Repeated CTD's 1.18.14.0 & 1.18.15.0

Did it work for you?

I will try to update C++ later today to see if that magically helps (even though Windows Update says there are no required or optional updates when I check that)

It didn’t work for me

I have run all the suggested diagnostic commands, all the results are correct, there are no errors.

1 Like

Nor me… still regular CTDs after 20-30 mins flying, even in areas where I never had them before until last week…

then I have only somewhat with a driver in mind, if we exclude hardware issues. On other side I thought the Code:124 is in special related to hardware, but in my experiance can be also caused from drivers.

Its of course hard to find out in online way. I would check that your hardware looks fine ( all sit in slot, etc. ). I’am not a big fan of stress-test tools, but let some run for CPU/GPU/Memory…

In old ages I had also said that possible the anti-vir tool can cause that,… but I hope in year 2021 this should no longer happen :wink:

You should end up with multiple versions installed, rather than them being upgraded. Unless you are specifically referring to the 2015-2019 versions. I’m not sure about those.

I have already performed all the stress tests on my hardware (cpu, gpu and mem), the hardware passed the tests successfully. I tried physically removing and reinstalling the components, even swapping my 850W power supply for a 1,200W just to check that the failure was not due to a power failure. My whole system works fine with other games or other high demand software like multitrack audio and video editing, except with MSFS2020 update 5.
I do not use third party antivirus software.
I really appreciate your helpful comments. Thank you.

1 Like

tried the latest SU5 was flying fine in SU3,4 and all but now i crash-.- in menu or in middle of a flight.-cant reproduce- deleted all my community folders… ASOBO where are still in Alpha or what?

Update: I loaded the 2 updated C++ versions and did a few other things and it worked! I was able to do 3 flights using the zoom on the world map to pick the departure and arrival with no CTDs like before:

1. Updated the 2 files for C++ per the above post.
  2. Deleted all Temp files using Disc Cleanup (including shader cache files deleted too)
  3. Updated to latest NVidia Studio Driver (not game ready driver): 471.68

I already had deleted/re-named all Community Folder items and turned off live weather, air traffic and multiplayer before but was still getting lots of CTDs before the 3 steps noted above. And it had run without CTDs before SU5.

Ran 3 short flights no problem.

Turned back on a few mods (the working title g1000, g3000 and g3x and the Vertigo and Savage airplanes….no other mods at all so no livery files or sceneries)

So far so good….will keep flying and maybe add back a few liveries or other more minor plane mods to see what happens (I don’t have many and they all say they are SU5 compatible but maybe not…)

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone can help me or not. My sim has been running great since SU5 came out. No CTD at all. Then on Saturday evening I started experiencing repeated CTD at the main menu. The sim will get through its loading process and then after approximately 5 seconds or so at the main menu I get a CTD every single time. Its strange and so frustrating that its just started. I haven’t made any changes to my PC. Its always after about 5 seconds on the main menu. I can’t get anywhere near a flight or being able to adjust anything in the sim.

I downloaded the two C++ updates linked to above but it hasn’t made any difference. I tried reinstalling the sim on Sunday and it didn’t make any difference either. My community folder is empty.

PC spec is. 5600X and an RTX 3080. I have windows installed on an SSD and the Steam version of the sim installed on an Nvme drive.

Thanks for any help. I’m tearing my hair out.

edit. Here’s my error log

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 31/08/2021 10:13:32
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-8OTMVBT
Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001f48fc1
Faulting process ID: 0x2ba8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d79e4820cd61a2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 20ce3832-1c8b-40b9-a041-3afd9a8d6e05
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-8OTMVBT

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
0000000001f48fc1
2ba8
01d79e4820cd61a2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
20ce3832-1c8b-40b9-a041-3afd9a8d6e05

Seems a little bit like NVidia users are more often affected of these random CTDs. Especially if it crashes in the menu, you should check the power supply or cooling. On some screens the video card gets high load (coils start whining) and this peak might be the cause. In the windows event log watch out for surrounding events not just the single error event from FlightSimulator.exe.

Since I solved this instant “Fly-Button-CTD” caused by exFat and running on an AMD RX 6800 XT, no CTD in hours of flying. Haven’t installed MSVC Redistributables manually. Even my PSU is 10 years old, (but a very good Seasonic X 560W) and can keep the system fully stable.

Following on from my last post I think I’ve sorted my problem. It seems like the issue was with my Logitech X56 and flight panels. I’ve removed all my Logitech stuff, all programs and drivers and it seems to be working fine now. I’ve plugged my Thrustmaster T1600 back in and its working ok so far.

For some people out there this might be a solution for them. Has anyone had a similar issue? Did you re-install the Logitech software and get everything working ok? I’d be keen to know before I start plugging all my Logitech hardware back into the sim again.

1 Like

I have all Saitek / Logitech panels and RTX3070 GPUs, I had the same problem. I have solved it (for now) by restoring W10 to a previous state, and above all, limiting the GPU to 30 FPS with the Afterburner software, if you don’t do it, your GPU will show more than 1000FPS in the menus and it crashes.

1 Like

What a weird bug. Presumably its something thats going to get fixed at some point? I’ve not been hugely impressed by my Logitech stuff since getting it. The X56 seems like it only semi works well both from a hardware and software point of view. I do like my flight panels though.

1 Like

intressting, so may be a windows issue similar to the sound-driver chaos.

and this is why we mention heat-issues and in special in main menu.

Your GPU do what they can and this cause a very high load in main menu. Limit the fps is one first step to not get “1000fps”, but in special for users with 4K it doesnt helps at all. The background rendering cause a lot of gpu load, also with limitation of fps. Here is a huge topic in wishlist category about: Lower Resources in the Menu, Downloading, and Minimized. FPS cap?

Ah, and you dont need necessarly Afterburner for limit the fps, just open nvidia control center and you can set two different limits : max fps and max background fps ( window is not in focus ).

1 Like

I have used AFTERBURNER also to undervolt the GPU

Hi,
Tonight i soluce my troobleshooting CTD in MSFS
Summary of my Action in

With advice from Help from Microsoft and asobo
For me the problem seems to be solved by reformatting my disk from exeFat to NTFS

Tomorrow i will test long flight in VR.
PapaPilote

Hi All, I was having constant crashes on a Acer Nitro 5 with RTX 3060, i saw a post about downgrading the Nvidia driver. I was able to download and downgrade my driver to 471.11 from June 22 and just did a 25 min flight with no CTD. Not sure if this will fix many peoples CTD but give it a shot and see how you go, i’ve seen issues where bugs in drivers can cause program faults.

Drivers can be downloaded at:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/176524/en-us

For me, I manage to eliminate the CTD when its associate with Nvidia gpu is not to install the GeForce Experience software.

In the windows “Event Viewer” if the apps crash and produce below log. Try to uninstall GeForce Experience.

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Turing_3D, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 380465be-d091-45d4-87de-c09e236db269

But again the CTD is vary from one PC to another. As for me, after I uninstall GeForce Experience apps, Asus GPU Tweak II app, disable TrackIR app, disable FSUIPC7 and my windows now run on the most standard Windows apps, the sim does not CTD anymore. So inconvenience if you tells me.

Lets hope that the WU6 will solve this issue.