Separate binding for trim wheel and trim buttons

When flying something like the 172 which has both a trim wheel and trim buttons on the yoke, it’s extremely annoying that moving the wheel makes the buttons actually click. You can see them move and hear them click all the time while using the wheel.

It’s even worse if your trim wheel has the slightest input jitter, which otherwise causes no issues at all, but means the trim buttons are just constantly clicking away.

Please just unlink trim wheel from trim buttons by having a separate assignment. Thanks.

Yes…a hundred times YES. Thanks for making this.

1 Like

Now I finally know where that strange clicking comes from! :grinning:

It would be the best to have an axis for the trim wheel. But then we’ll all have to return our hardware to the manufacturer to have them replace the switches. Better not.

I’m not sure if I misunderstand something, but that’s already there:

you can assign buttons (Elevator Trim Up or Elevator Trim Down) and there’s also an Axis for a trim wheel (Elevator Trim Axis -100 - 100%). I also have no clicking when I use my trim wheel.

As far as i understood elevator trim is originally controlled by switch signals. And that’s how hardware controllers like the Honeycomb Bravo work. When you turn the wheel, it sends a certain amount of switch signals to the simulator, and the simulator reacts by increasing or decreasing the trim. For a trim axis you need a controller that is meant to control axis, like a throttle slider for instants. I can’t imagine how you could translate a switch-type (on-off) signal to a axis-type (linear) signal. But maybe someone else can.

True. I have the -100 - 100 axis assigned to an analog rotary wheel, but it still clicks and is very sensitive and you cannot desensitize it sufficiently using the sensitivity control in settings

1 Like

There are separate assignments for buttons and wheel, but they are not independent in the game. If fly the 172 for example and move your trim wheel, you wheel see and hear the trim buttons on the yoke move, regardless of if you do or do not have trim buttons assigned.

There are separate assignments for buttons and wheel, but they are not independent in the game. If fly the 172 for example and move your trim wheel, you wheel see and hear the trim buttons on the yoke move, regardless of if you do or do not have trim buttons assigned.

This is true of the sim. But in real life, the trim wheel is the primary controlling device. It’s connected to the buttons via a servo. So, turning the wheel doesn’t actuate the buttons. But actuating the buttons will actuate the wheel. (And for the purposes of the sim, it’s acceptable to do so in discrete digital steps – although in a real-life aircraft it may be an analog make/break circuit and the amount of pitch wheel change is variable by “nudging” the buttons quickly for small changes so that the full servo torque isn’t applied.)

From an accuracy/immersion standpoint, the button animation and sound effect should be de-coupled from input from the trim wheel control.

1 Like