Reno Planes need work

I guess I only bought these because we could fly them in FS. Am I missing something or are these just terrible planes.
Been racing 3 times…not that impressive.
So are they gonna be worked on or do I have another bunch of half baked planes?

1 Like

They are simple planes which were just introduced mostly for use with the races.
Also they all have the same flight model during racing, but are different when flown normally in FS. I don’t think they are terrible, but they certainly are nowhere near the quality of most 3rd party devs - which I wouldn’t expect for the price point. So you get what you pay for. If you want something more sophisticated you’d have to invest between approx 25,- and 40,-€ per plane.

Unless they seriously go wrong with an upcoming update I wouldn’t expect any changes to them.

Since everything in the game and the game itself is released half baked, it’s probably to be expected at this point.

The T-6 class is fun for day VFR, but they need work too. I wish they would unlock the generic T-6 for community modding like we have the JPLogistics 152 for example. Asobo’s visual and sound models are better than any third party that I’ve seen. But they lack all the bells and whistles the third parties put in their planes. I wish we could have both, where Asobo would hand these models off to third parties for additional development work.

I worry that Asobo has too much on their plate, and nobody cares enough for them to spend any additional time on these other than fixing some rather larger bugs some of them have.

2 Likes

Glad i skipped the Reno DLC, those planes are atleast pretty to look at though.

1 Like

The purchase I most regret is the Reno pack. I only bought it for the aircraft, and I’ve never done a race since I have zero interest in that. All I bought was 4 mediocre aircraft, each with 10 liveries/cockpit designs. I flew one aircraft, one time, and was unimpressed. I haven’t touched them since. I hate that it’s listed as 40 different aircraft…it’s added immensely to the struggle of finding an aircraft among my list of something like 300.

3 Likes

Well, you might have tried the other ones, because they ARE different. I have the Miss Virginia P-51A and the standard P-51D from the entry package, and they do behave differently. Those differences are not great and those Reno planes ARE very primitive compared to the Flying Iron Spitfire or the Milviz Corsair. But that’s to be expected at that price. That’s why I only bought the entry package (that’s 5,-€ per plane) and the P-51A (10,-€).

One thing IS certain: compared to some of the stuff out there in Simmarket-land those Reno planes are still a hell of a lot better looking and better to fly than some stuff out there costing 15,-, 20,- or even 35,-€.

So it’s a clear case of: “you get what you pay for”. Expecting anything more from a package like that, is simply not realistic.

I agree here. They might not have all the functions working but they more than give back in the visuals and price.

But to the original post, I would definitely welcome updates or mods

1 Like

I would have to agree

If you’re looking for fun, I do recommend one of the AT-6’s like Eros. The radial in it is one of the better engine sounds in the game. They’re stable in flight and docile on take-off and landing compared to the Reno P-51 and third party warbirds. Easy to trim out and good performance makes them great for VFR sight seeing and joyrides. It’ll bite you with a hard stall, and spins super easy, which is fun too if you want to do aerobatics.

I wish they had more realism features, like engine handling/damage to make them more of a challenge. You can run them at full throttle, full RPM indefinitely without consequence.

The non-functional canopies are my biggest disappointment of all. It would double the enjoyment of these aircraft if you could start-up, taxi, and even cruise with the canopy open, the wind howling, and that throaty radial going.

About half the switches inside are inop. But everything you need for a basic day VFR flight works… in most of them.

There are some bugs in the various T-6’s too though. “Baron’s Revenge” appears to be missing an avionics master, so you can’t turn the radios on from cold and dark. The RMI on the generic/stock T-6 appears to be non-functional, so there’s no radio navigation, and no steam gauge radio nav in any of them, which is fine as they weren’t intended for that. There’s a blank tooltip on the interior light switch on “Gotcha!”, which is trivial, but shouldn’t have escaped QC. The non-Reno pilot model doesn’t fit in “Almost Perfect”, their hands and feet sticking outside of the fuselage.

The cockpit and outside models are gorgeous though, extremely high resolution and detailed. In fact, better than any third party vintage aircraft that I’ve seen. Just sitting in that highly detailed and realistic cockpit is so much of the experience. These planes really shouldn’t be summarily dismissed and forgotten with a “they suck”. Along with the sounds, the T-6’s are some of the most enjoyable aircraft in the sim. So much so that I’ve started a coast to coast USA tour with them:

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.