' Reserved Space ' on Xbox Series X does not decrease in size after increase and then delete of rolling cache

I have noticed that when you increase the rolling cache past 8gb and then delete and recreate the cache back to default 8gb or smaller it will not actually remove the size of ’ reserved space ’ in line with what you did in the Sim

So let’s say if I created a rolling cache of let’s say 200gb by accident and then tried deleting it the Sim will say it’s back to normal and gone but the Xbox will still keep that 200gb in your reserved space section of Microsoft flight simulator manage game and add ons

This is a little inconspicuous bug but it could actually lead to alot of problems with storage space on the console

#xbox

Can an admin please log this bug

This is the same behaviour on PC.

I was messing around with this awhile back and there was no way to revert it back. Ultimately I re-loaded Windows for something else and on the fresh install it was back to original size.

Did you try switching off and on before looking again? I’m not familiar with the Xbox but some older Windows installations needed a restart.

I have the same problem. I had 150GB rolling cache and removed it completely, but still 193GB reserved space is allocated. I restarted the console, I restarted the game, nothing helps. I submitted a bug in zendesk, but the only response I got until now was if I restarted the console.

I hope they will fix this bug, because 150GB is a lot on a console.

Ah finally someone who is having this issue as well and has noticed it - and the stupid restart your console Zendesk is bad support I think - but tbh if you want go right ahead and delete that reserved space and load up the Sim again and it should fix it all back up if not reinstall is only way to go

1 Like

This is a pretty big deal, and it eats up a LOT of precious and expensive SSD space on consoles!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried My games & apps—>See all—>Manage—>Free up space—>Shrinkable games to see if MSFS shows up there if you’ve used the Rolling Cache and have since turned it off and deleted its data?

I can confirm the reserved space is only growing not decreasing with modifications to rolling cashe. Very easy to reproduce. I would appreciate if this can be improved/fixed.

Voted… definitely needs attention sooner rather than later. I’m at the point where difficult decisions need making regarding which other games i have to lose

Voted. My reserved space is precisely 200GB. This is getting out of hand with only a 1TB SSD.

What is your total Content Manager install?

I’ve got an indicated Space Used of 175.02 GB and Reserved Space of 182.9.

That’s leaves a difference of 7.88 GB that would be saved data, custom camera views, etc. which seems pretty excessive, but I don’t know what else Asobo needs to use the space for.

I’ve got the cache off, but I may have experimented with it once or twice during these last few beta periods.

I will check later👍

The difference is likely rolling cache. You turned it off but it wasn’t cleared.

Yes, this was the subtext of my post. I suppose I ought to have made that more clear.

:smiley:

1 Like

Curse you subtext!

I am doing my own testing now. The game is big by any metric. But there’s always been less SSD space than I expected when I have MSFS loaded for a while without a fresh install.

2 Likes

Gosh, I just created a big thread about this! Been playing flight simulator since march 2022 and Asobo has not addressed this.

Why I wonder …

1 Like

I really think it flew under their radar, and a few threads about this never got consolidated into one thread so it looked like a smaller issue than it is.

Best I can tell, it affects everyone on Xbox. Many just might not notice. Or they might not change their cache settings and buy addons so it wouldn’t impact them.

1 Like

Whether it impacts anyone is besides the point. There’s space going to waste which can be used to install other games and ought to be fixed ASAP.

I have yet to see someone NOT be impacted by it when they look.

Since we are reporting a bug, it is worthy of trying to isolate or reproduce it. A bug that impacts all Xboxes might be prioritized to be fixed higher than a bug that only impacts you.