and by design it only uses 1 core of your CPU. By turning it to DX12 it unlocks the use of all of the core and should bring your performance up.

1 Like

DX12 isn’t optimised yet, I’d be careful with that advice. Can do more harm than good at this stage.

2 Likes

Exaclty what i was told several times. That´s the reason i´m not touching DX12 beta or at least trying to avoid at this moment.

What´s your experience with DX12 with your system? would be nice to share.

Didn´t know DX11 only took advantage of single core, that explain a lot.

i heard rumors that SU10 will bring DX12 out of beta and possibly DLSS

so far only heard bad experiences with DX12 beta

BTW, welcome to the forum.

That happened to me lastnight gonna try again tonight to see if it fixed the issue

Honestly I haven’t had any issues with DX12 beta and it has boosted my FPS up by ~20. I’m using a 10th gen i5 with rtx3070 and with out DX12 I’m always limited by main thread and less than 30fps at 1080p. But obviously YMMV

1 Like

You don’t use rudders in an airliner. Rudders are only used in case of engine failure or when de-crabbing right before touchdown in heavy crosswinds.

6 Likes

Are they used at all to maintain center line during a takeoff roll?

Thats when i need to use “ruders” i dont have one but i need ALWAYS to adjust, otherwise every plane starts to go right during take off and sometimes landnig.

maybe its something related to configuration on MSFS?

I thought they were needed to adjust lining up with the runway as you approach - but as I believe you are an airline pilot from your other posts, I must be wrong in that. So just ailerons for making final adjustments?

I’m using them to steer on the ground too - but I assume that’s in place of the tiller and is a flight sim thing, although I’ve never been clear on that.

1 Like

Sideslip approaches in aircraft with large underslung engines isn’t generally very conducive to avoiding pod strikes (somewhere about 10deg bank and you’re gonna hit an engine, so you don’t have all that much bank to play with). Crab n kick is AIUI the preferred method for landing once you get up to this class of aircraft.

As for taxi, they also have tillers - until you get to 80 knots the rudder isn’t effective so you taxi and do the initial stages of takeoff with the tiller, up to rudder once airflow lets it kick in. You have limited steering through the pedals, but with a tiller you just don’t.

In the air yaw dampers let you take your feet off the pedals unless there’s a failure of some type until you can trim it where you want.

3 Likes

Yes. I meant in flight you only use pedals during an engine failure and to decrab for landing in crosswind. You don’t use them when you’re hand flying the airplane at all. For directional control you only use the sidestick.

On ground you use the pedals to maintain the center line during take off and landing and you can also use them to maintain the centerline on straight taxiways. The pedals give you a 6º nose wheel authority to each side and the tiller 74º to each side.

5 Likes

The approach is done in a sideslip. In the last stages of approach you can change to a crabbed flare where you will have the upwind wing slightly lower than the downwind wing and you will counteract the turning tendency with opposite rudder. On contaminated runways we usually don’t crab or get out of the sideslip. We just “smash” it to start breaking ASAP.

Some airplanes do exactly this during automatic landing. The autopilots start the approach in a sideslip and at some point on the glideslope they’ll switch to a crabbed approach. It’s fun to watch. I’m a Boeing guy so I don’t know if the a320 does this but if it does, I’m sure the Fenix would do it.

On the a320, all the directional control during the take off roll is be done through the pedals. The pilots don’t touch the tiller during take off once the airplane is lined up with the runway. The authority of the nosewheel steering through the pedals is enough to maintain runway center line and this is improved by applying forward stick until 80kts and reducing gradually to 100kts.

The A320 FCTM has a chapter dedicated to every technique required to fly the airplane.

8 Likes

Interesting. Every approach I’ve flown since getting out of single engine pistons has been done by crabbing into the wind to keep my ground track aligned with the centerline until almost touchdown, and then applying rudder and aileron to get the touchdown straight on the runway. But admittedly I’ve not flown anything this big.

The good thing about big airplanes is that they usually come with a big book called FCTM (Flight Crew Training Manual). This is not the FCOM or the AFM, it’s just a book where Boeing describes the tried and tested techniques on how to actually fly the airplane. The training programs of the airlines and type rating courses follow the guidelines of the FCTM. And you know what they say about airplane manuals… they’re usually written in blood.

3 Likes

where we can have access to those things? if we can at all.

Just google them. The FCTM should be easy to find. The rest, not so much unless you’re close to someone who flies IRL and can send you a copy.

For the rest of the systems you have this website which, of course it’s not like having the actual books, but it covers all the systems from the pilots’ perspective. On the right menu there are links to must read documents, like the FCTM (Great bathroom reading material) and many other things. You should download every one of those documents.

2 Likes

And another one… I love this plane!

Where to get TRANS FL and BARO or RADIO minimuns for PERF to DESCENT?

can´t find on my EFB and have no idea on where to look.

anyone?

getting around 45-50fps, everything on ULTRA , TOD 100, OLD 200

Any ideas on why the clouds looks somehow pixelated? specially on the borders / ends

ps: see on full size to notice, that´s how i see while flying.

also noticed those weirds lines on radar screen.