Save a different Callsign for each aircraft

Instead of editing the ‘official’ files you can make adjustments in the ‘community’ folder. That should then persist though updates too.

If you change the ATC_ID in the aircraft.cfg then that will persist when the aircraft is loaded, as long as you haven’t entered any registration number in the world map.
atc_id = “TL-NBR” ; tail number

The black boxes on other aircraft are because Asobo/Mircosoft are too scared to have others see user callsigns due to abuse, name calling, offensive words etc.

1 Like

Yes, i know that the registration input box must be empty in main menu (world map), because it will overwrite my official aircraft.cfg. This field is always empty, but i don’t get my own individual registration number on some aircraft…! What is wrong?

Is it possible now, the change the premium deluxe aircraft registrations or is it really forever locked, because they dont have a editable aircraft.cfg file?

What do you mean with black box?

I don’t have aircraft in the community folder. Should i copy&paste the official aircraft in it and then edit the aircraft.cfg registration again?

Thanks!

Can we please have the option back to put a registration to one aircraft/livery and save that. So that not ever aircraft/livery has the same registration?

Thank you

You can edit the livery’s Aircraft.cfg file to assign the tail registration number unique to that livery. Then make sure the ATC options in the world map flight plan is blank, and it’ll take the livery’s default tail number.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, that’s really handy!!! :grinning: :+1:

Yeah, I do that for all the livery I downloaded. There’s always inconsistencies with their liveries. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the amazing work livery artists have done. Most of them are very detailed and meticulous with their work.

But more often than not, they always mess up on setting up the aircraft.cfg properly. So I always had to fix it myself by giving it the default tail number registration, the right callsign, the ICAO code, and making sure it has a working Live AI traffic livery to use. etc etc. It’s never a straightforward process for me. Hahahah.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. I’ll check that out. Definitely will do as a workaround.

I just think that how it was done in FSX was super convenient and easy. Maybe they can bring that back in a future update.

Would it be possible to save tail number per plane?

Usually I fly with 4 planes: DR400 (VFR), DA40 (IFR), DA62 (IFR icing conditions) and A320 (IFR commercial) all of them using their real tail numbers.

Not possible… only saves it globally for all so far that I have found

You can save it on the Livery level as well. But you need to edit aircraft.cfg file for it to work.

This is why this is in the wishlist section :slight_smile:

But this option is annoying to do this when you are using mod with a lot of delivery, no ? each time it will erase you change?

1 Like

If you leave the Tail Number in the ATC option as Empty. It will automatically use the one in the Livery aircraft.cfg. So you don’t need to change everytime. You just need to change livery to another airline, and the tail number will follow whichever one the livery is set.

But for example if you are using DA40NGX mod or DA62NG mod (both very good mods by the way) the aircraft config is embedded in the mod so for each release you have to re-edit the aircraft config file, it is possible but not straight forward.

Yeah, that’s why I keep it in the livery level. As long as the livery is not part of the aircraft itself. The sim takes the tail number based on the order of preference. Starting from the top:

1. ATC Option in the sim World Map flight planner.
  2. Livery aircraft.cfg
  3. Aircraft aircraft.cfg

So if you have no Tail number in the ATC option, it will take from the livery. If the livery doesn’t have the tail number, it will take it from the aircraft.

So as long as you have a separate livery, one that is static. Meaning it doesn’t get updated regularly. It doesn’t matter how often you update the aircraft. As long as the livery is separate and untouched, the tail number will stay.

2 Likes

Fully agree with you, but all of this is workaround so this request in the wishlist section to get this functionality in the sim. If you agree please vote on the top :slight_smile:

For those of us flying multiple different planes realistically, it’s a pain to configure livery, callsign, registration, etc every time we fly.

Would be awesome if we could save and easily switch between aircraft profiles similar to what we can do in Volanta, ProjectFly, SimToolKit pro.

For example, I could have a profile for an American Airlines 787, then another profile for the same plane, but using a Delta livery, different registration, etc.

​Hi everyone,

Currently we don’t have a “real” hangar of owned planes.

Each time we choose an aircraft, we have to choose the model, then the livery, then the registration number, the callsign and so on. And it remembers the latest values so we have to update them manually.

What I would like to have is an option that remembers the settings for each aircraft. So when I choose the C-172, it would be “my” C-172, with its livery, its name and so on. When I switch to the A5, it would show me its correct registration number, the latest used livery, and so on.

Even better: it could offer me to save my preferred values as “owned aircraft” or something, so even if I switch to another livery or registration number, I can always return to “my” hangar.

Thanks for reading,

Giorgio

3 Likes

It’s easier said than done though. The problem is that aircraft aren’t really a core function. They’re technically “add-ons” and the way the aircraft parameters can simply be changed using a notepad. It makes it really difficult to standardise them to store values through the main UI.

Especially since the Sim only takes a read-only approach to those add-ons without the ability to write them back natively from within the Sim itself.

From a programmer point of view, I understand perfectly what you are saying. But from a simmer point of view, the fact that “aircraft aren’t a core function” in a flight simulator seems quite hilarious… :wink: