RTX 4090 performance with VR (Ryzen 5900X / Reverb G2)

Thanks very much for mentioning your benchmarking prog - I just downloaded and ran it on my PC (excellent overall results, I’m happy to say) and it pointed out my SSD running FS has a speed issue at just 37%. Would never have realised.

Just one question. Why do you stay on MR while 45+ VR fps all native 100% TAA with no dlss are no problem with the 4090? Its so smooth to me, I dont miss anything right now (ok, a varjo could be nice…).

I reset all tweaks in oxr toolkit too, use it only for sunglasses :sunglasses: :+1: and screenshots right now.

1 Like

Well, I can’t stand 45-50 fps without MR. I looks so jittery. It’s probably very individual. I also can’t stand 60Hz while many don’t notice a problem. To me the flicker is unbearable. Your brain is doing the MR basically :slight_smile: My brain sees more detail I guess or just refuses to do MR properly, so there’s no comparison for me: MR is so smooth at 30 and 45, while disabled MR at 45-50 is a no-go.

Just did another flight BTW - performance holds, no problems anymore. However I wish I could get rid of frequent scenery-related stutters, especially close to the ground. It’s never perfectly smooth because of that, which is very annoying. Every few seconds there is a small stutter, especially noticeable on the background of otherwise perfectly smooth flight.

3 Likes

NVidia should make all launch-day sales in-store only. That’ll solve the problem. People who absolutely can’t wait will drive as long as they need to. And the next day, there will be a much smaller market for scalpers.

1 Like

I’m the same as you regarding fps. I find the game disgusting to play without MR enabled as it makes moving around the cockpit stuttery, with ghosting instruments, and lining up on the runway becomes a juddery mess.

I recently bought Firewatch on Steam, an excellent walking simulator adventure type game, and it averaged about 65 to 68 fps on my G2 at 3100 x 3100 per eye. It looked beautiful but the stutter made it unplayable to me. Fortunately Steam’s motion smoothing is great, and locked it to 45fps. Because of the slow paced nature of the game, I couldn’t even perceive motion smoothing was on.

I wish I could say the same for MSFS, I definitely notice the wobbly wateryness sometimes of MR.

Interestingly my performance was best in SU8, where I could reliably lock MR at 30 fps and it never dipped below and looked great. SU9 bought a large regression, necessitating I drop my Terrain LOD to 125, and SU10 never recovered it.

I’m still in DirectX11 as it runs smoother for me, and I can’t stand DLLS as even on quality it looks blurry, so sticking with the OpenXRToolkit and FSR for now.

I’ve just preordered a Quest Pro, but I’ll likely get the 4090 too around Christmas.

Am I right in thinking you had it working on an 850 watt PSU until you dropped the 1200 watt in?
My PSU is an 850 watt Corsair and if it works I’d rather just use that and undervolt and slightly underclock the 4090.

My 3090 is undervolted to run at 800mv and 1720 Mhz. It still benches on Timespy within about 5 percent of what I get without undervolting and underclocking, but it’s so much quieter.

I’d rather trade 5 percent performance for 20 percent noise and power reduction so I could probably run a 4090 ok with my existing 850 watt maybe…

I have a Corsair RM850X PSU, which is the minimum recommended wattage for my Asus Tuf OC RTX4090. Interestingly, Hardware Unboxed used the same PSU for all their benchmark tests of the Founders Edition 4090 and it worked flawlessly. Some board partners are recommending 1000 watt PSUs for some of their range, but you only need it for overclocking, or perhaps with high current draw CPUs. It turns out that the 4090 draws the same or slightly less than the 3090ti, which had a recommended PSU of 750 watts, so you should be fine.

Hardware Unboxed RTX 4090 Review

See system specs at the start, and specific mention of the Corsair RM850X PSU @ the 30.45 mark.

1 Like

I just checked mine, it’s also Corsair an 850W HX850 Platinum which I hope is the pretty much the same as yours and GN. If it’s good enough for Steve it should be good enough for me.

That’s good to know I don’t need to mess around with installing a new PSU. My flat screen ‘monitor’ is a 70inch 4K TV running at 60 Hz, and I currently use a Reverb G2 for VR at 90hz, although I’ve preorded a Quest Pro with the option to go to 72Hz. I preferred 72Hz to 90 Hz on my Quest 2 as visual quality matters more to me than refresh rates and I can crank the resolution up a bit more.

But if the headset only needs to get 60 fps on my TV and 72 fps on my Quest Pro or 36 fps for MR I will just undervolt and underclock it slightly.

1 Like

Finally got to try mine. OMG. Dream came true. My G2 is finally running at full resolution without DLSS. I even cranked up several settings and it was still super smooth. Gone are the days of endless tweaking and trepidation flying into New York.

I checked the stats afterwards. My 4090 (same card as OP) was running only at 65% load and below 300W, which was even less power consumption than my old 3080.

2 Likes

My memory played tricks on me, it wasn’t Gamers Nexus that used the Corsair 850 watt PSU it was Hardware Unboxed. I have given a link to their review and a timestamp where they mention the PSU specifically in their conclusions. I’ve edited my post to correct this fact. Same outcome though, it worked fine with the 4090.

1 Like

The same, Im on 3090 but MR is obligatory, only for 90 fps could be good when you can turn off MR but its impossible with MSFS yet.

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct. It was working OK with 850W, with only 3 of 4 PCIe connectors plugged into the GPU splitter cable. No need to undervolt. Default BIOS without bumping up power and temp tolerances is around 450W for most of these cards, mine included. But now wiht 1250W I bumped up everything to the max. I tried OC Scanner’s curve, and manual OC - all I got with overclocking is around 3% boost of actual performance. Max power I’ve seen is ~560W although the OC BIOS lets the GPU draw up to 600W. Temps got at 84C max, but normally under the full load were around 74C. So overclocking isn’t really very productive, thought I’ll take free 3% boost of course. I’ll wait for some videos or articles about meaningful overclocking of this GPU. I couldn’t find anything useful yet and I don’t want to raise the voltage or do anything stupid until I know what I’m doing.

Yes, exactly. That’s a sight to behold. Finally what G2 can deliver is coming through. I only wish I could get rid of random scenery stutters every few seconds. Do you have those too? It’s like everything is butter-smooth, and if you are looking ahead you may even miss the stutters, but if you look sideways on a close scenery, flying low, every few seconds there are stutters that either look like missing frames, or the “'rubberband” effect, like frames slowing down and speeding up, despite the fact that fps is high and otherwise everything is very smooth…

I also tried DX12 - not much difference, but a bit less performance I think. I tried DLSS again, including a new option of DLSS / DLAA. DLSS is still not sharp with ghosting. Why does it look almost like native 4K in other games, but so much worse in MSFS? DLAA looks sharper but still has ghosting and performance is about the same as TAA, which is much sharper and has no ghosting with the similar performance. Also tried HAGS on - didn’t see much difference in performance or stutters. I still want to find some magic setting that gets rid of the stutters. Maybe they are unavoidable in a dense area like NY. But they shouldn’t be on my system…

1 Like

Which CPU? Im on very good XFX 850W, Id like to buy 1200W for 4090 but your answer surprised me!

Funny, I was also on XFX 850W. BTW there is a good resource where you can look up most PSUs and figure out good and bad options, what to buy and what to avoid. I found a gold (one of the best in the Mid-Tier range) Cooler Master 1250W PSU for $228CAD which looked like a good option. So far so good. I didn’t really want to pay $400+ for a top tier PSU.

1 Like

What? I was thinking about the same (I suppose) :sweat_smile: - Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 1250W 80+ Gold . Now Im waiting for i9 13900K at least these will be available because 4090 I haven’t been able to buy yet, the next delivery is supposed to be on 25.10.

Ryzen 5800X3D. It’s only a 105w CPU. You can plug all 4 PCI-e cables in and OC the 4090 card to a 132% power target, or plug in only 3 cables and be limited to 100%. I’m not really into overclocking, so I will just leave well enough alone for now, especially as I’m buying a new 43" 4K 144Hz G-sync monitor to replace my 32" 1440p 60Hz one.

1 Like

Yes, exactly that model :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why would they do that? They want to sell cards, not please people who can’t buy on day one because of demand. They’re a business.

absolutely right, only that they have no interest in it. What we see again is part of their show.

Ah that’s ok, I love Hardware Unboxed, Steve and Tim are so thorough, if either of them thinks a Corsair 850 is good enough then I’m confident that is correct.

1 Like

Easy for you to say when you live 12 miles from a Microcenter. I can’t stand the scalpers either, but get real.

1 Like