[Released on PC and Xbox] DC Designs Aérospatiale/BAC Concorde

I always wait for Drawyah’s tutorial videos before buying a new plane :smiley:

yes, whenever you were going to create a custom camera in which you do not want the pilot to be seen, you must deactivate the pilot node, which is “PILOT_VISIBLE”

1 Like

So where are we doing the Concorde meetup tonight?

2 Likes

great, reading about the manual and try and error, it seems that after engaging the AP I need to choose INS switch in the autopilot AFCS panel to have it in automatic LNAV, and “ALT ACS” switch for it to follow the selected altitude. I read in the manual that in Mach hold auto throttle I should set the correct target mach speed, is that the one right below the FMC?

and another dumb question here… for the artificial horizon, if I understand correctly, the yellow line in the middle is my plane’s atitude, buf for the FD “cross”, I found that while the AP in INS mode follows the vertical line, but the horizontal line is always like ~10 degrees above the indicated aircraft pitch, since I was only used to the A320 style FD where I am supposed to point the aircraft attitude at exactly the cross indicated in the FD, is ther e something I have done wrong? or it is how the concorde should be

未命名

Yes and no. Let’s expand this a bit.

INS is LNAV basically if you are following a gps route (but works also as VOR NAV because of MSFS behavior if you are in RAD mode). When enganging AP, the primary AP vertical mode is PITCH HOLD unless you set ALT HOLD (or your current altitude match the target altitude), or VERT SPEED previously.

ALT ACQ will aim to reach the altitude preselected through the alt rotary selector, once concorde reach the target altitude, ALT ACQ auto dissengages and AFCS set ALT HOLD. Don’t try to set an altitude and hope ALT HOLD reach it because it will only hold the current altitude.

The same behaviour for IAS: IAS HOLD, hold current airspeed, when MACH HOLD will do for mach. IAS ACQ for selected IAS and once is reached, it swaps to IAS HOLD. MACH HOLD doesn’t work with IAS ACQ.

The middle yellow line is your plane’s “aTTitude” not altitude, and the flight director horizontal line should varies according the target, so not neccesarilly should match the attitude line.

4 Likes

Impressive takeoff!!!

I have missed some advanced aerobatic maneuvers worthy of your skills like Cuban Eight, some Hammerheads or an immelman even to mention someof them . but I’m sure I’m going to love what I see tomorrow. thanks for the advance!

1 Like

so let’s see if I understand it correctly: in INS mode I would be going LNAV, and if the switch is in RAD mode it will follow the VOR beacon if the frequency is set.

PITCH HOLD is the mode where my current pitch is at, say before engaging AP I am climbing at 4000 ft per min, engaging the PITCH HOLD will keep it as is, where ALT ACQ is trying to go to the preselected target altitude.

IAS ACQ is to achieve the IAS preselected, max out at 400 knots, if I wanna go faster, I should do it manually and once reached, select the MACH HOLD/ IAS HOLD as appropiate.

the middle yellow line with a rounded bottom is the Attitude indicator, and when the FD cross is showing where I should be in the flight plan, ideally, if I want to follow the flight plan or the ILS landing frequency set and intercepted, I should steer the plane until the attitude marker follows the FD cross (lowest part of the “belly” to the vertical line, attitude/wing level to the horizontal line.)

Just getting started - looks great so far. Setting up controls and found that flaps move the nose up/down which is cool. Noticed a slightly odd thing when moving the lever from top position down one and then back up. It is like the brightness through the windows changes. Maybe a minor bug?

4 Likes

No, it’s to remove the inner windshield so that the rain falls on the visor when it’s up, but falls on the inner windshields when the visor is down :+1:

5 Likes

Correct.

Correct. I will go further, it is part of the FBW autotrim system when you are not on autopilot, you point and the plane goes in that direction adjusting the elevators to maintain the current attitude.

Not neccesarily, you can increase autothrottle speed with the autopilot datum adjust unit:

The left one is the autothrottle datum adjust. allows you to adjust IAS or MACH when you are in ias hold or mach hold (max is 540 IAS or 2.04, within the VMO limits, you cannot set mach 2.04 at sea level). The right one is the pitch datum adjust, and will allow you to change pitch attitude, vert speed or altitude depending the vertical mode selected.

The middle one is a bank turn knob when you are in AP and HDG HOLD and INS is disabled. It allows a max bank turn of 35 degrees at subsonic speed and 20 above supersonic speeds.

Yes, but it must match the flight path angle, not your pitch attitude. Sometimes for an aircraft to stay level the nose is raised or lowered depending on the center of gravity or fuel load, and hence the concorde fuel system to adjust the trim plays an important role. That is why sometimes it can coincide and sometimes not.

1 Like

Ah OK, got it - nice - didn’t think about that - great details

right this really makes it clear (or at least apparently I understands that). will try from cold and dark during weekend, a fun plane to fly! the manual landing is less challenging than I expected though, maybe since I flew a lot in the FBW A32NX with full manual approach phase so speed, VS managing is kind of easier

1 Like

Do not confuse them, the Concorde was the first FBW airliner (I hope I am not wrong in this statement). But not full FBW as the a320 is (as you know BOEING and AIRBUS have different policies on how FBW should work today but the concorde is way older so it doesn’t fit any of them and its FBW is combined with the hydraulic system)

Also note that the Concorde was designed with a unique orgival delta wing system (there is no NACA identifier for it, rather it is based on a LERX delta wing with many camber, dihedral etc corrections). You must maintain an AOA between 10 and 13 degrees and airspeed higher than normal in order to land properly. And like the previous ones, it is more than capable to perform Category III ILS landing.

On the other hand, the Concorde does not use flaps, and the visor simply helps the pilot’s view for the landing, although it can add a bit of drag when deployed.

3 Likes

Awesome

8 Likes

another thing i wanted to point out is that the cruise speed of the concorde is mach 2.04 or 540 ias at 60000ft (without AB) but not the max speed. the maximum speed reached is 2,247 mach when the temperature in the tropopause is -70 degrees Celsius and the temperature of the plane does not exceed 127 degrees so as not to damage the fuselage (IRL). Here you can reach that speed, under those requirements (in most cases you will need AB)

1 Like

Oh man thank you so much for the pictures! I definitely got a little lost at the engineering station.

1 Like

So I took a moment on my lunch break to download the plane and install. Can’t wait to give her a spin after work. I saw from the crowded multi-player skies around KJFK that I am not the only one.

I did a quick fly-through the cabin with the drone cam and noted a weird issue where, passing through the red curtain at the end of First Class, the textures behind remained blocky and low-res for the entire aft end of the plane. The first-class cabin looked the same for a split second after passing back forward, then rendered in fully. Is the main cabin modeled?

1 Like

@LameLefty I believe it’s just the first class cabin that was modeled for interior viewing. The blockly / low res you find after the red curtain is more than likely for when you are viewing from the exterior model, and not designed for interior “walk-through” viewing.

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense. Just wanted to be sure there wasn’t something borked in my install.

2 Likes

THANKS! This worked, the battlery sound is infernal btw hahaha was it like that in real life? Jesus, poor engineer

1 Like