Rudder recentering while applying full rudder

Hey, I’ve seen post about this earlier, wondering if anyone has a fix to the issue.

Started encountering this a few days ago mid flight, take-off went smoothly without problems, same thing for the flight itself (A320neo, FBW). While approaching, started feeling something off with the rudder, but ignored it as it was a heavy cross-wind landing. Right after touchdown, tried keeping the aircraft centered by applying rudder, but it simply shot off the runway.

After I managed to stop, tried viewing the issue outside of the aircraft, and while moving the rudder (TFRP rubber pedals) it worked, but when I stopped moving the rudder, it automatically re-centered every time. Checked for rudder assistance, off, went into control inputs, MSFS seems to register the input without problem. Still when I tried it while just jumping straight to a take-off, it kept re-centering. Tried re-installing drivers, switchign rudder controls from the pedals to my joystick (TM TCA Airbus), still happening. Does anyone have any clue to the reason behing this, or a fix to stop it from happening?

Got the Steam version, incase anyone is wondering.

I have the microsoft store version of MSFS and use TRFP Pedals as well. I see the same behaviour since the nordics world update.

2 Likes

As much as it sucks, nice to know I’m not the only one. Might not have to start looking at issues in my setup

I am seeing the same thing here… can take off and fly but once i land - i cannot keep plane on runway as rudder goes crazy. I too once stopped turn rudder full left or full right and hold in that position - the rudder auto centers… this is not plane specific either. I removed any rudder assignments with exception of the device I want to control rudder. I even made a keyboard combo to turn auto rudder off - no luck. Removed that key combo and remapped it to auto rudder toggle - in an attempt to see if that turns it off - again no luck.

I thought perhaps this was an issue with my Thrustmaster Airbus edition stick and purchased the Logitech rudder pedals… issue happens exactly the same way with both devices.

I am using the MS Store version.

3 Likes

I am using the Airbus edition joystick. If I twist the stick to the left and hold it in that position - the rudder moves left initially but then despite my holding the twist to the left - the rudder recenters anyway. Same goes if I twist the joystick to the right. Under Control Options - when I search on “rudder” - the only setting I have is Rudder Axis with value of “Joystick R - Axis Z”. In the options when i hold the twist to the left, the white bar goes left all the way off and stays there until i let go of the joystick - then the bar is at center… if i twist and hold to the right the white bar fills and stays there until i left go. The Thrustmaster Windows utility shows same correct behavior. Not sure why in FS the rudder keeps centering. Looking for help to stop this.

2 Likes

Check your Assist settings, make sure Auto-Rudder is switched off.

3 Likes

I have acquired Logitech Rudder pedals and they are doing the same thing as the Thrustmaster stick. No matter what i do - the rudders will not stay left or stay right when held in that position. They always attempt to recenter… even twitch a bit… the Auto Rudder mapping is blank across all input devices. The only other place where I see auto rudder is under Assistance Options-> Piloting->Take-Off Auto-Rudder is set to yes… also note that this is after free flying and then upon landing this happens. I did a flight that started an hangar, taxing and steering w rudder down taxiway to runway - no problem. Land on the ground and this nonsense happens…

3 Likes

you need to check all other rudder assingments.
and maybe its that autorudder thing, easy to test yourself.

I have removed every entry - keyboard or otherwise - related to rudder control with the exception of the rudder Z axis itself on the joystick…I even set a keyboard combo to toggle auto rudder to try that in an attempt to turn it off. No luck…

Removed assists related to piloting - no luck…

Some duplicate threads across the board were consolidated into this conversation.

there are different options for rudder assignment.
it has to be someting simple, it works ok for practically everyone.

Same here!

Hi
I have the same problem with rudder. It becames crazy specialy after landing and I have to quit or the plane ( every plane) get out of runway.
How may I fix it?
Were may I switch off auto-rudder (sorry I am a beginner) as sugested by Neo4316 ?
Thanks

3 Likes

It’s inside the Assistance Options. It’s just better to set everything to Hard/True to Life to turn off every single assist in the sim.

3 Likes

Much improved situation once I have removed some of the assistance options. Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

I have logitech rudder system and I am not experiencing that issue. I assume you realize that rudder input must be maintained during application, unlike yoke input which is returned to center once desired bank angle is achieved. If, however, you mean that the rudders center by themselves while still being applied then it seems to imply that the input signal being sent by your controller (rudder pedals) is cutting out prematurely. I wouldn’t be surprised if this just started happening after SU5, but the fact that this issue precedes that is indeed puzzling. I have tried numerous tests with several different aircraft after reading your posts but am unable to duplicate your issue.

I had this behavior too, but it was because rudder was configure with my actual rudder pedals and my Joystick Z axis at the same time (some old remaining configuration that was never causing any issue until today).

I only removed the association with my joystick Z axis and the rudder is working like a charm now.

Maybe it’s not relevant with what you’re experiencing though.

1 Like

The best way I can describe what I was experiencing was like the controller (Joystick or rudder pedals themselves) were fighting with the AI assists. I would apply and hold full rudder to the left or to the right yet the software would recenter the rudder. Once I went into the flight assists area (which was set to Easy) and made it more “realistic” - the whole issue disappeared.

1 Like

This happened to me on the previous update and again on the last one. For the life of me I could not remember what I did to fix it though. I went through all the troubleshooting steps others had done with no success.

Like others - the control options screen showed full deflection (and staying) for the rudder - but the actual behavior was full deflection then even with the rudders full right or left it would fairly quickly go back centered. I had to pump the rudder to get them to work.

Then I remembered:

1. Disconnect my rudder from the PC
2. Shut down PC
3. Start up PC
4. Re-connect rudder

My Config:
KBSim VKBSim Gladiator (Main joystick)
KBSim VKBSim Black Box Rudder (Rudder axis only)
Cyborg 3D USB Joystick (Only used for a few buttons and throttle)
X-Box Controller (Drone control)
Double check all configs to verity no overlaps/duplicates

At least for me this did the trick for both of the last big updates. And I’ve made a note to do it for the next one. I would suggest all the rest of the suggestions as well - make sure you have Modern Flight Control, auto throttle not set on etc.

I’ve been having this exact same issue on Xbox off a clean install. Whenever I land at a runway - doesn’t seem to matter which aircraft - the rudder immediately jams and the aircraft becomes uncontrollable. If I switch to external view I can see the rudder sticking over to the right and glitching. You can see it “twitching” as it tries to return to centre.

There can’t be anything wrong with my setup as it’s the absolute default. I’m also a pretty experienced simmer.