RTX 4090 and MSFS2020 my experience on the PIMAX 8KX

pimaxXR Runtime (not steamVR!) no OpenXR toolkit, PP off, Smartsmooth off , Pitool 1.25, 90Hz, DLSS Performance
All Settings Ultra. but medium shadows, LOD 200-300

Small FOV 59-64 FPS
Normal FOV 49-55 FPS

10850k@5.0GHz, 32gb@3800 16c, GB 4090 Gaming OC - stock (95% GPU Load)
————-
You can also use Pitool 1.0 and TAA@130, looks a little bit better, but only 30-40FPS
(small stutters on the ground, if you flight fast and very deep and look to the side.)

Ahh, and i dont use Photogrametrie, only Bing Maps with Autogen and Landmark Adds.
Don’t like that melted lead landscape.

2 Likes

Hey All,

I have revisited my MSFS2020/PIMAX setup and now have the best settings for my computer so that I am getting an FPS of 45-50 during Scattered Clouds.

To review my settings -

Computer
ASUS Z790-P motherboard (Hyperthreading and Visualizations still turned on)
Intel i9-13900KF Turbo’d to 5.5mhz
Nvidia RTX 4090 (no OC)(driver 527.56 GRD)(GFE - ON)
RAM Gskill Ripjaws 64GB running at 4800mhz (could use XMP and get 5600)
Nvme drive for MSFS2020 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Main Monitor Vizio 80" 4K TV (60mhz refresh rate)(HDMI connection)
PIMAX 8KX ((headset version 2075)(DPort 1.4)(Optical cable)(Firmware .299)
USB 3.2 connections
Windows 11 64-bit (HAGS - OFF, Game Bar - OFF)

MSFS2020 -
All settings on Ultra or highest
TLOD - 400 OLOD - 200
Nvidia Low Latency (On+Boost)
DLSS set to QUALITY
Display Cache is set to OFF and deleted the file
AI (Ground Workers/Vehicles, Car Traffic, Ferries/Ships) set to 70%
Birds and Animals, etc set to 100%
DirectX 12 (beta)
Photogrammetry turned ON

Pimax Client -
Version 1.7.0.2
90Hz
Render Quality set to 1.0
Parallel Projection is set to OFF
Fix Foviated Rendering is set to OFF
Smart Smoothing is set to OFF
Vertical Sync is set to CLOSE
Hidden Area Mask is set to ON
Brightness and Contrast are at ZERO

Pimax XR -
Version 0.2.8

OpenXR Toolkit -
Version 1.2.3
CAS with sharpening set to 100%

Again, with these settings and hardware I am getting 45-50FPS with scattered clouds in the Seattle area KTIW - 74S. The clarity and sharpness in the headset of the panels and out the window views is beautiful. I also have Seafront Software installed and the World Freighters addon (the addon might be titled differently)

I hope this helps anyone looking for what might be possible with the right hardware and software for their best MSFS2020 experience.

1 Like

You list your CPU as “Intel i9-13900KF (no OC)” but what frequency are all your cores running at? Surely some sort of Turbo boost.

Here is the data from cpu-z and cpuid hwmonitor
Yes the CPU is Turbo’d to 5.5mhz from 3.0mhz

Thanks

If you are getting 45-50fps, definitley lock to 45 (eg with Rivatuner). Smoothest option by far if you have a 90hz HMD.

1 Like

Hi,
can you post your settings which you are using at least?

“Controll21”…….Why so rude? He’s just trying to help you. Grow up mate!:+1:

2 Likes

Hey,

Everything on Ultra or highest…PIMAX 8KX settings listed above and some changes to lens position for my eyesight…PIMAX XR 0.2.8 (non-SteamVR)…OpenXR Toolkit 1.2.3 (Using CAS and 100% sharpening)
the only thing I have adjusted in MSFS2020 is TLOD between 300-400 (if on 300 I get around 45 FPS and at 400 I get around 37 FPS)
In MSFS2020 I also have DLSS running at Quality, AMD Fidelity Sharpening slider at 100 and world scale at 100,reprojection mode at Depth, and Nvidia Reflex Low Latency ON+Boost
In MSFS2020 I do have Grass & Bushes set to OFF

Let me know if you want other info.

Hello, how much do you get when you out TLOD - 200? Thank you

Here is my TLOD at 200 FPS avg is 47, low is 40 ish, high is 50

but I am using traffic settings and overall video quality that is at the highest or near highest …so your mileage may vary.

in Traffic options of MSFS2020
Airport Vehicle Density is set to 40
Ground Aircraft Density is set to Zero (I use FSLTL, but not running for this test)
Worker Density is set to 20
Leisure Boats is set to 40
Road Vehicles set to 70
Ships and Ferries set to 40
Fauna Density set to 70

AI and Multiplayer Traffic Detail is set to OFF, OFF, OFF and ULTRA

I have my Cache turned off in DATA and the file is deleted from my SSD Nvme drive

I am using DLSS set to Quality and AMD Sharpening set to 100 and also CAS and Sharpening set to 100 in OpenXR Toolkit
Also, I do now have my system set to BIOS Hyperthreading set to Disable, (I may turn this back on as I saw no difference in FPS with it OFF compared to ON).

Hope this helps ya

Hi,
i’ve small stutterings by using these settings. And the FPS are nearly 40fps. The stutterings are bigger when raising clouds settings. What i’m doing wrong?

Using
OpenXR Toolkit CAS 100, rest default
PimaxXR newest Version

Pimax Toolkit, newest version and same settings as you using

i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
32GB Ram
Pimax 8kX
RTX 4090

Here are my Settings.

Screenshot_3

Only two things I see are the CPU is slower than the one I use (it is over clocked on my system to 5.5mhz) and the Parallel Projection is set OFF in PIMAX software (mine is ON). Also did you have Hyperthreading ON or OFF in your BIOS (mine is now OFF), but I saw very little difference in the performance of MSFS2020 so I might turn it back on as other programs make use of it. One other thing not listed on my specs is that I am using the Optical 6m cable for Display Port 1.4 connection to the headset…if you are still using the standard cable that came with the PIMAX 8KX you could try this to see if it helps. However, I would be wary of spending any extra money on changes unless you know that it would work for you or that you could return the product if it does not help.
My PIMAX 8KX is also the 2075 version not the 2076 (mine is not capable of 120hz just 110hz up sampling)…I don’t know what difference the model of headset has on performance…
I would also recommend turning OFF Grass and Bushes in MSFS2020 as it does not make the appearance of airfields that much better and does effect CPU performance a little.

My MSFS2020 does have an almost imperceptible stutter (not really noticeable unless you look closely) and when I turn my head 90 degrees left/right, there is a slight delay to the graphics and then it is gone the next time I turn my head…so this might be a caching issue.

Don’t see much else to comment on for you…so hope this helps a little.

Hi, thx for the fast reply. Ich will test these things out.

1 Like

I am starting to wonder if all of this stutter comes from internet connectivity issues and/or interaction with the cloud-based server, rather than from graphics cards and processors. I have seen once or twice my graphics in VR quickly switch from crisp and clear with great frame rates to melted buildings for a few seconds, blurryness, poor framerates/stuttering and then snap back to crystal clear with good performance. I have noticed lag spikes in my wifi that seem like they may correspond to the lag/stutter in MSFS. Their frequency seems to be similar. Or maybe it is the server sending us data that causes all the stuttering, because for two years now, my framerates have been hit or miss good/bad all over the map. Extreme inconsistency, no matter the graphics settings.

2 Likes

If you run the sim offline does the stuttering go away? Mine still stutters in offline mode just a little…and sometimes it seems that programs are running in the background doing things, like McAfee virus scan or when it checks for junk files and such…it could be we will never have a completely stutter free experience as long as it runs in Windows with all the bloat that exists within.

Not, sure. Never thought to try it :p. I’ll give it a shot and see. I didn’t know you could run it offline. You mean disconnect the internet and the sim will load it on Steam anyway? Or just put the in-sim settings to offline?

If you turn off Multiplayer in the MSFS2020 settings it will (I think) put you in offline mode. Experiment with it.

@Controll21 if you like natural colors, try:

All - Contrast + 1 or 2, Brightness -2
Red - C+1, B-2
Blue C +1 , B-1
Green C +1, B-1

or for Bonbon oled like

All - Contrast +2, Bright -2 or -3
Red - C +2, B -3
Green - C +1, B-3
Blue - C +2, B -3

:wink:

1 Like

I don’t want to hijack this thread but equally, I don’t want to create a new ‘Which Headset is better’ etc.

However, I cannot find a definitive ‘answer’ or general consensus as to which is to go to.

The Varjo Aero at £2k is too much. I think the Reverb G2 is now past it but the Meta Pro, which can be had for around £1000 seems good.

The 8KX seems difficult to get secondhand, but around £1000 also seems achievable.

I’m running a

5800X3D
32GB 3600Mhz

Nothing OC

I used to be ok getting decent FPS in 2D mode with a 2080ti so I suspect I really should be making the most of the 4090, by going VR.

For ref. Tried a quest 2 on the 2080ti and found the experience awful, even in not-so-dense areas with no Ai

Hey,

Several good headsets are available now and a few more coming in the next year or two…PIMAX have the 5K Super and the 8KX and the Crystal and not out yet the 12K.
All of these are good headsets with the drawback being the clarity or image and the size of the viewable space. You also have the Oculus G2 and Vive Pro. Each of these would run just fine on the RTX 4090 with the CPU possibly being the bottle neck for FPS. My setup of the RTX 4090 and intel i9-13900KF works well and gives my very good quality image in VR with just a few hesitations or stutters, but mostly smooth 35-50 FPS with all setting on MAX in MSFS2020 and PIMAX software on Normal with Parallel reprojection on. I have not used the other PIMAX sets nor the Oculus. But I did use an initial HTC Vive 1.0 headset and until I moved to PIMAX 4K I was very happy with the VR experience. Since moving to PIMAX I will not go back to another maker until PIMAX sends me a lemon. So far I have not experienced the troubles others have with their PIMAX sets. Knock on wood. So I am obviously biased on PIMAX and am looking forward to the 12K as my next VR set. But I will wait for reviews of this unit with a RTX 4090 before making the plunge to buy.
Look on the interweb for videos that show how to setup Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia Inspector as well as ISLC and MSFS2020 settings for the best experience you can get. I know that sometimes this help is hit or miss as we all seem to have differing setups and not exactly what you or I have…so a little testing is needed for the best options…good luck.

2 Likes