RTX 4090 performance with VR (Ryzen 5900X / Reverb G2)

A-a-a-a-a-nd it started working again. I updated to SU11 beta, loaded and got 20fps no MR again… Restarted and boom - suddenly I get 45 fps locked MR !!! W…T…F… It’s voodoo, I tell you… I loaded 737, same setup as before - and flying around Manhattan I got 31 fps locked all the time, often going to 45fps a large percentage of the time. I have never seen 45MR anywhere with any plane ever! I also tried stock A320 - solid 45 MR locked. BAck to 737 - 31 fps, often 45 fps if things are calmer. I changed several weather presets etc. - same thing, amazing performance. There was some scenery stutter, but it was much better when I set 30 locked MR at OpenXR Toolkit. I guess that’s because it wasn’t jumping 30 to 45 all the time. I did a few landings and fps never got below 30. OXRTK showed “CPU Overhead” at 20-30% all the time. Landed in the storm setup - no problem.

I did see MR artifacts on the runway - on the ground fast moving land does significant MR artifacts even at 45fps. But otherwise no noticeable MR artifacts in flight. Extremely smooth cockpit and everything is super sharp.

I wonder now if it’s going to be a lottery again, or will it be stable? Time will tell. On top of things I’m running my Motion Rig and OXRMC (motion compensation layer), immersive VoiceAttack profile, and MobiFlight for controls etc. All those things are solid adn don’t affect performance, other than taking a bit of CPU, though I launch them with affinity set to cores unused by MSFS.

One side note about DLSS3: The “frame generation” option is only there for PC, not for VR. Somehow it’s greyed out for me in PC, I’m curious why. But anyway, it’s not available for VR, as expected. There is a new Nvidia latency setting, which I set to “ON+Boost”, and it is available for VR.

Not really. It’s a lottery. Either I get 20 fps and nothing works, or I get brilliant 45 fps MR locked (falling to 30fps sometimes) and everything is perfect. So far I don’t know what causes it to get either way. If I’m at 20fps nothing fixes that, including restarting flight, restarting VR, closing WMR and restarting etc. Throughout my trials my settings stay the same basically. It’s not the settings that do that.

I could do it on my 3080, but I can’t stand 40 fps without MR, it’s too stuttery for me.

Well, when it works, as I just wrote, I get up to 45 fps MR (737, JFK, heavy weather with Ultra clouds!) with 100% TAA and 100% OXRTK and 100% OpenXR Dev scaling. So fully native resolution. Even added 70% FSR sharpening just for fun. This was an amazing experience. But it’s such a crapshoot so far that it remains an open question why do I get such a lottery… I’ll keep you posted if it holds steady with SU11. All I can say is that if I get the same performance I just experienced all the time, I’ll be one happy camper.

BTW I suggest you lower your “texture resolution”. There is a significant fps hit for “high” and especially “ultra” while on 3080 and 80% OXRTK I could not tell the difference between Medium and High/Ultra. I really couldn’t. No I set it to High just because at 100% everything the difference might be visible, though I haven’t tested it.

When I tested it on 3080 it wasn’t as dramatic, but there was a definite performance hit with 8x8, so I keep it on 4x4. I could not see any difference anyway. But anisotropic filterring at 16X is needed. No significant fps hit, but runway markings at distance etc. get really blurred if it’s lower.

2 Likes