[RELEASED] Mini-500 | Got Friends

Have to re-test this, because i didn’t hear anything what annoys me.

edit:
Tested and not heard anything bad. What exactly do you mean?
What bothers me more is the following:
Having the collective at a point where the heli climbs slowly, i can hand off and the heli does not crash (TM warthog joystick). Flys a right circle with up and down. It does not really simulate a helicopter here with an unstable flight path.

2 Likes

Have you tried using the headphones below the seat? It doesn’t just deafen the audio, it changes the sound profile, at least to my ears.

*Edited for spelling.

2 Likes

I like this but I’m unimpressed with the number of bugs/non-working bits when I try and start it.

1. The row of switches is all stuck in the off position, although they can be switched I’m now not sure which are on or off because the graphics are stuck.
  2. The altimeter sets itself but I can’t change it, the calibration knob doesn’t do anything.
  3. The engine starts with the rotor engaged, the clutch switch is inop.
  4. The trim button on the stick did show me what values the trims were set to the other day but now it’s not showing me at all. Now I’m not sure what trim values I have since I tried to fiddle with it. Takeoff is going to be interesting.
  5. The issue with indicator lights visibility I mentioned above and I know is on the list for fixing.
  6. I’m currently unable to use the knobs on the radio, volume and tuning are stuck. It did work before.
  7. Flying around NZ on Friday I had issues with the Nearest page on the pad getting stuck, and not updating.
  8. Door switch says doors installed but they’re are not drawn. When i toggle it twice they appear and disappear and now it correctly says not installed, so it did resync.
  9. Maybe not a bug but I find the dust storm when lifting collective on the ground way over done. Maybe it I was talking off from dry beach but I don’t expect dense clouds when taking off from tarmac.
  10. I set the fuel tank to full in the world map but it’s still loaded only half full, I need to fill it in game.

I’m on xbox series X running beta .21. Maybe some or all of the above are known but I’m probably going to end up back in the Cabri soon because that does all work well. Looking forward to a fully functional mini!

OK that flight didn’t work at all. I tried to take off and it pitched heavily to the left, I had to use 50% right collective just to get level even after I got in the air with speed. I tried to trim collective but it just wouldn’t.

I restarted the flight, now all of the knobs are working and the switches. So I can set altimeter, radio, etc. Trim is showing on tooltip and working.

This was the first flight after restarting the sim but somehow it loaded in a bad state. It did this to me once on Friday too.

Does anyone else find this really hard to control downwind even with 10kt windspeed? I find it weathervanes really hard at slow speed and I find it much harder to control downwind than the Cabri, eg. taxiing.

1 Like

Love it,
and yes, i have to reload after start a flight,then all work…
if not,the switches show not red for on or off and take off the heli go straigt to the right.
after reload all work fine,
so 9 of 10 points
also nice to paint

they are at fs.to

1 Like

Disclaimer: I’m not a real life pilot.

But I think the weather vaning is way overdone in the mini. After finding it confusing to control during takeoff and landing in live weather, where the main rotor torque didn’t behave like a heli usually does, I tried some practice with a weather preset.

With zero wind it works just like I’d expect, I need to use the anti-torque pedals to counteract main rotor torque.

When I add a 4m/s wind from the north then I don’t need to touch the pedals at all. I take my feet right off and I can take off, hover at 100ft and land again without touching them, the whole while the heli points steadfastly to the north. 4m/s is 8kt, that’s a very gentle wind, I find it hard to believe any heli can really get enough weather vane to counteract rotor torque with 8kt of wind, and this one seems to have quite a bit of power.

If there are any real life rotary wing pilots that can educate me otherwise then I’d be very grateful!

It’s a very light aircraft, I would expect it to get beat up by winds.

2 Likes

I don’t know that I would classify most of these as bugs. It’s more just quality of life stuff. I can comment and give info on most of these though.

#1 is pretty common. This is likely the same issue for your radios in #6 as well. Sometimes animations in the sim will not initialize on load-in. This has been a long-time bug which affects multiple aircraft, including default. Not just this heli.

It was really common in the first year of the sim, but then didn’t pop up as much until the last few months. Now I experience it pretty often in multiple aircraft. The simple fix is usually to just bring up the menu and restart the flight. Usually it’s working fine on that next load.

I know this is something Got Friends have looked into a lot and there does not seem to be a known cause/solution, but there is some speculation that it happens more with aircraft that tend to use state-saving (such as many GF aircraft). So, it’s likely something in the core-sim.

I don’t have the Altimeter issue. I am also on PC though… I can hit the button to auto-adjust it to the current pressure or change it manually with the adjustment knob. Maybe this is something tied in with the broken animations? If not, check that you don’t have any assists or copilot stuff turned on (Likely the latter, if I had to guess). Maybe one of those is taking over that duty for you.

Though they work just fine in the Cabri, clutch and governor are known to be broken for all turbine helicopters. This is a core sim issue that will supposedly be patched in the upcoming SU12 update. It’s likely devs will have to push a patch for their aircraft to get it working, after so.

I don’t typically touch the trim since GF built the M500 to be much more stable than a typical helicopter. From what I remember when the team was building it, the oddly stable flight model was actually done based on Mini-500 pilot discussions of it being almost hands (feet?) free in that regard (At least in cruise).

I agree that it would be nice to have the value set in the tooltip for QOL, though. Same with the top indicator lights. They are pretty dull during the day.

The nearest page, I have not experienced that issue, but that is just the default Aera avionic. So, nothing to do with the Mini since it is only calling that gauge to displayed in the panel.

Door switch is a known bug. Though, I don’t know anything on this past it being something I can reproduce and that it has been brought up before.

And for the last two, I haven’t paid attention to either of those… so I guess this is where my usefulness ends… lol :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah it bugs out on liftoff from time to time, just restart and its all good again.
It pulls/tilts right and you cant stop it.

2 Likes

It really depends on the control rigging, but no, an 8 knot headwind isn’t enough for the vertical stabilizer to counteract torque during a pickup in the helicopters I have flown.

With that said…a 4-8 knot wind is enough to keep your feet really busy while hovering or taxiing depending which direction it is coming from. A tailwind especially, even a light tailwind, makes hovering a challenge in a small light helicopter.

1 Like

'Since the last beta update 1.31.22.0, this heli is nearly unflyable. on take off it rolls left, have to use extensive right stick not to tip over. Up in the air its the same, constandly trying to roll over to the left. Anyone else seen this?
The Bell 407 & Flysimware 206 seem uneffected. (the flight model of the 407 starts to get better and feels like a heli)

EDIT:
i’ve just test-flown this heli again and today all was back normal.
I guess right after the update there were settings which mixed up things. All good again. :+1:

1 Like

I experienced the same yesterday. For me it turned out to be a controller issue.

2 Likes

It is a glitch they are aware of and will be fixed in the next update.

1 Like

For those not in their Discord:

10 Likes

I love these guys! :smile::+1:

2 liveries i ad to my Hanger!

love this Heli :wink:

where you got the liveries from?
The Texaco one looks nice, hope it’s also without guns available.

Mini-500 Update Day | Version 1.0.2.

Mini-500 Changelog (v1.0.2):

• Manifest Version Updated
  • Removed Multiple Asobo Templates due to “Bad Loading States”
  • Fixed 3D Scaling on Navigation Suites
  • Fixed Compass Pivot 3D Model Issues
  • Removed Door and Headphone Persistence (Revisit in Future)
  • Door Open/Close/Hide is now independent to User Aircraft
  • Increased Lightbar Emissives
  • Added VRS Simulation
  • Added RBS Simulation
  • Updated Soundpack
  • Added INOP Reminders for SU12 Dependencies
  • Added VFX Checks to Rotor Brake
  • Temporary VFX Fix when Landing Ships (Turn Rotor Brake ON)
  • Fixed Rotor Slow/Blur Colors
  • Updated Flight Manual

Enjoy! Marketplace Update has been submitted to Microsoft and you should be seeing that update in-game in the near future.

• Got Friends
16 Likes

Amazing, you managed to add RBS and VRS while other devs claimed it couldn’t be done. Can’t wait to download this and give it a try!

4 Likes

Yay, just in time for tomorrows MSFS heli group flight