Settings & Setup guide for the Tobii Eye Tracker 5

This one is taking me a while to train myself on :joy:

1 Like

Head tracking is highly useful when on medium or short final and in a turn - to keep track of the runway.

I love leaning in a bit over the console to get a better view!

I am as desesperate as you, I just received my tobii 5.

Totally unable to get it work in MSFS ā€¦

I have tried to deinstall the drivers and tobii time multiples time with revo as asked, I have reinstalled my MSFS ā€¦ iā€™m totally unable to enable the tracking.

The tobii seems to be working perfectly fine out of MSFS ā€¦

Me after using the Tobii for nearly a week.

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 20.51.35

Never skip neck day.

3 Likes

This Guide is great, but still having problems. I start with being positioned behind the pilots seat. I have been told to set up the F12 to Reset Head Tracking. I donā€™t have that option. I only have Pause Head Tracking. Any ideas what to do now. Thanks

This happens to me also. I had to manually map that key. Go into the controller options, click on the keyboard settings then search the bindings for that option, then assign a free key to it.

As you say, every time I start my view is far to the back. I press that key once, and it resets to a position far too close. I press it a second time, and then it is usable.

I have done that with the keyboard. There is no Reset Head Tracking only Pause Head Tracking.

Finally, it wasnā€™t F12 it was F8. Just did some testing and after I found the Reset mapped to F8 I got it to work. Still a little jerky on the head movement but a lot of that is me.

1 Like

Play around with the speed/sensitivity for pitch/roll of your head. And consider turning off eye tracking entirely, and also the last option, which slowly draws your view back to home. I found this messes with you if you have to look in a direction for a while as your find your home position is no longer home anymore.

Yeah, that key is a bit finicky. I would prefer a proper ā€˜home viewā€™ key that you press once (when settled on your preferred ā€˜cruise viewā€™ if you will), and a quick press of that sorts you out. No different to the default cockpit view on a yoke hat switch.
I find the Tobii ā€˜redefiningā€™ what I mean by reset - each time - to be more distracting than it needs to be.

It should also come packaged with a neck-brace :joy:

1 Like

I typically press F12 twice to get a decent seated head position with Tobii, then use the scroll wheel on my mouse to zoom in & out as needed. Thereā€™s also a hat switch on my throttle dedicated to raising, lowering, and side-side head movements.

I tried flying yesterday with Tobii disabledā€¦ It felt restrictive and unnatural to say the least!

Lol. regarding the neck comments. It takes a bit of getting used to (looking around while in game), but once you do, you wonā€™t go back! Also, getting Tobii setup well within MSFS can make a BIG difference in how much youā€™re having to move or look around ā€“ lending to less neck-strain.

1 Like

I would like a separate slider specifically for pitch. Turning your head side to side causes less ache than pitching down, and especially up.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that already there? Iā€™m not at my flight pc just now to confirm but Iā€™m sure one of the first things I did was restrict the pitch sensitivity compared to the yaw.

Pitch, and yaw are combined. I meant a separate slider for each. There is a separate one for roll, for example.

I had a weird problem this evening, one I never saw all last week, and not on Monday.

Other then Monday today is the first chance I have to fly since the extreme weather. During the flight I noticed some odd movement while looking directly ahead. I made a note to check my view of the glare shield, and the top of the engine.

While holding my head steady, the view would occasionally move upwards all by itself. When I reset my view, I tried to replicate this movement myself, and to cause the view change I observed before I had to strain my head upwards.

I reran the calibration tool, disabled FSRealstic, flew over water, and also while on the ground, so Iā€™m quite certain this isnā€™t turbulence related.

While in flight itā€™s not a massive issue, but while on final this shudder shift in view is really distracting. Iā€™m not sure what has caused this, why I didnā€™t have I before.

Iā€™ll say this for the Tobii, it makes the Oshkosh Fisk approach for 27 pretty fun!

So much more intuitive and (dare I say it, immersive), following the railway track and then over the pits, downwind, base and final.

Muuuuch better than the static cockpit hat-switching views Iā€™ve been used to.

2 Likes

This is really great information, thanks for sharing. That said, do you know where this information should have been?

In the manual. That came in the box.

I think I may have found out what was causing the random twitching, even though my head is perfectly still. Though I have no idea why I never saw it the first week, although I may attribute that to the ā€œawwwā€ factor of having head tracking again.

Itā€™s my beard! :joy:

I suspect the cameras are having a difficult time seeing what is face, and what is not. If I grasp my beard in my hand, to cover it, and remain motionless, it appears more stable. If I take my hand away it will appear to be okay for a few seconds, then there will occasionally be a sudden shift, quicker than I can move my head.

My theory is that it sees my face as being larger when it sees my beard, and assumed I have moved closer to the camera, so the view shifts. After a few seconds it thinks better of it, and moves back. The occasional up/down shift I havenā€™t figured out, but its almost certainly the same cause.

Now as to the resolution, Iā€™m not going to shave so perhaps I will have to resort to wearing a face mask when flying. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then Tobii needs a support-my-COVID-virus-beard option!

1 Like

Anyone have an issue with the image being too zoomed in? Iā€™ve looked around and canā€™t find any settings related to default start position, but itā€™s wrong in almost every aircraft.

I either start too close to the gauges, or in the backseat. Hitting the eye tracker reset binding doesnā€™t help either.

1 Like