Remember to check and TURN OFF your rolling cache

In many cases, the game will place the rolling cache file on your secondary hard drive, which is often a conventional spinning disk drive. If this is the case. Disabling the rolling cache can gain you FPS, and reduce stuttering on load-in and when flying.

I noticed that during gameplay my HDD activity was completely pegged at 100% all the time. I found that MSFS was responsible for this disk usage. And turned off the rolling cache. I immediately gained 5-10 fps, and it significantly reduced the time after hitting “ready to fly” that the stutters from loading stopped.

I highly recommend that you check to see which drive your rolling cache is on. And disable the rolling cache if it’s on a slower drive. Many users here have reported performance gains from disabling the rolling cache.

It’s probably also worth a try to disable it even if it’s on a faster drive, just to see if that helps. A large rolling cache can also reduce performance due to having to traverse the cache index every time it wants to load a new tile, checking to see if the new tile is already in the cache.

1 Like

In the devs Q&A, Seb was actually advising users to switch the rolling cache on, as it would help if there were an momentary interruption to your connection.

But I agree with you - you lose more by a reduction in the fps than you gain by removing the occasional stutter.

1 Like

I have my Rolling Cache set at 128 GB on a separate 160 GB drive.

I’m leaving my Rolling Cache ON because I believe retrieving data from a local drive is faster than fetching it from a “who knows where?” server out on the interwebs.

This is just my opinion… I may be wrong.

And I refuse to argue or discuss my decision with any of you.

4 Likes

I don’t appear to have the same problems and have the rolling cache using 32GB on the same SSD. However I’m awaiting delivery of an NVMe drive which I’m going to use exclusively for MSFS and all it’s supporting programmes. Need the storage space anyway but hoping might get some performance improvements :rofl:

That made my morning. I would buy you a cold beer if I could! :grin: :beers:

5 Likes

what is the procedure to turn it off?

1 Like

Wow… three month later…

Even thou I would not turn off the rolling cache myself and wouldn’t recommend to do so, go to settings / general / data scroll down and turn off rolling cache

The issue of rolling cache is machine dependant. For me I have set a 50Gb Rolling cache but on a spare SSD so the process is as fast as possible.

Let me know what you think about this. I went in and noticed my rolling cache was set for my C: drive (this is one of my two M.2 SSD drives) . So I changed the rolling cache to go to a spindle drive (8TB unit) and set it to 80GB (Increased from 8). Do you think that will help my pauses? Like i get 30 to 50 second pauses sometimes, not all the time, but especially when Im about 1/2 hour into flying.

I left it on based on your recommendations, changed it to another drive (it was on my C: drive (SSD) set to 8GB). I moved it to my D: drive, which is an 8TB mechanical drive (spindle) and set it to 80GB. Thoughts?

I’ve changed my rolling cache folder from an HD to the same ssd ,whre MSFS is installed and noticed an better performance !!!

1 Like

And I have the total opposite, moved from same SSD to separate HDD and have noticed a significant reduction in stutters.

There seems to be no method to this madness.

As per Seb’s comments on the Dev Q&A, rolling cache will only help you if you are flying the same area over and over again. To that point,the technology behind delivering the data somewhat matters (spindle HDD vs SSD), but all things being equal, local access to data requests should be very fast compared to pulling it over your Internet connection. If it isn’t, then there’s a bigger problem.

I don’t know, because you’re using SSDs and I have no experience with them.

My experience (and it is OLD) is with traditional disk drives with spindles and platters “back in the day”. Our philosophy was that if everything was on one drive, the read/write head had to move from the area where the program instructions were stored to the area where the data to be acted upon was stored. Hard drives were and are notoriously slow and when they have to retrace their paths, as it were, it starts to add up and things slow down.

To combat that, we’d put the OS and programs on one drive and the data on another. If we had room, we might even separate the OS and the programs under the rationale that the program in memory could theoretically issue three commands and they could be exucuted on the program, the data and the OS simultaneously. These were ideas gleaned from mainframe engineers (IBM, DEC, et. al.) and we thought they walked on water–turns the floor was only wet and the water was only a few mm in depth :rofl: .

There are other bottlenecks to consider and one of them is the width (and technology) of the data path as it flowed around the different systems on the system board, the data cable ways and such. Again, we thought that having more than one drive/spindle meant that information could be moving to or from both drives at once.

All this may seem like minutia, but done thousands of times a second and for hours on end, the lag time can and did add up.

So, how does this relate to your issue? Assuming that the “stutters” you experience are due to data latencies–being called from storage to memory or written from memory to storage or elsewhere. If the “stutters” are because of something else, then you won’t see any improvement.

So, since you’ve done what you did, try it and see. With the impending MSFS update (which you’ll have to take), I’d give it a few days and see. The key here, as in any troubleshooting, is to only change one thing at a time so you know what made the difference–for better or worse.

I hope this makes sense and I’ve been of assistance. Let me know!

Good explanation. Makes a lot of sense. Yea, we setup servers with RAID-1 O/S drives and RAID-5 (or higher) data drives so I know what you are speaking to. The FS2020 update is about half-way downloaded now so it won’t be long before I can do some testing. I’ll probably know fairly soon. I might have to copy out my community folder stuff per the update instructions and try each mod one by one until i know they are all working. but perhaps i’ll keep out all the mods entirely until i perform this test. thanks for the help!

Thank you, good to hear that I was coherent and cogent in my missive. I used to be able to whip those things out and make a point without much effort. These days I get ahead of myself and leave entire clauses out. Such is retirement and old age…

If you don’t mind, how did you start the download of the update? I can’t seem to find a place to start it. I keep starting the sim and nothing happens on the “Checking for updates” page–it pass right through and loads up.

I’d like to get this update started–I’m hearing it’s a slog. I do have a good ISP hear on the estate… :smiley:

Never mind… I finally got into the store…

when i launched , it automatically said you need this update. doesn’t give you a no option, once i hit yes, it told me i had to go to the microsoft store, but when i said “OK” the microsoft store automatcially popped up and there was the MS flight sim already “Downloading” in the store. once done, i had to launch back in and then it came up with the bigger download where it uncompressed all the files and took quite a bit of time. Then when all that was done, i went into the sim and went to World Update III and proceeded to tell it I wanted that , and so that was the third slog you speak of, lol. 3 download, probably took hour or less , maybe it was a half hour or 40 min. What is time anyway, ha.

Yeah, just after I asked you, I found the link to the store and went there and downloaded it. took right at an hour. And I agree… I’m retired, so time is just another reminder to me.

Thank you for the description… mine was the same. No hiccups so far.:crossed_fingers:

1 Like