Severe Turbulence for GA aircraft

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

yes

Brief description of the issue:

severe turbulence even with clear weather

Hi!.

I dont know if most users are experiencing this but all flights with live weather are experiencing way too much turbulence, even when setting weather preset to CLEAR, it is a constant struggle to fly and keep aircraft level, Im a real world pilot and this is very far from real life.

I’ve created my own weather presets with almost NO wind to counteract this behaviour… but if I put one knot of wind, Aircraft start rocking in all directions… you can never achieve straight and level flight.

Is it me? is there a way to tune down turbulence for Live weather?

Thank you for your help!

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

n/a

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

n/a

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

all the time

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

all flights with small general aviation aricraft

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

medium end, just thrustamaster airbus joystick

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

latest

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I don’t encounter that here. Turbulence seems very real in the 172 and other small GA stuff.

What are your flight model settings?

3 Likes

Hi Pieter…

I always use modern flight model settings…

Hm, as said, I don’t see this behavior… Can you be more specific?

Aircraft? Location? The METAR even maybe? :slight_smile:

Might be that certain metar/location combinations trigger weird effects.

A video would also be a huge help, but I understand that might be a bit cumbersome.

2 Likes

Same here! Unable to maintain level flight with a small GA in live weather conditions! 4kts crosswind feels like a rollercoaster!

3 Likes

Turbulence is mainly under modelled or even missing altogether but there are occasions, mainly flying with live weather at altitude in the middle of the day, where the turbulence is unrealistically jerky.

no

GA planes do not experience unexpected turbulence or any difficulties maintaining level flight

n/a

This is here. Feels pretty much like the real thing.

1 Like

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No mods affecting weather

Brief description of the issue:

Thermal updrafts are ridiculously overdone and/or having an extreme effect on non-glider aircraft.

Since the most active bug-reports in this section are more aimed at the erratic weather transitions & wonky mechanical turbulence, I felt that this issue really needed to be highlighted in its own thread. The last thing GA flyers need is this issue overlooked in the next update…

In short, these insane thermal updrafts (introduced in the glider update) are creating very unrealistic and unrecoverable situations on aircraft they shouldn’t be having such a profound effect on in any case. In the video below, this skyrocketing updraft happened in the exact same spot each time and after 3 go-arounds, I had enough. I had also been experiencing downdrafts in the surrounding area (hence coming in a smidge high), but I got walloped with this updraft on final instead.

The wind was a gentle 2 knots at 290M, clear skies, 26c. This should have been perfect conditions for flying… Since this bug tends to be localized, I’d be interested to see if anybody else experiences the same - Fly to NWWC, Rwy27 with similar conditions and/or Live Weather , if you’re interested…

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

19° 43’ 14.00" S 163° 39’ 40.02" E

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

4th Feb 2023, 00:00 UTC .

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Happens everywhere. In the example attached, this was at NWWC, Rwy 27, on a hot, clear day (using Live Weather).

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Not relevant.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Not sure of the build number. It was the update where thermals were first introduced.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Hi @SavvySigma
In case you didn’t have the chance to watch the Dev Discussion video the other day (Twitch), the GOOD news is that SU12 will include not only changes to the way turbulence is implemented in the sim (starts around 40:30 point in the video), but also adds a slider for turbulence in the options to go from “realistic”, to “medium”, to “low” (starts around 44:20 point of the video).
Makes an interesting few minutes of watching.
Regards

3 Likes

In the latest Dev update I believe it was stated that there will be a switch to turn off the thermal updrafts and downdrafts and/or turbulence, if you don’t want them. If they are exaggerated as you have pointed out, that may not be a satisfactory answer. I don’t recall how this was stated exactly but it’s something you might want to check out in more detail, so I thought I’d mention it.

P.S. After posting, I see another forum poster beat me to it and with a better memory! :grin:

1 Like

To be honest they are not excessive in amount, just a bit too common (occur in times and places they should not) and effect the aircraft in an unrealistic way (rotating around the CoG instead of moving the whole aircraft).

As already stated you will be able to turn them off soon.

Thanks all, I’ve been out of the loop these last few weeks, so it’s good to hear it’s being addressed in some way :slight_smile:

It’s simply evading the issue and that doesn’t sit well with me. But at this point, I’m just happy to have the option of removing it entirely when flying certain aircraft.

Cheers,

The first part of their video describes how they’re changing the way weather will be generating updrafts, etc, which should result in a better overall realistic experience. The second part addresses the slider. So it’s not just having a slider that should help the overall experience in relation to your areas of concern. As always, we’ll have to see if the adjustments they make truly give us a much better overall “realistic” experience. Come on (tentatively) 14 March.
Regards

2 Likes

Okay, so I’ve watched your video twice, but I fail to see the problem. This approach looks perfectly plausible and realistic under the conditions.

3 Likes

Thank you, you have just made my day!

1 Like

It doesn’t. There is no reason for this updraft at all. Turbs with the terrain yes, downdrafts with the falling terrain infront of the airport and his headwind yes. Thermals over forest? Absolutely not.

2 Likes