Scenery Gateway System - World Hub

I really like the idea. Being able to contribute to the enhancement of world POI’s in addition to airports was a core part of my feature request in my OP in this topic.

Was a bit disappointed to find out that the actual version of the gateway system Asobo is developing is only airport development on a basic level. I guess Asobo wanted to protect the interests of the third party addon development ecosystem, which is fine because I understand their view as well from a business perspective.

I wish Asobo could develop a system which could cater to both scenery addon devs and also community people who simply want to enhance and amend world scenery points in addition to airports. I’m sure they can find a way where both parties can coexist.

I wish Asobo could develop a system which could cater to both scenery addon devs and also community people who simply want to enhance and amend world scenery points in addition to airports. I’m sure they can find a way where both parties can coexist.

I think the middle ground would be to allow editing scenery with stock assets, which would make sense both for stability and provides space for third-party development of custom scenery too. Much of the scenery gateway could focus on fixes for terrain and other glitches, which can fit in with custom scenery payware or freeware.

1 Like

I thought that too but then argued against myself that a lot of great freeware mod creators also don’t use custom 3D models, so I think that will tread on their toes a bit?

For sure it allows bigger content developers that can do their own custom modelling to differentiate their offerings though.

There’s a few reasons not to prioritize that concern. First, those freeware mods are not available on all platforms, and second, there are costs involved with having to manage and store a ton of separate mods for what should be global improvements to the base sim. Imagine having to install a free mod for every global location that has photogrammetry today, which is basically what had to be done in the past to get even close to the visual fidelity provided in the base product now.

To me, the best way to approach this is to consider that it’s not a zero sum game. Improvements to how the base product looks can free up third party devs, both with payware and freeware, to focus on other improvements.

2 Likes

Exactly! If freeware devs were given the tools in the Gateway System, they also get a level of assuredness that their creations and enhancements are surely implemented into the base sim for all simmers. The best part is that the submissions are now visible to all simmers and not just the people who downloaded the freeware mod.

I understand how giving away complete freedom to implement custom models can be an issue in terms of performance or copyrights etc but the best approach for me would be to allow it, but with super close moderation of all submitted content to check for performance and content compatibility. There’s only so much that can be done if world POI corrections were allowed only with stock assets.

1 Like

I think that’s where the stumbling block would be. If it was part of an official package, I’m pretty sure it’s subject to different regulations than if a 3rd party was releasing it.

1 Like

Hello,
me personly, i think the better way was to have the correct taxiway signs and gate numbers out of the box for all default airports.
with the hub you never know if the airport is corrected or not.

1 Like

I agree with you, but the gateway system is not just taxiway signs and markers, but also about about the airport designs, landscape, elevation etc. which is impossible to get right for all airports by default.

If the airport is correct, you won’t notice. If there are any errors in terms of design, landscape, data etc. you will immediately notice. So it’s a system built to have more correct airports than wrong ones.

1 Like

You’ll notice immediately if the airport is fixed when you see that the taxiways and ramps aren’t littered with lights sticking up on stalks waiting to cause a prop strike.

2 Likes

Is there a mechanism in place to prevent multiple people from editing the same airport at the same time? Like a “check-in / check-out” system?

Yes, only one person can check out an airport at a time.

3 Likes

For those mods, surely the greatest result is to have your work included in the base sim?

2 Likes

Is this Scenery Gateway system coming in SU 12? According to this snapshot, the Scenery Gateway system is supposed to come in SU 12: https://flightsimulator.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Slide1-2.png. However, I checked the SU 12 beta forum, and oddly enough, there isn’t a single thread on the Scenery Gateway system. If it’s coming in SU 12, I would have expected at least one thread in the beta forum to be started on it.

1 Like

A question about potentially FORCED Updated

If Dev A checks out an airport and does an Update that get approved.

Then later, Dev B checks out that same airport and does other changes, which are approved.

Then will a user have the option to either use the latest Changes done by Dev B, or will there still be the option to use the earlier version done by Dev A ?

Same question for scenery updates.

It is scheduled to be released when SU12 releases to the public. It’s not part of the SU12 Beta testing. However, this schedule could change.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be nice to know what starting options you have with the World Hub. Right now, if I’m not mistaken, improving an airport basically means starting from scratch and redoing it as you can’t edit the existing assets. I’m assuming the World Hub lets you edit the existing assets, otherwise it’s going to be far less versatile and useful than imagined. Pulling up preveious revisions would be a nice feature too.

Would be great questions for the upcoming developer live stream:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-march-sim-update-12-dev-stream-details/580401

Unless I’m mistaken, it’s the closed 50 participant alpha that’s going to run when SU12 launches, or is that already going?

No choice. We’d get the latest version (made by Dev B in your example). We will be receiving the updated airports via a mandatory base sim update, not optional world updates or marketplace content.

If the moderation/approval system is working correctly, the lack of choice shouldn’t matter because the newest approved version will always be the best, most accurate, highest quality, true to life recreation of an airport :slight_smile:

I’m curious as to whether the updated airports will be released Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Sim Updately? (Ok, I made that word up but I like it :crazy_face: )

1 Like

Do we know the scope of the Gateway yet? Is it just airports, or are other types of scenery adjustable as well?

It’s almost certainly just airports based on the latest info we got from the SDK folks. In fact, they downplayed the idea of it being used outside of “airport logic,” so it’s unlikely we’ll see anything beyond that for the foreseeable future.

Oh dear, that’s disappointing. I thought it had potential to allow users to add or correct autogen stuff the AI didn’t do well.

1 Like