Scenery Spikes

To be fair: I’ve just randomly picked 5 different airports all over the world and had a look around: none of these showed any terrain spikes.

So, while the spikes might be “everywhere” they are not really everywhere, if you know what I mean. And indeed, Asobo can’t check the whole planet for each update.

Flying around Edinburgh to see random terrain spikes since latest patch. They disppear on flying close, then reapear as you fly away.

Only in Texas… the world’s largest infinity pool! ~30 miles NNE of KAMA - Lake Meredith.

1 Like

The thing is that things don’t appear on every pc.
It is a huge difference, when writing a program for consoles, where everybody has the same hardware.

There was one in my way in the approach to the airport… that was annoying. Luckily the wind was calm, so I could do another approach, and on finals I realised that it had to be butter smooth… as a goaround was no option because of the spike :wink:

When people say they’re everywhere it means it can show up anywhere and it’s not confined to a single area. Asobo doesn’t need to “check the whole planet” after each update, they need to check their code before releasing each update. This is a coding problem as it did not occur before this latest update, well not at this level. There had been some towering spikes in certain areas. This however are smaller spikes and pyramids all over the place. And as I mentioned, if you don’t see it simply do the Aspen landing challenge and you will see them.

1 Like

yeah…there are a lot of these as you put it , Infinity Pools. And everything is bigger and better in Texas. :grinning:

There are several spikes around the KPDX area. This ruins the immersion of the sim and should be fixed ASAP by Asobo.

A couple of these things noticed on the approach into Stornoway ( EGPO, RW 18) this afternoon. Almost on the SW boundary of the airfield. Didn’t find any snow though.

This guy fixed all the spikes as far as I can tell around me (around KCON Concord, NH)

He’s fixed a lot of others as well, check it out…

And this

Does this elevation data fix also correct the water creeping up the coastlines?

No idea, but I don’t think so. That involves water masks in a lot of cases. It might fix some if the water climbing issues were due to bad elevation data, which abounds. But, others, no.

But here we’re talking about the new scenery spikes which have suddenly appeared all over the place.

He was originally just fixing bad data mostly in the mountain areas, he’s now taken on the whack-a-mole of the spikes as well…

1 Like

I just posted my scenery spike last night. They merged my post with some main thread with thousands of comments. I’m guessing this thread will also go that direction.

This sort of thing should not happen though, that someone is good and kind enough to repair Asobo’s cockup. :roll_eyes:

This is likely due to a new terrain mesh I’d say, I’m sure Asobo will fix it.

They must have not considered it a show stopper probably.

Well if they dont consider ugly spikes a show stopper they have a very different mindset to the average simmer. These spikes look terrible.

You guys may want to take a look here. This fine gent found the actual cause of the issue causing the spikes, and it’s bad terrain elevation files.

He used original files from an older, non-updated version of MSFS to create a mod that will revert the broken terrain back to pre-patch state with Asobo’s own files. And it should fix ALL the spike issues around the world, not just select areas that were manually patched up in these fixes posted above.

4 Likes

Thanks. Its crazy that an end user has to solve the issue though. Asobo really do need to get their act together.

4 Likes

As I said before, Why should someone else in the flight sim community fix Asobo and Microsoft’s cockups. mappamundi who created this file and fix, did it for free and is not paid anything by Microsoft and Asobo. Maybe Microsoft should pay up. :rage:

1 Like

I don’t disagree. The community should be focusing on creating 3rd party content to enhance the core sim, not fixing issues with the core sim itself.