[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

Real life can throw curve balls. I have a daughter with mental health issues for example and 99% of the time she appears fine but there are also those times when she locks herself in her room, refuses to talk to anyone, does not answer the phone and leaves her mail unopened for months. As another example I have a friend that has been fighting a battle with cancer for years, usually it is in remission and he seems fine but there are times where things flare up that he can barely get out of bed for weeks.

There is no point or value in second guessing why they have suddenly disappeared or wasting time complaining about it. It is what it is.

Time here would be far better spent discussing the addon itself and what we know about it and where there are issues what users can do to work around any issues.

22 Likes

Hello, I am currently away and cannot test it myself but has anyone tried it in the SU12 beta yet? I’ve had an itch to go flying this bird again it’s been too long :wink:

1 Like

@GMVitus

Wing42, where are you?!

3 Likes

A smart post not to get the thread locked :+1:

2 Likes

In two weeks and two days, he will have been gone for one year exactly.

Im listening to a German podcast on flightsimming on Cruislevel and they also cannot get on contact with wing42. They mentioned in one of the latest episodes that they were out of ways to try to contact them and were asking for help in the community.

As said multiple times above I sincerely hope that the developer is healthy and ok! I won’t be buying from them again though if they decide to come back.

It’s becoming increasingly more unlikely that Wing42 will ever return. The product for what it’s worth is still functional and we can only hope that it stays that way for the foreseeable future.
There are so many great things about this plane that I don’t regret getting it, but if Wing42 does return in some shape or form in the future it’s unlikely that I will ever trust them again.

Such a waste of a great product. Can’t even recommend it to potential buyers.

11 Likes

Yeah i still like it. Currently using it to replicate a 1919 London to Australia trip. Just landed in Cairo and so far just a single engine fire over Egypt. Likely wrong oil as the OAT was considerably higher than I planned for.
Really enjoing the trip and the 247D.

3 Likes

That is epic! I’ve been wanting to replicate the MacRobertson air race of 1934 actually, but have yet managed to acquire the time and courage to do it! Best of luck to you :slight_smile:

Im following this plan from this excellent content. Im not doing it as a bush trip as that always plops you on the runway but the route is good and it comes with a great PDF of the historic flight which I read enroute.

No gps or little nav map following. Just planning distances over time against speed and looking for landmarks. Challenging but fun. I did get lost over France but found my way in the end.
I do use Otto the co pilot also available as a download :sweat_smile: also the odd bit of celestial navigation using the sun.

1 Like

Yeah! That’s the way to do it. Did you try to use some radio range navigation while you’re at it? I’ve had mixed results trying it myself xD

I need to learn it. Will read the docs while Otto takes over on the route to Damascas :grin:

I still fly this and have had no real issues with starting or unexpected engine failures once I worked out it’s idiosyncrasies.

Sadly at some point though an update will eventually break it.

Is it worth buying for a new purchaser? It has issues, but is still working and fun to fly but you do need to be aware that at some point sooner or later a sim update will break it.

4 Likes

Although I am still very much a fan of the 247D, despite it never really reaching it’s full potential, I have to say that the Denarq mod for the Carenado Beech 18 is giving me the light twin, radial engine management fix that I was hoping for with the 247.

3 Likes

Was not aware of this mod so thanks for mentioning. I do like the 18S. Must dust it down.

1 Like

Here is the forum thread for it. The dev has mentioned another update coming so it looks to get even better. They have really done a terrific job with it so far. I have been very impressed.

3 Likes

If anyone hasn’t yet, do try the Radio Range navigation built into this plane. Listening to the beeps and riding the solid tone is a really cool experience, all while monitoring the engine and oil temps and pressures and hand flying the airplane.

8 Likes

Next thing to learn for me. Leaving Cairo to Damascus. Not sure there are any beacons to tune into in that neck of the woods but I’ll take a look.

Must admit I mainly use the radio to listen to the jazz.

Some general comments on flying the 247D.

Startup - The B247 is quite satisfying to start once you get the sequence right. The two common mistakes with the B247D seem mainly related to impatience. You need to remember to pump fuel pressure up a second time before hitting Engage (the first time is when priming) and you should never hit engage as soon as the button goes green. For a reliable start you need to keep the ground guy cranking until the percentage next to his photo hits 30% which is some 20 or 30 seconds after the engage button becomes available.

The other thing is the need to stay ahead of temps and pressures. In this type of aircaft the co-pilot was also a defacto flight engineer who continuously monitored oil temperature and oil pressure.

Reacting to a temp or pressure going too high or to low AFTER it is already out of optimal range is often going to be too late and the damage is already done. You need to react, at a minimum, when the gauges first start to move or even better predict what is about to happen and prepare for it.

For example if your engine Ts and Ps are stable and you are about to open the throttle then open the cowl flaps a smidgeon first, if you are climbing and OAT is dropping, increase carb heat and open the cowl flaps a little before starting the climb, and then close them a fair bit once you level off. You should eventually know reasonable settings for any common throttle/OAT combo and be able to say ahead of the engine, that is sort of how it was done in real life.

9 Likes

Yes! So much this!

As a clarinet player, it definitely suits my love of early jazz.

2 Likes