Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

the game creators are just the wrong persons to point with the fingers on. All can just only use the existing hardware, existing algorithm, mechanism,… and these works currently so as what we see… ( as mentioned normal AA stuff ). User can try to use e.g. DSR DL , or in-game high render-scales, but it will never be 100% go away, in none of the existing games.

No they aren’t. At least in this case, the developers admitted themselves that they’re the ones that introduced the change that causes this issue. I don’t expect games to be 100% shimmer free. I know how rasterization works. As far as I’m concerned, if you want to deny this as a real issue, you are only adding another brick to that wall.

2 Likes

This video looks like a normal aliasing problem, seen in many games when the anti-aliasing isn’t the best. We do have this on thin objects in MSFS since release. But it is different to the shimmering on mid-distance buildings only, which many people are talking about here and which appeared only since SU5.

Edit - to be clear here’s my short video of this, which I have posted previously

3 Likes

just point to the question who can realy avoid such kind of AA artifacts and what is currently the normal… I can see in all my other flight sims and games similar AA artifacts, and we can read again and again within these topic from the users " I see same in other games ". So may be all of these developers introduced the same change or it is caused from the current AA allgorithms together with a combination of many tiny details and resolution.

EDIT: and because the post from @RebuffedBee9595 … I also speak about the AA artifacts from these linked video only ( these post ) , not the issue reported e.g. from RebuffedBee9595

1 Like

I have read in numerous posts that Xbox players also started to complain about missing AA/Shimmering since SU9.
Is this the same issue we have been talking since August 2021 or is it unrelated?

1 Like

I hope they complain about the quality so Microsoft will fix it.

Shimmery shimmeraa

1 Like

2022 and they can’t resolve this issue?? They CAN fix this because it wasn’t an issue before update 5. Apparently, it seems that Microsoft and Asobo, either, really don’t consider this and other issues that are logged important or they just simply let the sim get away from them. Because honestly, I don’t think it’s imperative that we need “another” prop plane from Microsoft right now. This is comparable to hanging a chandelier in a haunted house. I’m completely at a loss. Take care guys…

8 Likes

I’ve just been turning on my PC lately to check for Windows Updates and MS Store updates then testing the sim, if I still see the shimmer I turn it back off… LOL. What a waste of money to have us build these expensive computer systems but be presented with such Xbox 360 graphics quality… Totally unacceptable!

4 Likes

It even says “Bug logged” in the title, which I thought means that Asobo acknowledged it and is working on a fix. But nothing even after more than 8 months.

3 Likes

Nah they are not working on it, all they said was “DLSS should fix it”

2 Likes

I’ve had this issue for a long time and gave up trying to fix it. I’ve reduced it but cant get rid of it since update 5. I wish Asobo would pay more attention to it and I’ve sent in ZENDESK tickets about it too which I’d suggest as many people as possible should take the time to do.
For some people I know, its been a game breaker for them. It seems to be an AA problem. For those having the issue, do you find if you turn your head 45 degrees to one side in VR does it reduce a lot? this would be typical with AA issues.
All we can do is keep screaming about it until they listen.

1 Like

Nah I’ve found viewing angle makes no difference. It also doesn’t. Seem to be a classical AA issue.

The famous fluffy seats on the new PMDG 737 show an example of (one of the) VR shimmering problems: In 2d mode, there is a slight shimmer visible when moving the camera, but no shimmer when camera is still. In VR mode, I have this shimmer constantly even when head/camera is still. Thankfully I am not looking at the seats often, but it highlights some difference in AA/shimmering between 2d and VR.

2 Likes

Any improvements for anyone?

As an FYI, this anti-aliasing phenomenon is visible in MSFS still at least for me. If you look at the avionic screens for the Dark Star in random people’s videos, the top white outer lining of the screen is very jagged and that line becomes aliased depending on the roll of your aircraft. I’ve noticed this in my sim and also with P3D in various LCD aircraft.

Timestamp: 13:37 for shimmering screens.

1 Like

It’s more than that as @RebuffedBee9595 video shows, in regards to shading issues which I also mentioned before.

Nope.

3 Likes

Asobo said that the shimmering buildings (the most prominent issue in this thread) will be fixed with DLSS, which is coming with Sim Update 10 late August. Otherwise it does not look like standard TAA will be improved any time soon.

This is an issue with all glass displays across all aircraft, and has not changed since release. The glass displays are drawn using vector graphics (as such AA has no effect on them), which means there will be aliasing and legibility issues when they are not given enough pixels for rendering (especially prominent when zooming out and/or using a render scale below 100%). Perhaps a Glass Cockpit Supersampling option could alleviate this.

1 Like

I honestly miss MSAA x8 quality AA, but I realize that if we did use MSAA the sim would have terrible performance, but I know that we can still do a better job in terms of quality than this, right?

MSAA would be rather useless with all the shader and texture aliasing/shimmering in today’s games, and I doubt that MSFS would be an exception. Switch to another AA method or turn it off entirely and you will see how much shimmering has to be cleaned up from the unprocessed image. Even a strong SSAA wouldn’t be able to cope.

It is true however that most TAA implementations leave a lot to be desired, and Asobo’s is no exception. This is why very often DLSS looks better than native rendering, because NVIDIA are using the best-in-class TAA solution (followed by FSR 2.0 from the looks of it).