Setting your default VR head position

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere…or if there is a simpler way of doing this…but this may be of help to some.

I have had problems working out hot to customise the default head position in VR. I know that I can set up custom camera positions and recall them, but I wanted to set the position of the default camera and couldn’t figure out how to do this.

One solution that I have found is to manually change the the cameras.cfg file for each aircraft.

This can be found in your packages folder. For steam users it should be something like C:\Users{YOUR USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight SimulatorD\Packages. Then within there look for the folder of the aircraft you wish to change. For the Cessna it is: \Official\Steam\Asobo-aircraft-c172sp-classic\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_classic\cameras.cfg

Before you change this file make sure you keep a copy in case anything goes wrong.

If you open the file in notepad you will see the settings for a number of cameras. Look for the PilotVR camara. For the Cessna this camera number 30 right at the bottom. Within that camera you will find settings for InitialXyz coordinates. I have changed mine to 0.041,0.076, 0.225…

Now when I go into VR my head is in the correct position straight away. Hope this is of help.

\Official[CAMERADEFINITION.30]
Title=“PilotVR”
Guid=“{A3DF6FF3-24A8-48F6-BD1C-4099D9211EDB}”
UITitle=“TT:GAME.PANEL_CAMERA_PILOT_VFR”
Description=“”
Origin=“Virtual Cockpit”
Track=“None”
TargetCategory=“None”
ClipMode=“Normal”
SnapPbhAdjust=“Swivel”
PanPbhAdjust=“Swivel”
XyzAdjust=1
ShowAxis=“YES”
AllowZoom=1
InitialZoom=0.35
SmoothZoomTime=2
BoundingBoxRadius=0.1
ShowWeather=1
CycleHidden=0
CycleHideRadius=0
ShowPanel=0
MomentumEffect=1
ShowLensFlare=0
PanPbhReturn=0
SnapPbhReturn=0
InstancedBased=0
NoSortTitle=0
NodesToHide=“”
Transition=0
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
PanAcceleratorTime=5
XYZRate=0.25
XYZAcceleratorTime=0
ZoomPanScalar=1
Category=“Cockpit”
SubCategory=“Pilot”
SubCategoryItem=“PilotVR”
InitialXyz= 0.041, 0.076, 0.225
InitialPbh= 0, 0, 0

11 Likes

This is a great tip! Now if only you’d find a way to easily get these coordinates when in sim for example, so that you can write them down and edit the .cfg file, it would be great!

Well, I think the coordinates are approximately in metres. So 0.100 would be about 10cm. So what I did was estimate how far I wanted my head to move and adjusted the original coordinates accordingly…

3 Likes

It’s a great shame that a simple feature has not been added to enable us to save this for each aircraft. E.g. tweak your position then use something like CTRL+SHIFT+HOME to create a user defined ‘default’ position.

1 Like

you might consider sending a Zendesk!

Yes, I agree.

What is a Zendesk?

Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

All done… :+1:

1 Like

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks and agree that it would nice tonnage a binding for this rather than have to go through a .CFG file.

Brilliant, thank you for this tip, works a dream. Just had to remember from FSX days of old which way was which for x, y and z!

Which ones are X, Y, Z , if you can share :slight_smile:

x is right and left, with right positive

y is up and down with up positive

z is forwards and backwards with forward positive

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.