Rolling Cache file causing FPS drop over time - Delete and Rebuild

I have been experiencing FPS drops again on flights over an hour and a half. My FPS went from 45 to 12 pretty quickly when beginning my descent. I cam across this suggestion and it worked.

“The temp fix for the memory leak is as follows. Settings/options. Select data tab. Scroll down to rolling cache. Delete any rolling cache file you have stored. Disable, then re-enable your rolling cache. Set size of rolling cache allocation to 32gb.”

After doing this my FPS went right back up to 40-45 and the sim was smooth again. I was able to complete my flight and land in the PMDG 737-700 with no issues.

Topic moved into Community Support to assist others that may have this issue. Tagged: #fps #rolling-cache #advice

Consider turning rolling cache off completely. I did it months ago and the sim runs fine with no FPS drops over time, even on a lowly 50Mbps internet connection.

4 Likes

Is 50mps considered lowly for msfs (Xbox x)? Think mine’s 37 minimum, 70 ish max.

Be good to know as where i see slow server (post apocalypse building taking too long to turn to recgnisable) etc) am i sometimes seeing struggling bandwidth my end…

If you have 32GB or more ram consider an 8GB rolling cache on ramdisk, this always cleans itself on PC shutdown. Exclusively in gliders I circle a lot so consider the cache essential but if you’re strictly an A to B in-cockpit flyer then I can’t really see much point in having one at all.

PS. 50Mbps internet is plenty for MSFS, the only time you might need more is zoomed out using multiple monitors while flying at high speed.

2 Likes

I have a very fast computer built for flight Sim 2020 and I do have gig a bit internet. But I run multi monitors. I did end up turning off the rolling cash and it seems to be a lot more stable now.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to see one single iota of performance gains with rolling cache. Turn it off.

I had come to find out delete and rebuild of the Rolling Cache on my Xbox was stacking and filling up my “Reserved Space” under the Flight Simulator installation.

It was sitting at 300+gigs at one point.

I think the problem was, if you set Rolling Cache over the recommended 16gb (I had it at 72gb at one point), something freaks out and it starts to stack.

Cleared that all out, did a fresh install and I now keep my Rolling Cache at 16gb. Hasn’t had a problem since.

Ok. Been getting bad fps, which is unusual. Never usually this bad.

I been keeping rolling cache on, because my thought is since I do fly to and from the same area often, instead of having to download all the photogrammetry stuff all the time, it can just keep it in the cache and load it up again.

Could then cache be causing the low(er) fps I’ve been experiencing? Maybe. I’ll try with it off.

I just cleared the rolling cache and turned it off. First stutter free landing at a big airport since I can remember. I have a pretty fast internet connection, so maybe that makes this possible.

It probably goes something like - fast drives/ram slow internet keep it on, slow drives/ram fast internet turn it off.

Perhaps, but I also have a reasonably fast PC with fast drive/RAM. I just think the rolling cache is buggy.

It works great on an 8GB (of 32) ramdisk

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Tbh as a glider fan I find I need it because I’m forever circling, after the first lap there’s no more textures popping in and out (I also have precaching disabled). However if I was simply an A to B flyer I probably would disable the ram cache to keep all 32GB of ram available for the other apps I have installed.

Also if you do use a ramdisk RC I suggest not letting it save an image at system shutdown, this keeps it fresh and therefore helps avoid issues caused by conflicting data e.g. after installing addons, changing settings etc.