SDK Q&A (Feb. 9th): POST-Discussion

When will there be an API or SimConnect protocol that allows developers to access B events? This is becoming a major problem for hardware developers as they cannot bind switches or external control software to more and more airplane controls.

14 Likes

Can you provide updates on what fixes are planned to prevent crashes in Aircraft Editor. Can you also provide more debug tools such as for the the fuel system? Thanks

1 Like

When will possible to personalize Mesh with 90º angles?

I’m developing sceneries that have vertical walls right after one apron and I’m not able to create two flat surfaces side by side with a vertical 90º degrees angle between them.

In old FSX or P3D was possible to do it and it was also possible to select the altitude of each polygon point.

It would be nice to have this kind of possibility for better and easier customization of airports.

Best regards

2 Likes

In the SDK the useless form that asks if you are sure to do the rebuild or export has been reintroduced with the last update.
They had finally removed it but now it has reappeared

Will you be provide the following String function:
String tool Used to place object strings (a number of otherwise standard objec files placed repeatedly along a line, as defined in a string.

This would be especially helpful for placing fences.

6 Likes

Would you consider tool preferences options.

Example: Aprons
Predefined option to have Ground merging set to OFF.
Predefined option to have exclude around OFF.

Alternate option:

• have the tool remember the previous setting of the last time used.
  • I.e with Apron. Remember Texture choice, Scale of texture, Ground merging choice and exclusion options.
1 Like

Will you be providing more freeware (Included in Base Sim) objects for designers to enhance airports for freeware?

Additionally could we leverage Black shark AI objects to either add placement of buildings that are missing or have the ability to change buildings that have been placed to the correct type. I.e hangar buildings on airports instead of houses or offices.

Alternate option:
Facades Tool

A facade is essentially an image wrapped around a polygon at a specified height. This can be used to build a simple buildings where the user will specify the shape of the structure at its base and its height. The user can add a texture to wrap the shape or MSFS provide generic set of scaling textures i.e office, building, warehouse, hangar

7 Likes

What is the update on Xbox series s and x cockpit screen going black and then CTD ??

2 Likes

Will you open AI piloting further in the SDK to give the community the opportunity to make improvements to it?

3 Likes

What progress has there been with the Blender to MSFS 2020 tool kit please? Any dates yet?

11 Likes

Are there any plans for better terraforming? There are currently two main issues that make terraforming cumbersome:

• mesh resolution too low / should be affecting higher LODs
  • falloff for heightmaps should be on the inside

Late edit because it probably needs a better explanation: the latter issue above is responsible for all funky behaviour of terraforming primitives in the falloff area. The falloff area is where there should be a transition/blend between the base mesh and the terraforming primitive. Having the falloff area on the outside of the primitive necessitates extrapolation/guessing, how the terraforming would continue outside of its boundaries. This extrapolation is not well done, it really only works for flattening primitives. As soon as there are slopes involved it becomes a headache.

addendum: also make it an option for runways to NOT terraform.

6 Likes

Will there be any provisions for higher resolution ground textures / decals (for markings, painted lines, manhole covers etc.)?

At the moment the high detail markings on aprons have the same resolution as the sand in the middle of the sahara. There should be an option for “decals” that do not get composited onto the base texture or alternatively to designate areas with increased texture resolution. Some creators are using 3d objects hovering at 1cm above the ground for small things like manhole covers - that can’t be the solution.

11 Likes

We’d like to know if the simconnect issues at high speed (external flight models) will be resolved any time soon. (along with that, getting Asobo to stop “fighting” with those…

3 Likes

Improvements for WASM API to make it possible to create complex aircraft without JS/HTML at all. Just for example: websockets, navigation …

4 Likes

Can we have a way to adjust lod draw distance on airport objects like taxiway signs, animations and clutter objects? The way it is now is that its seems to be a fixed drawdistance on the objects no mather how you adjust the graphic settings and its way to low. This all happened post SU5.

3 Likes

Can we expect to get more control of mount strategie of the sim parts and mods?
Developing with the SDK ist pretty time consuming due to the fact, that the sim loads everything what’s in the official directory and the community directory. When checking the packages in the dev mode menu, there is a status called mounted or sometimes error or shadowed during the active sdk dev of a comonent (airport/scenery/,…). It should be pretty easy to allow mounting and unmounting mods to prevent the developer from performing a restart of the whole sim. Restart costs 3-5 minutes depending on the system performance. Or it should be possible to set an addon to inactive in the content.xml file to decide wether a mod should be loaded/mounted.

9 Likes

Will there be better control of vegetation?

For instance:

• Grass: proper control of length (by polygon?), possibly other types of crops (wheat, corn,…)
  • Trees/Shrubs: placement of individual trees/bushes
9 Likes

+1 This would be really useful! If we could add the ability to force the sim to reload the mounted folder this would help a lot. My addon uses a custom gauge and xml behaviour defs to have state saving of all switches etc and custom spark modelling.

The only way I can make changes and test is by rebooting the sim every time. This would save me hours, and hours of work!

6 Likes

I would like better communication for Xbox. Some snapshot problems are just pc or Xbox.

Also when will you open the Xbox Version up to simbrief and other 3rd party Addons that are not on the Xbox.

Will there ever be a way to occlude the light? Currently all light sources(including indirect) except sun illuminate all surfaces right through other surfaces.

3 Likes