Reliving a real flight

Back in 2009 I still had my PPL. I flew EHRD-EBTX VFR, using map, compass and stopwatch. A friend of mine was onboard and took pictures. Today I reflew this flight in MSFS, and it was amazing!

So many VFR landmarks to use! Rotterdam city, highways, rivers and more. And I had to look so hard for the grass airstrip amids all the green. Then the uphill landing. Really really nice. I love this sim!

Have you seen how the windturbines turn into the wind, so you can actually tell the wind direction?

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Flew a similar IRL flight with a friend yesterday. This sim is super cool for things like this! Hopefully more relived and new experiences to come!

I’m finding that MSFS2020 is making me want to fly my real airplane less! No long drives to the airport, no expensive fuel, no reliance on good weather, no horrible summertime mountain turbulence, and I can go anywhere in the world in a variety of aircraft. Being able to get up and use the restroom at any time is a bonus, too!

2 Likes

It’s good to hear that flights in MSFS 2020 are very comparable to the real thing.

I have flown the globe many times in my Mooney [FSX and P3d] over the years but using IFR. The scenery just wasn’t good enough for anything else.

I wonder how long it would take me to get totally lost if I attempted another circumnavigation using VFR only! Hahaha.

Clear skies to you.

VFR flying using dead reckoning and pilotage can be a lot more challenging than IFR, especially without relying on GPS, VOR, TACAN, etc. It’s a real challenge, and MSFS2020’s graphics make it not only possible, but lots of fun. Here’s a great primer: https://youtu.be/u6AU5DfG8A0