Reorganize views/camera hierarchy

Dear Asobo team,

It’s been a real pleasure flying in MSFS so far for me! There are some bugs here and there (currently flying v1.9.3.0), but I guess it’s inevitable for such a complex product (especially in the beginning), so no worries :wink: And I must note I really appreciate your openness and communication about ongoing development.

Being a long-time simmer, there is one thing I am struggling with, however: the camera system! The way views are organized is just really not intuitive enough, and switching between them can sometimes become rather difficult. Here are a few improvement suggestions:

(1) Change the way views are grouped/the view hierarchy. Here is one possible pattern/organisation structure:

• GROUP A: Internal views

1. SUB-Group A.1: Cockpit views [Pilot, VFR, IFR, Copilot]
    2. SUB-Group A.2: Instrument views [depends on the aircraft]
    3. SUB-Group A.3: Custom/user-defined views
  • GROUP B: External views

1. SUB-Group B.1: Freelook
    2. SUB-Group B.3: Custom/user-defined views
  • GROUP C: Drone views

(2) Adjust the way we can switch between views:

• One command/button to switch between groups (something like a merge of the currently implemented “Toggle cockpit/External view” and “Toggle drone”)
  • One command/button to switch between sub-groups (like cycle last view used in A.1 => last view used in A.2 => last view used in A.3, and so forth)
  • One command/button to cycle inside of sub-groups (possibly forward/backward)
  • One shortcut/button to jump to a given view from anywhere.

There are three main reasons why I’m this requesting this:

1. I noticed it is not possible to jump directly to, say, the Landing Cockpit view when you’re in External view.
  2. Another very confusing thing is that the Next/Previous Cockpit View commands do not cycle, i.e. when you reach the end you have to go back manually and it will not restart from the first view in the sub-group (in comparison to the Next/Previous Instrument view, which does cycle).
  3. When using the Next/Previous Cockpit View commands, you go from Landing => VFR => IFR => Instrument view 1 (that last one is really out of place, I think). Once you get to Instrument view 1, you can cycle through the Instrument views, but you can no longer use any shortcut to a Cockpit view (for example Landing).

What do you think? Does this seem like a reasonable/feasible request? I’m not familiar with the intricacies of the camera system implementation, so I would appreciate if you could give some insight about whether such a modification would be possible at all.

Many thanks for your consideration,
JustFlyCAVOK

I agree, especially I do not understand, why I cannot switch from cockpit to drone, or from external to drone. I like to have one button to toggle between cockpit, external and drone.

And where the xxx is the flyby view? Is there a reason, why it is not implemented?

1 Like

Well, you actually can switch to drone from any view by using the “Toggle drone” command, regardless whether you’re in the cockpit or in the external view. But it feels weird that you would need to use two different commands to toggle between internal/external, and between drone/not drone…

1 Like

Thread moved to Wishlist, good luck.

Thanks, didn’t find the correct subforum on the first try!

1 Like