Rumors of the RTX 4090, 2x RTX 3090 Performance, Late Q4, 2022

Under the current DX11, it’s unlikely the 4090 would help as MSFS is usually mainthread limited - a CPU bottleneck. However, this could change with further optimizations of DX12.

Remember to get an additional Air Conditioner for your house to cool it and a Back-up Generator for your PC to power it.

2 Likes

Pretty much useless for MSFS unless super ultra 4k mega monitor.

Sim is fine with this gen GPU, it needs higher single core CPU performance.

And that goes for every MSFS there had ever been

OP hits the nail in the head, Jensen just announced the RTX 4090, 2x performance in MSFS for US$1599 (~$1850 for AIB) plus tax. October 12th release.

With the 12900k + 3090 @ 4k, my biggest bottleneck is the CPU with FPS down to ~25 in London Heathrow & Tokyo Haneda, and about 50 FPS in cruise. I was thinking of getting the 13900K but with the 4090 being less extortionate than I thought I might just skip Raptor Lake and get the 4090 instead, and jump ship to Zen 4 X3D next year.

Your CPU will always be the bottleneck, the 4090 won’t change that.

Yes, but for me it’s whether or not I should upgrade to Raptor Lake in October, only to sell up and jump ship to Zen 4 X3D early next year. Also I’m wondering if DLSS 3.0 is going to be a big game changer, if Asobo manages to make the cockpit less blurry with DLSS.

Clearly in the big cities my FPS gets crushed due to CPU bottleneck (according to the dev mode FPS counter) but I don’t frequently fly into big cities. Everywhere else I’m GPU limited, and I do like getting above 60 FPS.

Also here’s the Nvidia presentation slide with “2x performance in MSFS”:

Having a look at Sweetspot GPU RTX 4080 12 GB for MSFS (in German) you will see that the RTX 4080 12 GB will perform around 2x over an RTX 3090 ti.
RTX 4090 will perform only marginally better at almost double the price.
I think this is very good news for us. :+1:

please use the already created thread.

Also, this is Nvidia’s marketing… don’t be fooled. Wait until it’s properly reviewed by a non-Nvidia person. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, thanks, sure 2x is marketing. My intention was to hint at that RTX 4090ti does not seem to perform much better in MSFS than 4080 12GB. But sure, kinda strange.

1 Like

It is a well known fact that the n090s perform about 10% to 20% better than the n080s butcost nearly double the € / $.

Forgot to mention that much of the performance gain is due to DLSS 3.0, which will be exclusive to the 40XX series. The Nvidia trailer shows 3 photogrammetry cities (Paris, San Francisco, Seattle I think) getting double the framerate. But Asobo must fix the blurry cockpits.

DLSS3 is probably H.264-like motion vector compensation.
I believe the core of the technology is a one-frame-future predictive interpolation technique using past and present frames.
Some may recall AMD FruidMotion.
Probably yields results similar to motion reprojection (in VR) or asynchronous time warp.

What we can expect
VR: if it works, it could be a game changer
Expect double the FPS: it will certainly double.
Flight Instruments display: will be smoother.

Could work well.
Shimmer currently locked to 30FPS: it would work in the sense that it would be smooth (60FPS).

What we can’t expect
Half stutters: probably little change.
Flight Instruments Simconnect: Will be the same as now
Sim accuracy: Will remain the same since it is internal to the application

This video is very general. Not sure if they tested with 4K Ultra and high LOD & TLOD and get that over 100 FPS?

1 Like

Here’s a quote from Gamers Nexus, at around 14:30.

“If you have a CPU bottleneck or a GPU bottleneck, you could theoretically resolve both with DLSS 3. Either one of them, not just GPU bottlenecks now”

Both GN and Digital Foundry will be doing deep dive videos on DLSS 3.0, so this would be interesting.

1 Like

Temporal anti-aliasing techniques create a single super-resolution frame from multiple frames in time.
DLSS3 does the opposite: it predicts and produces twice as many frames from multiple frames in the temporal direction.

All of the parts in this description are the bottleneck-relieving parts after the output is already in the frame buffer, and the main thread limitation of MSFS happens before the frame buffer.
The main thread limitation that we are struggling with every day is inherently different from the GPU-matter limitation, and thus requires implementation in the opposite direction of doubling the FPS.

If the application implementation allows for doubling the frame time, the time given to the CPU will be doubled. If stuttering can be eliminated, this would be the way to do it.
Calculate at half the frame limit (30FPS = 33.34ms) and render at exactly the frame limit (16.67ms).
This doubles the time given to the CPU.

2 Likes

So will DLSS 3 only be available from the 40 series or will it also work on things like the 30 series and even 20?

nVidia clearly states in the video that DLSS3 is only for the 40 series, while 30 and 20 are DLSS2.

1 Like

Well I’ve been happy enough with my 2080Ti and although I’m open to getting a 4000 series card, I’ll only do it if there’s a big performance lift. Not worth it otherwise. Had no interest in 3000.

1 Like

I need one!

Darn you Nvidia. I hate myself for loving you. But DLSS3 is a killer feature. Overcoming CPU bottlenecks with advanced frame interpolation in the GPU hardware is a game changer for MSFS!

Going to be juggling finances around the next few weeks I guess. While figuring out how to assure an order for a 4090.

I’m heartbroken EVGA has had enough of Nvidia’s greedy strong arming. The loss of EVGAs quality, service and support to the video card market is pretty huge. Bought every or every other generation video card from EVGA going back to like 2004!!! Only bought Quadro cards from other vendors since EVGA didn’t make those. And Nvidia’s price increases for 4000 series over 3000 series is really, really distasteful. But, if most of their claims for 4000 series and especially DLSS3 turn out to be true, and I suspect they will, at least regarding MSFS, this is a pretty huge generational leap for performance. I don’t like how Nvidia does business, but they do keep pushing performance and features up quite nicely each generation the last few generations!

And, well, there’s going to be tons of bargains for 3000 series cards, at least in the used/refurbished markets for those who find the 4000 series insultingly overpriced.