Repeated CTD's 1.18.14.0 & 1.18.15.0

In FS2020-Menu: Options - General Options - Graphics - PC: Reset to standard
In FS2020-Menu: Options - General Options - Graphics - VR: Reset to standard
I used personal settings before and had constantly CTDs aftes a few minutes of flight. After the reset everything works fine.

Thanks. Does that not reduce all the graphic settings though? I have mine set to a nice performance but still giving me good visuals. I dont want to be restricted on choosing my own graphic settings, or can they be tweaked again after resetting?
Thanks

Yet another CTD with the latest update, I’m trying safe mode now but I have a feeling it won’t help! I did notice my mouse started acting strange before it happened, only certain buttons were clickable!

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 08/09/2021 10:29:32
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-Q2EK6FG
Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000009dbead
Faulting process id: 0x211c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a4898ad7ad40
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: c368a249-37cb-4ab8-af0d-9fb3e4da3494
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-Q2EK6FG

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
00000000009dbead
211c
01d7a4898ad7ad40
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
c368a249-37cb-4ab8-af0d-9fb3e4da3494
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

When people here write about CTD (Crash To Desktop), do they also mean BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)?

I’m asking because I have had about a dozen of the latter since SU5, but none of the former, and it’s always related to nvlddmkm.sys. Removing a modest OC of the RTX 2070 did not eliminate the problem, and it happens too infrequently to conclude if that has helped at all. Same with reducing the in-sim graphics settings. I have also updated the nVidia driver to the latest game-ready version, but have yet to test after that.

Interestingly, most of the times it has happened, I was touching or launching other programs, such as activating the aircraft symbol in Navigraph or turning my Steelseries headset.

Have you tried changing the driver version?

Yep, and I did mention that, but thanks, anyway. :wink:

If I continue to run into it after WU6 (which I have yet to install), I’ll try to roll back to a driver version older than SU5.

Actually, I was mostly interested in finding out if I’m alone with this issue. Knowing that, would give me a better chance of figuring what to try next.

Can a lack of ram cause CTD’s. I have a high end pc. rtx 3090 with i9 10900k but only 32gb ram.

32gb should be fine, loitering low around NYC and only used 16gb or so and I have 64gb available.

BSODs often mean hardware problems so check cooling etc. and Memtest your ram

A lot of users have 32GB of memory, but one of them could be faulty. The memory I mean, not the users. :wink:

1000 posts of people complaining (just in his thread) and we are still trying to assign blame to everyone but microsot/asobo.
Uninstalled and reinstalled and it still crashes at main menu.
At this point this is just digital paperweight on my drive. Uninstalled.

1 Like

I have CTD with happens with a linkend Event 141 windows error.
For the Xbox MSFS has been optimized for multicore and memory access.
This can be done for a fixed Xbox configuration.

What Asobo and Microsoft have not taken into account is all the PC variations in configuration.
And that simulator PC’s the most extreme variants are.
Thats because they work on the hardware limits to get the best FPS.

Nor could they, there would be millions.

this will mostly not help, your GPU render allways what it can do ( you get then 100fps in low res, instead 30fps in full res, but gpu load is same )… You need to limit the fps and in case you get no longer a bsod, you know you have a gpu heat issue ( or psu is also possible , just hardware )… otherwise may be driver thing…

points in most cases also to a hardware issue… there is a high load in main menu because these usesless background hanger. Do the same test as former mentioned : try limitation of fps…

I used to fly every day with FS2020, often 2 or 3 flights a day. The night before update 5, I did one of such flights. Woke up, installed update, and since then I’ve never been able to get past the main menu again. I’ve tried all the suggestion proposed here, including the one you mentioned and unfortunately none made any difference. Before update 5, none of those “necessary” tweaks were needed to run the game. XPlane 11 works fine, so do all my other similar high workload games. I uninstalled FS2020 for now but thanks.

I’m really beginning to think a lot of these are hardware issues. I fly a ton at max settings and then some w/the CFG file tweaks, and I’m not having any of these problems. 42 min out of JFK from Frankfurt. Butter smooth w/40-50 frames the entire way.

1 Like

Finally solved my issues (CTD since Update 5, when I tried to FLY or use world map) - it was an exFAT file system incompatibility. I have no idea why this didn’t impact the game prior to Update 5, but there we are. Will be formatting my game disk over the weekend to NTFS.

This seems to be popping up with many users, odd as it (exFAT) is usually reserved for flash drives?

2 Likes

There is probably a root cause for this. Either uses are installing them on external drives, or there is some guide out there that recommends exFAT for some reason.

Unless you are sharing that disk with another OS, like MacOS, or using removable drives there is no advantage from using exFAT.

I had a quick look at the specs, and it appears that exFAT does not support symbolic links. MSFS uses those, so I was surprised to read that it ever worked.

I have my OS, and the sim on different disks. Can anyone running the sim on the same disk confirm whether the sim still uses symbolic links for the MSFS profile?

1 Like