RIG or Rubbish?

Hi guys,
Is it possible that a configuration like mine has become a trash can that cannot run MSFS 2020 decently in VR at 30 fps and fluid?
This does not happen with XP11, DCS, Aerofly2. or I have to sacrifice all the details and then make it become like FSX. Does it seem normal to you that we have to spend almost 3000 euros for a graphics card to run only MSFS?
If anyone is able to prove otherwise, I’m more than happy.

My config:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3312 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Pro
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31,7 GB
Available Physical Memory 26,4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 42,2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 32,0 GB
Page File Space 10,5 GB
Model Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB
Model Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Model Corsair Neutron XT SSD

Pier

Sorry Guys
I mess Nvidia GTX 1080 TI EVGA 11GB
HP reverb G2.

Pier

It’s the game. It’s a mess.

3 Likes

The game does require some optimization but…

That GPU and VR headset combination. Does that work well for you in any other title?

My 1080ti struggled to push a Valve Index to truly playable frame rates in IL-2 and was a horribly unplayable experience with MSFS2020.

I have since upgraded to a 3090 and IL-2 is butter smooth and fast. MSFS2020 is “workable” and a lot better than the 1080ti could push but it still has some way to go before I happily reach for the VR rather than my monitors.

You don’t need to run it at 30 FPS, I get about 18 fps in busy areas and it’s smooth, the only card I’ve seen get c 30 FPS is a 3090 on youtube by flight sim guy.

I have a 1080ti but paired with a 5800x.

There are a number of schools of thought with regard how to supersample in vr, I use a q2 and follow tony tnt thread which keeps sampling at at 1.1 in oculus app and super samples in OTT at c1.6. I also reduce view to 0.85 on horizontal and vertical axis to help frame rate and have had some success with asw at 18hz. I set render in the sim at 70 with a mixture of medium and high settings and get a pretty good experience.

I was on 457.3 driver but recently switched to 466 which seems to be working well.

The only thing I can think might be holding you back is the cpu?

If you need any further detail on settings let me know.

The OP is using G2 not Q2 - two different headsets with different resolutions/requirements.
With G2 and motion reprojection ON you can go as low as 20fps but only in 60Hz mode (flickering, motion artifacts).
Anyway, it still doesn’t quarantee that you’ll be able to always keep it at 20fps. If you set your resolution/in game settings too high and then go to photogrammetric Paris - forget it with anything else than 3080…:slight_smile:

In my experience it works fine with my GTX 1660 Super and i7-7700k

The only thing I have to thank MSFS 2020 for is that it made me want more of my X-plane 11. I bought a computer, I7 10700K RTX3070 OC and 32 Gb of ram, and I can fly with almost all the high settings at 40 fps with my Toliss A319 and Zibo 737 with my Quest 2. Maybe someday in a few years, I’ll give Asobo another chance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.