REMINDER: Reset your .cfg files before WU6 Tomorrow

Mine is 0.0 mb.
I have nothing in my community folder.
I do not plan to add 3rd party “stuff” until they fix the things that were included in the core program and intended to function correctly. I do not think I should have to add a 3rd party Mod in order for my AP to work correctly. It was included in the core program.

For those challenged by trying to find the “Community Folder”, I created a shortcut on my desktop. Then I created another folder “Community Folder Backup”. I take everything in the community folder (moving it, not copying it) to the backup folder, and I’m done. Once update installed, and verified it works without new errors. I then just copy the contents back to the main folder. I’m sure others do something similiar. I have 3 things in my CF, they are now permantently in the backup, becase I removed MSFS from PC because too many things do not work, and that is after a complete low level format of HDD, W10 OEM Reintstall, 20+ hours downloading game, and still errors with mouse not working correctly. Yes, made sure on Modern, changed mouse to original settings, still don’t work. Tried wired mouse this am, no change in FSX, so not sure mouse is issue, something in game is bogus. Going to see what issues in SU6-7???, whatever it’s called, and maybe go through this one more time, what a pain in backside for sure.

1 Like

Note: you can do this, but if does not work you won’t be able to run the backup as MSFS, because it will start update/reinstall again. Just see your files are in the location specified in UserCfg.opt (bottom line), you’ll never download things twice, even on a reinstall.

It does not make much sense actually to back up any MSFS files because they’ll always get restored. So you don’t have to keep files local, unless you’re curious what has changed. I backup (RAR) my cfg’s and xml’s for that reason.

It makes sense when you consider that the installer sometimes decides to delete the entire directory. Even with gigabit fiber it took a while to redownload the 125 GB, plus all world updates, and then reinstall everything I had in the Community folder.

I;ve heard complaints about Steam doing that… it can also happen when something went wrong with following directions in certain Youtube videos, to move things. Did you try to put MSFS on two drives ?

I just don’t play for a few days, then check here to see what problems I should look out for; which will all be well known by this weekend… :laughing:

2 Likes

Then you will never enjoy some of the great FREE things that are being / have been made that greatly improves this game. I agree that the core items should work, but I have given up hope.

3 Likes

I don’t play on Steam, and I haven’t followed any videos :wink:
I have however moved the data folder to a second SSD and created a directory symlink to it. Come to think of it I could update the path in UserCfg.opt instead, though the downside there is that if the sim reverts for some reason I might not notice.

Yes two disks… better change UserCfg.opt to point to your second disk ! If you do that, the install will find an absolute path to check your packages files. Installation programs don’t like symlinks, they are shortcuts for the Windows user.

Is the update tomorrow? I’m pretty sure if you read their blog post carefully tomorrow is an info dump and some live streams of people with early access - the world update is Thursday.

Where do you read that?

As previously announced, next week World Update VI: Austria, Germany & Switzerland will release September 7th

September 7th has been the release date since it was pushed back from Aug 24th (or thereabouts).

Hi Blueline,
I have no intention of never using 3rd party stuff, I just want them to fix the stuff included with the original program first. They put it in the plane, so I think it should work properly. I understand the corporate philosophy : Greed $$$. Too bad more forum users aren’t complaining in social media about the speed at which they fix core program issues compared to the speed of approving new marketplace items for sale. Anyway, we do love the sim. Happy Flying to you and be safe !

3 Likes

IIRC WU6 is scheduled for 7 September. The release of the JU-52 is scheduled for 9 September.

Cheers!

1 Like

it’s that day again :rofl:

Thank you, the ju-52 being released Sept 9th was my confusion.

So, is that September 7th as in midnight September 7th, or some indeterminable time in the morning or afternoon of September 7th? Anybody know?

1 Like

Right, that’s what I mean with my comment.

If it’s to be proactive (remove the contents of the community folder, so nothing in it can interfere or be incompatible) then I get it. Don’t necessarily agree with the logic, but understand it.

Can’t understand what else could be an issue with a folder that isn’t affected directly by an update or the files it modifies.

Typically (big caveat), updates are released just around or at 12 Noon ET US, as MS would be open at that time on the West Coast (9AM PT). That’s not guaranteed in every case.

1 Like

World updates… :cat: because of the size I always do them local time overnight. Best transfer speed and it will take hours anyway… I prefer to sleep while doing world updates.

Move out Community, undo LOD-scaling changes, start MSFS click Ok, let it go through the store… click play there and MSFS will start downloading… check if all goes well…

At least wait for the few first gigabytes and check download loops. If download is looping, do the autotuninglevel trick

…when the big one proceeds properly… go to bed.

1 Like

So far just clearing my Community folder works fine; never had any update trouble