Rolling Cache and other settings disappeared

I just checked, on my xbox x it is there under otions/data/rolling cache.

1 Like

Yes it’s not there . Not even the data used . Just since I updated the beta to the new update.

1 Like

This is what I have under general options data.

This is after 1.23.12.0 update.

1 Like

mine still there hehe

We’re you in the beta and did you update to 1.23.12.0.

Also will not let me remove from quick resume, when I remove on starting sim it is straight back in quick resume. No matter how many times I remove from quick resume it appears again.

You’re missing more than the cache controls, you’re missing the entire data consumption section, too.

1 Like

True, might have to uninstall and reinstall. Pain in the backside because up untill the update 1.23.12.0 everything was great, no problems, no nothing it was sweet.

You haven’t quit it completely from the xbox home menu, menu button, quit? Probably just needs that and full proper console restart.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the only way I ever quit the sim .

So, I uninstalled, opted out of the beta and reinstalled. Everything fine again. So I will wait for tomorrow’s update. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

This situation is seriously strange given how “locked down” the Xbox is.

It’s not like we have the infamous “Community” folder and can fill it with whatever someone comes up with for a mod.

I’d love to know the actual numbers on how many Xbox users installed the beta and stayed with the beta through each version as you did. That sample size would be very interesting.

Monday could be interesting.

2 Likes

I always stay with the beta’s, unless the sim becomes unplayable. The beta was working great for me, any problems I had before it disappeared . I was getting the a320 freezing on approach to landing, yet no problems with smaller planes. So I was happy with beta, until the update.

Hi,

Since the new update I no longer have access to all the data options, I can no longer adjust the cache etc.

The game is ugly now, the ground is blurry, then becomes sharp and becomes blurred again, the trees appear and disappear… and I’m not talking about the photogrammetry…

What happened?

Is there a solution to have all the options again?

1 Like

You may want to join the lengthy discussion here:

1 Like

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cache-delete-option-no-longer-available/501048/14

1 Like

Sadly this didn’t work for me.

We are currently investigating this bug (popped up in Sim Update 8 release), here is the thread report: Rolling Cache and other settings disappeared

1 Like

Hi, now that your thread has been consolidated with this one and we can see when posts were made I am almost entirely certain the prior update, 1.23.12.0 also had the cache option removed, but we had very little time with it, so .13.0 gets blamed for things we didn’t notice in .12.0.

Why was it removed? I don’t know for sure but I have a theory. Cache size and turning cache on and off is not a common thing in console games. Add to that the simple fact that these days rolling cache has little to no impact on performance at all, and it only served to take up disk space. It really is a mystery why it is even still an option on PC, and most seem to be getting identical or better results with it turned off.

Rolling cache and data options also seem to have been removed from the Cloud version of the sim, so maybe that is the source of the removal. I don’t know. It makes little sense to run a rolling cache on a Cloud version of a game, it would just take up space on the server side.

So, I think removing it makes some sense, as it could now cause more problems than it is worth (reminders to, “Delete your rolling cache” after every SU). If Asobo sets it to what they consider optimal settings, it works like the rest of the XBOX version of the sim. They handle the performance settings, not the consumer.

That’s my theory for now.

As for the game being ugly and blurry, that doesn’t seem to be a common issue and you may want to post some pictures or a more detailed description of your issue. Although there does seem to be some kind of issue with some European photogrammetry cities on Xbox, and that may or may not have to do with these updates, as that issue also seems to predate SU8. It could very likely be on the server side and have nothing to do with the updates. But you said your issue doesn’t seem to have anything to do with photogrammetry.

It is common to assume every issue you notice after an update is related to the update, but time and again, some issues predate updates and people just don’t notice them until they start looking for issues after a new update is released.

And the rolling cache? I have to imagine having the option was simply causing more problems on Xbox than it was solving. I am not at all surprised it has been removed from the console version. I am just surprised it has gone unmentioned (to my knowledge) by the devs.

Sigh… when all else fails on Xbox, you can always try a reinstall.

1 Like