[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

Yeah! That’s the way to do it. Did you try to use some radio range navigation while you’re at it? I’ve had mixed results trying it myself xD

I need to learn it. Will read the docs while Otto takes over on the route to Damascas :grin:

I still fly this and have had no real issues with starting or unexpected engine failures once I worked out it’s idiosyncrasies.

Sadly at some point though an update will eventually break it.

Is it worth buying for a new purchaser? It has issues, but is still working and fun to fly but you do need to be aware that at some point sooner or later a sim update will break it.

4 Likes

Although I am still very much a fan of the 247D, despite it never really reaching it’s full potential, I have to say that the Denarq mod for the Carenado Beech 18 is giving me the light twin, radial engine management fix that I was hoping for with the 247.

3 Likes

Was not aware of this mod so thanks for mentioning. I do like the 18S. Must dust it down.

1 Like

Here is the forum thread for it. The dev has mentioned another update coming so it looks to get even better. They have really done a terrific job with it so far. I have been very impressed.

3 Likes

If anyone hasn’t yet, do try the Radio Range navigation built into this plane. Listening to the beeps and riding the solid tone is a really cool experience, all while monitoring the engine and oil temps and pressures and hand flying the airplane.

8 Likes

Next thing to learn for me. Leaving Cairo to Damascus. Not sure there are any beacons to tune into in that neck of the woods but I’ll take a look.

Must admit I mainly use the radio to listen to the jazz.

Some general comments on flying the 247D.

Startup - The B247 is quite satisfying to start once you get the sequence right. The two common mistakes with the B247D seem mainly related to impatience. You need to remember to pump fuel pressure up a second time before hitting Engage (the first time is when priming) and you should never hit engage as soon as the button goes green. For a reliable start you need to keep the ground guy cranking until the percentage next to his photo hits 30% which is some 20 or 30 seconds after the engage button becomes available.

The other thing is the need to stay ahead of temps and pressures. In this type of aircaft the co-pilot was also a defacto flight engineer who continuously monitored oil temperature and oil pressure.

Reacting to a temp or pressure going too high or to low AFTER it is already out of optimal range is often going to be too late and the damage is already done. You need to react, at a minimum, when the gauges first start to move or even better predict what is about to happen and prepare for it.

For example if your engine Ts and Ps are stable and you are about to open the throttle then open the cowl flaps a smidgeon first, if you are climbing and OAT is dropping, increase carb heat and open the cowl flaps a little before starting the climb, and then close them a fair bit once you level off. You should eventually know reasonable settings for any common throttle/OAT combo and be able to say ahead of the engine, that is sort of how it was done in real life.

9 Likes

Yes! So much this!

As a clarinet player, it definitely suits my love of early jazz.

2 Likes

For someone who has this gem and the new mod for the Carenado D18: when you talk about the engine and temps management, are both addons at the same level of complexity?

I would say they are similar in what they simulate, somewhat, but the Beech 18 is way more forgiving. In flight it’s not at all difficult to keep the 18’s temperatures under control. The 247 temperatures and pressures are more sensitive and will definitely climb or sink depending on airflow, ambient air temperature, and engine power more than the 18. And you have to select the correct oil grade for the outside temperature which can really affect the engine.

Thank you for the info. Very useful.

In the Denarq mid for the Beech 18, your actions with the engine management levers have direct and measurable changes to the engine T’s and P’s. There is no guesswork as to why you oil temp suddenly decided to bottom out for ten minutes as it can in the 247. In the 18, you are in control of what the engines are doing and what actions you take, definitely matter to the engine life. It is more forgiving in the sense that it responds logically to inputs, but it is also more demanding in that you need to watch the gauges because they represent the actual engines. If you peruse through this thread to back when we were all discussing the engine readings at length, you can see where the frustration of engine gauge readings not following changes made to control settings was a hot topic. Some of us decided to just ignore certain engine readings behavior and just keep flying and having fun. I am in that group and I still enjoy the 247 for what it brings and don’t focus too much on the issues.

But the 18 now brings that type of engine management excitement with a much higher degree of fidelity in that you can see the engine respond logically to your inputs. It is really a wonderful mod and it shows what is possible in the sim.

6 Likes

Posted one year and one day ago and complete radio silence since.

3 Likes

As said before, harping on about the fact that the one man dev has suffered some sort of health issues, or mental health breakdown or ended up in jail or something is really a waste of everyones time. We all know he is out of action, probably permanently.

What would be useful to post is helpful workarounds for those of us still flying the 247D instead of repeating the obvious, he is AWOL and unlikely to come back.

Well, no.

The above info might still be of utmost importance for potential buyers who:

• get information of issues acknowledged by the dev,
  • learn that the dev is not supporting the addon (for whatever reason),
  • who are not following this thread.
9 Likes

Just thought I’d celebrate the one year anniversary. And what you posted is pure conjecture. Sad thing is, for whatever reason, he has a history of doing this with the Vega for FSX/P3D which is in an even worse state than the 247D. Oh also with his Bleriot, a minor thing but he promised to add smoke effects when starting up the engine when it became possible to do so and a ton of third parties have added those type of effects since and no update from him. Small thing but just goes to show…

I think he will reappear again, like he would every now and then for the FSX/P3D Vega. Probably when he wants to flog the Vega he’s apparently working on for MSFS. Maybe he’ll promise to fix up all the 247D bugs then and fix whatever bugs the Vega for MSFS probably will have as well and then vanish into the aether for another year or two. I’d love to be wrong on that but, well, seems to be the way the dude operates.

2 Likes

Man you got me excited there for one second. That’s until I started reading the message and I figured out is was just a repost of the old message from Ottmar :disappointed:

14 Likes

Same here. (;

1 Like