Rolling cache size

Hi,
What Rolling cache size you have on your PC or Xbox X/S please?
Does bigger size affect overall experience?

Thank you.

Not really, but it does take up space on your harddrive.

I have it set at 4gb. I had it set at 20gb but found that the sim performance suffered for some reason. This is on the XBX.

3.8GB on a 4GB RAMDisk.

It works great and stutter free while flying. I’ve tried bigger but it doesn’t improve load times on an area already cached. The use of a RAMDisk is a hang over from the fix I used when SU5 caused scenery to reload when changing view direction and I’ve just kept it as it is still super smooth.

On the pc , I’m at zero . On my Xbox’s both 40 gb on the s and the x . Works good for me .

Really 40 GB?

40 GB here on an SSD (PC) and no issues.

The devs had stated they run 32GB, but that was quite some time ago. There may be a new recommendation given all the updates.

1 Like

I have 100GB on a separate 6TB hdd. No problems.

Yep I think it works pretty solid at that number . At least for me . I own all the platforms so I know what works best .

Has anyone tried flying one area consistently, and then turning off the Bing feed? I tried it about a year ago to see if I could keep a favourite area’s photo Scenery in reserve. Did not work then, never thought of trying it again until seeing this thread today.

I thought that was what manual cache is for? :wink:

So did I. That is why it was disappointing when it did not work a year ago. I wanted to save an area incase Bing ever downgraded the image!

200 GB ssd. No issues

1 Like

I have read in these forums that it was suggested by an Asobo Dev that no real benefit would be seen running more than 8Gb.

I had no cache at all for a pretty long time and didn’t see any issues.*
Experimented with a RamDrive cache after SU5 and it seems to help reduce the pop-in caused by the borked culling. (Now fixed with a patch, works better. I sometimes turn the RamDrive on,.sometimes I forget, I see no real difference)**

/* - I have a pretty solid internet connection with a lot of bandwidth + 64Gb Ram so it might not be as critical for me.

I’ve not used it for 6-7 months at least, with good bandwidth I didn’t see any benefits with it myself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.