SC F-16 Update Problem

Got an email indicating that JustFlight had an update to SC Designs F-16. I downloaded it and the installed failed and I actually lost my plane. I tried installing the old version and that too failed.

Anyone else run into this problem? I’m on Windows 11 and have the a Microsoft Store version of MSFS installed in my C Drive.

I opens up a support ticket and JustFlight asked me to try to download again and turn off my Anti-Virus, which I did, but it still failed.

I updated mine from the JustFlight website with no problem on Windows 10. I did uninstall the previous version via. control panel before running the installer. Not sure that is necessary but I do that when updating any of my JustFlight aircraft.

I didn’t try to do the uninstall, but JustFlight recommended doing it, but by the time I looked, I guess the installer had already removed it.

I think it may have something to do with names being too long for directories.

My user ID in my PC is my full name and I think that makes the directory path names too long. This is the error message I get while trying to install new version.

Yes this is the dreaded name too long for Windows thing - there are instructions on the JF support site on how to get around this. Not something I can do for you as Just Flight build the installer, but don’t worry, it’s fixable.

1 Like

Maybe I got this wrong, but you stated in your first post, that you have the Marketplace version. In that case I assume you need to wait for the update dropping on Marketplace, as the Just Flight version is a different one, which could explain why it does not find the installtion path it expects.

Recently I also got an mail with update information listing several JF products, even though I did now own all of those by JustFlight but only one. This could be confusing…

Just an assumption, if I understood this wrong, then just ignore my post. :grinning:

In any case, I hope all will be fine soon.

Hi,
I had a similar problem installing the F-16 (bought from JustFlight)
I opened a ticket at their support specifying tha the problem was the path and filename and received the following reply:
Thanks for your ticket.

Yes, that sounds like the likely problem. That its hitting the Windows 10 256 character limit in directories. Any files beyond that limit will not be added/installed.

The best fix for this is to relocate your package folders to a location that is easier to find, a shorter path and updated usercfg.opt to match (therefore won’t run into the 256 character limit)

•Locate your current Official and Community folders (FindPkgTest will give the current location)

FindPkgsTest.exe
https://justflight.sharefile.com/d-scd1241baeb214874baf56325a67ec51e

•Copy and paste both folders to a new prepared location (for example D:\MSFS\Packages) either on the same drive or if you prefer on a different one
•When copying you may see a warning that the new location does not support encryption but you will still be able to “copy without encryption” and that is what you want to do
•Note this will take a while as there is about 80 to 120GB to copy. You will also need enough free space on the drive to hold the files so if it is the same drive then you will temporarily need enough space for 2 full sets of files.
•Once copied locate and open your usercfg.opt file in notepad (findPkgsTest - will locate it and let you click a button to open it for editing)
•At the end of the file there will be an InstalledPackagesPath entry showing the current location in quotes. Edit the path in the quotes to match the new location (in the example above this will be to “D:\MSFS\Packages”)
•Close and save the file
•Run the product (F-16?) installer and install it. It should now work without any problems
•Start up MSFS and check it loads without trying to update anything
•Check the product (F-16?) appears in the aircraft choices
•If all this is working without problems then you can go back to your original Official and Community folders and delete them to free up the old space again

I relocated my Community and Official folders to C:\MSFS\Packages (on the same SSD) and that has solved my problem

2 Likes

I didn’t include FS2020 bought from Microsoft. I confused thing when I said got from Marketplace and didn’t say it was the FS2020 which you purchase the the Micrsoft/xBox store. I was trying to indicate that I did not have the Steam version of FS2020.

I am clarifying that, But my version if the F-16 I did buy from Just Flight.

JustFlight told me that path length limitation existed in Windows 10, but not 11. But maybe they are wrong and there is still a 256 character limitation.

I haven’t check, my email today, But I did everything they recommended and it didn’t fix it. They didn’t asked me to move the Community folder since they don’t think that progblem still exists in Windows 11.

I’ll check to see if the have responded and if not, maybe I will try moving the Community Folder.

but when I originally bought the F-16 I was still on Windows 10 and it installed fine. I think there is something else weird with the install.

They asked me to disable my Anti-Virus with I did and even reboot just in case and it still failed.

Problem fixed. They had me run the file from command prompt and add BROWSE at the end of the command. It then prompted me to browse a location where I wanted to install it. I did it to a temp folder and then copied to Community and the world is all fine again :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Glad to hear, mate!